Indiana Jones - the Flying Wing

23 replies to this topic

#1 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Member: 1771

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:05 AM

Posted Image

As the title says, here you can see my version of the most beautiful vehicle of the entire Indy series: the Flying Wing.

Here is a pic, that links to the gallery (when public):
Posted Image

I know there are many versions of this plane, not last the Official LEGO Indiana Jones one. I just wanted to try and build it the way I see it.
I had some reference pic from the net, and many of them changed in some particoular: one had 6 blades in the propellers, one had 4 propellers, one had the propellers to the front and most to the back... , and so on. This is as near to the Raiders of the Lost Ark I could get, considering the pieces I have, and the small features I wanted to stress (like the working landing gear).

I hope you like it :blush: .

Comments and CC are welcome.

LuxorV

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Looking for new decals or help customising your LEGO elements? Check the Minifig Customisation Index!

My Brickshelf --- My Flickr

#2 kilegrant

kilegrant

Member: 3322

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:34 PM

Awesome job on that  :classic: I love that vehicle. It's one of my all-time favorite scenes in the movie. Just add the German Mechanic, and you're good to go :wink:

#3 Belloq

Belloq

• Help! It's Stuck in There!

Member: 2193

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:54 PM

I like it! Though I feel kinda sadd that the gun turret is missing or I can't see ut. I really like the cabin, though tis a bit too modern, but all in all, a nice model. :thumbup:

I'll tell you what George's problem was when writing this film. He was so preoccupied with whether or not he could…he didn’t stop to think if he should. That’s…that’s chaos.
^Someone on A few scenes in Indy 4

The moral of Indy is... "Don't get in a swordfight with a Russian chick while hightailing it through the South African jungle while your mom is driving the truck because she will look away from the nonexistent road to criticize your footwork and accidentally cause some oddly bulbous jungle flora to whack you repeatedly right in the junk."
^What some of us learned from Indy 4 (which I did enjoy, I but thought the post above was hilarious)

Apparently Rachel Dawes was also using cheap parlor tricks to hide her true identity in Batman Begins.
^An explanation as to why a different actress was cast in The Dark Knight.

"Indiana Jones and The Temple of Shame" :P

#4 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback :blush:

View PostBelloq, on Jun 18 2008, 06:54 PM, said:

I like it! Though I feel kinda sadd that the gun turret is missing or I can't see ut. I really like the cabin, though tis a bit too modern, but all in all, a nice model. :thumbup:
Do you mean that blocky thing in the rear of the middle section with two bars/barrels srouting from it :look: ? 'Cause, you know, I seem to see it... :wink:

As for the German mechanic, unfortunately I lack a plain flesh torso to apply my own custom decal on :hmpf_bad: .

LuxorV

Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Looking for new decals or help customising your LEGO elements? Check the Minifig Customisation Index!

#5 Athos

Athos

• Sloppiness Seeker

Member: 84

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:21 PM

I'm not too sure about the cockpit, though I'm not sure I can think of a better solution. Beyond that it looks pretty good.

Steve

#6 Adam

Adam

• Smexy

Member: 3197

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

Awesome MOC. Really, that is pretty cool. One thing though: There was red on the plane?

:thumbup:  from me!

Posted Image

L'Oréal Diablo : Level 3 Rogue

Power: 6 Health: 9/9 Gold: 41

Inventory: Scimitar (Longsword, WP: 3), Bedroll, Potion (x2), Tonic, Cowl

Have a look at my Flickr page!

Howdy! I'm currently playing as Abigail Nelson in Tammo's Silver City Mafia!

#7 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

Thanks Athos. Yes, the cockpit had to be a compromise solution, since I couldn't find a better one.

View PostAdam, on Jun 19 2008, 01:15 AM, said:

Awesome MOC. Really, that is pretty cool. One thing though: There was red on the plane?

