Mister Phes

Catapult Raft SYSTEMized

I thought I'd make a few modifications to Catapult Raft from the hideous 4+ theme to make it more SYSTEMized.

front.jpg

The thumbnails below are clickable links

otherside2.jpg_thumb.jpg rear.jpg_thumb.jpg side.jpg_thumb.jpg top.jpg_thumb.jpg front.jpg_thumb.jpg

I wasn't very pleased with the end result however. It appears the original set comes with too many oversized pieces and when a SYSTEM mini-figure is added the "juniorisation" factor really jumps out.

The main modifications I've made is replaced the black catapult piece with a brown equivalent and added a second catapult. I've moved the mast to the front and added a brown plate in the middle. Overall I think it looks fairly bad, not really an improvement over the original - its just reconfigured with a couple of SYSTEM mini-figures thrown in instead.

However, I thought I'd show everyone and get some feedback because I think at a later date I shall attempt to build a decent SYSTEM Catapult Raft.

The catapult makes it so <insert that tiresome argument>! Have you ever seen a raft with a catapult?

You need to scrap the catapult and the leave on the mast to make it look a bit more SYSTEMized... IMO...

I don't think the use of the 'log' pieces is a particularly bad idea, but the the catapults are. The lantern is a bit big for system but also not that bad.

Tis total crud, but that is to expected from anything that is even remotely related to 4+.

It looks crap. Doesn't even look like a raft. Not your fault though. Throw it away and stick with the Raft Raiders.

Agreed. Pirates barely ever use rafts, they don't have plants growing on the masts, and most importantly they don't have any catapults. period. What are they going to catapult anyway? Fish?

I say abandon this here and work on some Islander temples. ;-)

If they were marooned they may have made rafts. The leaves are attached not growing, and are there for shade. As for the catapult... you got me? :S

If they were marooned they may have made rafts. The leaves are attached not growing, and are there for shade. As for the catapult... you got me? :S

If they were marooned, where did they get the catapult from?

For all that is lego, please remove that hideous pirate flag!!!!!!! :-X .It is total badness. Total...badness. Howver, that is not your fault, it's Lego's fault. For making these 4+ things in the first place. Doesn't even look like a raft, more like a land-based moc. Besides those things, it's pretty good.

For all that is lego, please remove that hideous pirate flag!!!!!!! :-X .It is total badness. Total...badness. Howver, that is not your fault, it's Lego's fault. For making these 4+ things in the first place.

I second this!

The catapult makes it so <insert that tiresome argument>! Have you ever seen a raft with a catapult?

You need to scrap the catapult and the leave on the mast to make it look a bit more SYSTEMized... IMO...

No I've never see a catapult on a raft, but when you think about it, it would have to be an extremely large raft to support a catapult otherwise it would capsize when the catapult fired.

But I thought I'd keep the catapult as part of the theme, afterall it was supposed to be an improved Catapult Raft.

It looks crap. Doesn't even look like a raft. Not your fault though. Throw it away and stick with the Raft Raiders.

Well that would be the easy solution but I think I'll give it another revision.

For all that is lego, please remove that hideous pirate flag!!!!!!! :-X

Yeah, I was contemplating that maybe I should have used a traditional Pirate flag.

If they were marooned, where did they get the catapult from?

They conveniently washed up on a beach with two broken catapults in the sand! X-D

If you really want to improve it, you should remove the catapults...

Yeah, I guess you're right, but then it wouldn't be a Catapult Raft. However, I think I'll abandon this project for the time being because there's another small project I'd like to work on as soon as I get that frontpage out of the way.

looks great...and it looks so much better with-out those dreadful mini-figs! :-D

good-bye to those horrible mini-figs!

Why does it look great though? Everyone else has said it looks terrible so is there a particular reason you have a different opinion? I ask because I'm interested in what you think laddie!

Well I guess I'm different I like the really raft look with all the brown bricks, I really like the lantern, the catapults are O.K.(not very real-listic though) and flag well...O.k. that sucks, you should replace it!

Would you agree the "pillars" which the catapults are attached to look stupid? I do!

I really do see why Mr Tiber suggested to remove them.

Would you agree the "pillars" which the catapults are attached to look stupid? I do!

I really do see why Mr Tiber suggested to remove them.

yes doesn't match the color sceme! ;-)

The reason that colour scheme was used was because that's the colour of pieces that were included with the set. I just added a couple of brown 2 x 2 to add to the height.

But I agree that they look horrendous and never really liked them in the first place, but I wanted to use as much of Catapult Raft as possible.

The reason that colour scheme was used was because that's the colour of pieces that were included with the set. I just added a couple of brown 2 x 2 to add to the height.

But I agree that they look horrendous and never really liked them in the first place, but I wanted to use as much of Catapult Raft as possible.

True, and you probally kept the catapults because it is called the CATAPULT RAFT!

Yes, that's entirely correct Capn Kirk!

Now everyone may notice (at the time of me writing this post) that Capn Kirk 911 is in the Bad Kids group. This will happen to anyone who makes too many short posts within a small period of time. The Eurobricks Administration asks that you focus on the quality of your posts rather rather than the quantity.

Yes, its fine to write some short posts as Mr Tiber has done in this thread, but when EVERY post you write is short and doesn't appear to have much thought put into it, it appears you're spamming to get a high post count.

Yes, that's entirely correct Capn Kirk!

Now everyone may notice (at the time of me writing this post) that Capn Kirk 911 is in the Bad Kids group. This will happen to anyone who makes too many short posts within a small period of time. The Eurobricks Administration asks that you focus on the quality of your posts rather rather than the quantity.

Yes, its fine to write some short posts as Mr Tiber has done in this thread, but when EVERY post you write is short and doesn't appear to have much thought put into it, it appears you're spamming to get a high post count.

A question out of curiosity, is this moving to the "Bad Kids" automated (after posting short 10 posts) or is manual action required by an admin?

The raft is still not in one of the indexes. I would like to put it in the Index:Land based MOCS --> vignettes.

But it is not really land-based and it is also not a ship...

Its best not to find out the hard way. Perhaps that question is best left for another thread, since this thread is about my cruddy raft - what do you think of my cruddy raft Bonaparte? You haven't told me what you think yet!

Its best not to find out the hard way. Perhaps that question is best left for another thread, since this thread is about my cruddy raft - what do you think of my cruddy raft Bonaparte? You haven't told me what you think yet!

Well, the pictures are of an extremely high quality. I guess they are taken with that superb Canon EOS 400D camera of yours!

The colors combine very well and the overall look is as it should be. My favorite part is the yellow lamp.

I don't think it is very sea-worthy with these big catapults, but I guess you are not playing with it when you are sitting in your bath, so thats not really an issue :-D .

One suggestion: when you use 2 mini-figs in a MOC it seems best to give them a different face. Or maybe the are twins?