Sign in to follow this  
Corvette3

[HELP] Cleaning Completed Models with PF

So my 42030 just took a nasty fall down some stairs into a pile of dirt, as far as i can tell nothing is broken just a few connections gave way and it still drives, but it is very dirty now, anyone got tips for cleaning it? preferably without dismantling it too much as it took me 14 hours to build and i don't have a lot of time to get it looking nice again.

Here is some post carnage if anyone is curious(lo-res though)

2014-10-31-125729_zps1df5d993.jpg

It looks like that spill opened it up pretty good. How difficult would it be to remove the PF parts that can't get wet? I haven't had any experience with cleaning Technic with PF, but I have dealt with regular City/Train w/PF set cleaning by dismantling larger sections to access and remove the PF stuff. That or take it apart in as large sections as you can for cleaning and quicker reconstruction.

If that would be to time demanding, I can only think of a spray bottle of water, tooth brush, and cloth. For larger sections where there are no PF parts you could dip in a bucket tupperware filled with water if it is really dirty. You could probably knock either of these out in less than an hour, while being very thorough :classic:

The PF is fairly heavily integrated (i think) but i i guess its not too dirty, ill try wiping all the dust off with a cloth i guess, i wish i was more careful around those stairs on the patio, it went out of IR range (or maybe the sun interfered) and before i could do anything it tumbled right to the bottom.

If the dirt was dry when it went in than get a can of air or something of the sort and blow the crap out of it. But if it was wet then like Freekysch said "I think the only way is to take it apart piece by piece".

Nah it was dry dirt and dust mostly, i have managed to clean it up pretty good now but a few of the moving panels are a bit stiff so it could use a bit more, but i'm happy with it for now.

An air blower and some cotton buds maybe. Or, if you have some long tweezers or a set of long nose pliers, you can use a piece of tissue in soapy water and hopefully reach the parts you need to clean. Avoiding the PF parts.

Good luck with it.

H