:thumbup:  from me!
Yes, there is red on the fins, as background to the nazi symbols:
Posted Image

LuxorV

#8 JimButcher

JimButcher

• Bubbler

Member: 2436

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:09 PM

awesome! :classic: i was going to make this with the crappy wing piece from the CITY passenger plane along with a camp and the fight and the trucks, but theres a lot of things i say i do... im a lazy MOCer... :tongue:

anyways, the cockpit is very accurate. maybe in the future you could add some gunner bubbles.  :classic:  also, i think a fight with Indy and the boxer guy would be cool.  :thumbup:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Currently playing Hybros, 53-year-old male imp Assassin in the Heroica RPG
Stats | Bio
Flickr  

#9 Jessica

Jessica

Member: 3334

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

That is just awesome  :classic: How long did you take on it anyway? Just curious.

#10 zero1312

zero1312

• Devilish Crap!!!!!

Member: 1455

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:46 PM

Where's the mechanic!!!!!!!! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it!!
If my fate is to be destroyed................ I must simply laugh!!!

MOCpages:
http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/99432

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:47 AM

Thanks all :blush:

As I said before:

View PostLuxorV, on Jun 18 2008, 07:16 PM, said:

As for the German mechanic, unfortunately I lack a plain flesh torso to apply my own custom decal on :hmpf_bad: .
:wink:

Passing on...

View PostJessica, on Jun 20 2008, 01:21 AM, said:

That is just awesome  :classic: How long did you take on it anyway? Just curious.
First of all, Welcome to EB :thumbup:  (I always forget to pass in the 'My name is' forum :look: ).
It took me about 2 hours from the first mouse click of the reference images research to the completed model.

LuxorV

#12 Batbrick

Batbrick

• I'm back ...with a banana

Member: 1917

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:02 AM

Well done! The Flying Wing is a vehicle I've never perfectly seen replicated in Lego, but you've done a fine job. The cockpit choice piece is great I think, not entirely accurate but one of the best I've seen. The red at the tail is a good touch, and everything seems to be in good proportion too. If there was one thing to change is that I would bulk it up a bit, that way you get a bigger plane and an easier way to make a proper turret too. Other than that, great work and thanks for sharing!

Batbrick Away!  :devil:
And see and comment on KDog's hilarious Space Comic here:
Posted Image
Click on pic to see and comment now!  And please add this ad to your sig so more people can see this fantastic work!

Batbrick Away!

#13 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:58 AM

View PostBatbrick, on Jun 20 2008, 11:02 AM, said:

Well done! The Flying Wing is a vehicle I've never perfectly seen replicated in Lego, but you've done a fine job. The cockpit choice piece is great I think, not entirely accurate but one of the best I've seen. The red at the tail is a good touch, and everything seems to be in good proportion too. If there was one thing to change is that I would bulk it up a bit, that way you get a bigger plane and an easier way to make a proper turret too. Other than that, great work and thanks for sharing!

Batbrick Away!  :devil:
Thanks for the positive comments, BatBrick :blush:

I'm waiting to get my hands on Peril in Peru, to have more wing pieces to bulk it up :wink:

LuxorV

#14 Lt. Col. Thok

Lt. Col. Thok

• Captain Blue Hair is the best!

Member: 1188

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

Very nice, Luxor!  LoL, I just watched this movie last night.  Coincidence?  I think not..... :wink:
Quick! Defend your breakfast choice!CLICK
Posted Image
My "Pirates in the Snow" Series: Part One~Part Two~Part Three
Follow my new LDD Castle series: Church~Butcher Shop~Soldier's Pub~Blockhouse
Is it just a coincidence that Grand Theft Auto and the Greater Toronto Area use the same initials? :-p
My Brickshelf Posted Image<---Thanks Joey!

