Sign in to follow this  
LEGODalekbuster523

The 'I have a disability' thread

I had a bit of an incident on another forum that has led me to think it might be a good idea to create a thread where people can share if they have a disability. It would be great if the moderators could pin this as it could potentially help those of us who have a disability that may affect the way we post.

I'll start: I have a mild case of autism and sometimes it can impact the way I interact with people and engage in conversations.

Looking at the EB community I think everyone respects eachother. Just like the 'Rude Moderators' topic, if there are problems the community is always helping happily and I'v not seen clear harassment and insults. So I don't think this thread is really necessary. But I like the idea of this.

I had a bit of an incident on another forum that has led me to think it might be a good idea to create a thread where people can share if they have a disability. It would be great if the moderators could pin this as it could potentially help those of us who have a disability that may affect the way we post.

I'll start: I have a mild case of autism and sometimes it can impact the way I interact with people and engage in conversations.

I'm right there with you: I've got a fairly mild case of Autism as well... LEGO is my outlet for stress and with for things I can't help / control in the real world I can make a reality in the Lego world. In there, I can have my dream job as a steam train engineer, a older house from around 1910 and a 1960's Ford Anglia 105E, which was never sold in the United States. (I kinda fell in love with the car type after seeing Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets.)

This would probably fit better in the Community subforum than in General Lego Discussion...

Anyway, I'm on the autism spectrum and have NVLD (Non-Verbal Learning Disorder). I'm sure both of those things played a role in attracting me to Lego as a child.

As a side note, I've always thought it would be a good thing if the AFOL community had some sort of census or survey. I know there have been surveys but I've seen very little in the way of actual sociological studies of what sort of people make up the AFOL community. And I think solid numbers would help point the community toward ways they could be more inclusive, as well as giving insight into exactly how large the AFOL community as a whole is.