#15 Lanker

Lanker

Member: 3148

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

Yeah!! Looks great!  :wub: I have wondered why TLC didn't make their own Flying Wing, but it seems they have, or? But since TLC sets use to be a bit 'bulky' I think your Flying Wing looks way better. I like the cockpit but I can't see the MG Turret  :sceptic:  well well nothing to bother about! Well done!!   :sweet:

#16 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:40 AM

Thanks everybody :blush:

On a side note: maybe I just do not understand what you mean, but I consider this a gun turret...
Posted Image

LuxorV

#17 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:49 AM

Great piece of work, LuxorV  :thumbup:

I love it very much. IMO, there is nothing wrong this set, and I think you have done a very great job.  :sweet:
The plane is crafted in a very smart way, and from that picture, I can see it looks pretty big.

Furthermore, in order to illustrate a parking lot for this baby, you inverted the old curve road baseplates. I think this is a very smart move. Now, it's time to bring in Marion and the German Boxer.  :tongue:

My BrickLink Store // Classic Town.net // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

Read the site guidelines || Index of helpful tutorials

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

#18 bub166

bub166

Member: 2288

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:50 PM

View PostLuxorV, on Jun 18 2008, 03:05 AM, said:

As the title says, here you can see my version of the most beautiful vehicle of the entire Indy series: the Flying Wing.

Here is a pic, that links to the gallery (when public):
Posted Image

I know there are many versions of this plane, not last the Official LEGO Indiana Jones one. I just wanted to try and build it the way I see it.
I had some reference pic from the net, and many of them changed in some particoular: one had 6 blades in the propellers, one had 4 propellers, one had the propellers to the front and most to the back... , and so on. This is as near to the Raiders of the Lost Ark I could get, considering the pieces I have, and the small features I wanted to stress (like the working landing gear).

I hope you like it :blush: .

Comments and CC are welcome.

LuxorV

The only thing it is missing, is the Brawler who gets cut up.  :wink:
Come to the dark side. We have more cookies than the Rebels.

#19 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:25 AM

View Postbub166, on Jun 29 2008, 12:50 AM, said:

The only thing it is missing, is the Brawler who gets cut up.  :wink:
I'm still working on that :wink:

LuxorV

#20 Lanker

Lanker

Member: 3148

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:41 AM

View PostLuxorV, on Jun 23 2008, 09:40 AM, said:

Thanks everybody :blush:

On a side note: maybe I just do not understand what you mean, but I consider this a gun turret...
Posted Image

LuxorV

Sorry hehe the MG turret do blend in to the background so well that I didn't spot it...
Is there an official/TLC Flying Wing and in that case where can I find it!?  :cry_happy:

#21 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:08 AM

View PostLanker, on Jul 2 2008, 12:41 PM, said:

Sorry hehe the MG turret do blend in to the background so well that I didn't spot it...
Is there an official/TLC Flying Wing and in that case where can I find it!?  :cry_happy:
As long as I know, the only 'official' LEGO version for now is the one in the Indiana Jones Original Adventures. But I wouldn't be surprised to see it released next year: like SW, they already have the models ready (as they built them for the game), and they'll probably release them as actual sets. Fingers crossed :classic: .

LuxorV

#22 The Who

The Who

• No more boogers

Member: 2808

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:02 PM

if you have the game and a bunch of spare parts, do what i do.

turn the game on, and just build by what you see.

it helps that you can rotate the plane on the game and see it from different angles.
"When informed of the waiting period on guns at walmart; it is not infact witty to reply asking where the chainsaws are. Police will be notified."

Like free third person shooters? Online? You should join me on Battlefield Heroes, make sure you use this link.
Battlefield Heroes Link

#23 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:14 AM

Yes, I had that idea, too. But I lack some parts :look:

I'll keep my fingers crossed waiting for next year sets :classic:

LuxorV

#24 The Who

The Who

• No more boogers

Member: 2808

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:24 PM

If you make an account on www.bricklink.com, then you can buy a bunch of parts from your country, usually for a low price.

That's another thing I do, or try to trade bricks with friends.

I still hope they make it a set.
"When informed of the waiting period on guns at walmart; it is not infact witty to reply asking where the chainsaws are. Police will be notified."

Like free third person shooters? Online? You should join me on Battlefield Heroes, make sure you use this link.
Battlefield Heroes Link

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users