Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

Im sure Pirate fans will enjoy it, have a good time man.

Rob struggled to get his footing a little in the opening scenes in London, they aren't bad, by any means, but you can tell he quickly got the hang of directing this sort of action as it goes on. I would have no problem with him returning to direct the 5th. The only thing you should be prepared for is it isn't as lighthearted as the others, the humors still there its just taking place against a more serious backround.

Can't wait to see it again.

I'm happy to hear your review, I'm going to see it tomorrow and I'm damn excited, even after reading some poor reviews.

Same here. I've read quite few bad reviews, but I'm still going to see it. Anyway, I think we should get back on topic - the LEGO! When does anyone think we will see images of the Black Pearl? I wonder if they'll do another Pet Shop on us, and only show us images when it's actually released (I certainly hope not!)?

When does anyone think we will see images of the Black Pearl? I wonder if they'll do another Pet Shop on us, and only show us images when it's actually released (I certainly hope not!)?

I don't think that this is the case since the BP isn't going to be an exclusive set (unlike the Pet Shop). A lot of online stores already have the BP listed and I'm sure one of them will leak the pictures once they get hold of them...

@Deckard: I'm glad someone else liked the movie as much as I did, I really can't see why the critics are so harsh on this one. Maybe they're biased because of AWE, but they should be able to judge a movie by itself (and I still don't think AWE was as bad as everyone said). Or maybe we're biased, who knows :pir_laugh2:

I saw the movie 8/10. Its better then AWE and on par with DMC. Darkest one yet, but great, loved the absence of Will and Elizabeth, didn't find Syrena and Phillip remotely annoying, their longest scene togeather without interuption is only about 45 seconds. The Spanish story is fine, Jack is in character the entire time, Blackbeard is an evil SOB. Sets didn't look fake, action was not half cooked, I could go on and on.

Really don't understand where those complaints are coming from at all. The movie doesn't deserve any of the comments its getting from the critics, they are flat out wrong about 90 percent of what they claim to be problems. I really believe half didn't see the movie and just wanted to jump on the trash train, and the other half watched a crap quality bootleg at home. Only way to explain it really.

Luckily real people who are seeing it all seem to agree that its awesome.

Um... you're crossing a bit into troll territory here. I am a real person, I did not watch a crap quality bootleg at home, I haven't actually read any reviews so I'm not just 'jumping on the trash train', the critics' opinions are not 'wrong' just because you hold a different opinion.

I am glad you enjoyed the film. I do not think your experience of the film is invalid because it differs from mine. Please extend the same courtesy to people who have a different opinion of the film from you.

Edited by David Thomsen

For any of you with Barnes and Noble gift cards; they have a coupon code that offers 30% off one toy item which includes Lego. They have POTC sets online with estimated shipping of 3-5 weeks if you want to give them another shot after they cancelled all the pre-orders. I just ordered QAR, so hopefully I'll get it at some point. Technically, 30% is better than 10% and only 2 months later than expected.

If you look back a few pages, it is clear that Barnes & Noble is not a reliable Lego retailer. They apparently do these big Lego promotion things saying you get XX% off, and then cancel the shipments. They must make money off of it somehow (S&H costs?), but it's happened more than once in the past.

I saw the movie 8/10. Its better then AWE and on par with DMC. Darkest one yet

I like the sound of that, hopefully it will live up to the standards set by the first three films.

Um... you're crossing a bit into troll territory here. I am a real person, I did not watch a crap quality bootleg at home, I haven't actually read any reviews so I'm not just 'jumping on the trash train', the critics' opinions are not 'wrong' just because you hold a different opinion.

I am glad you enjoyed the film. I do not think your experience of the film is invalid because it differs from mine. Please extend me the same courtesy.

Who are you and why do you think my review had anything to do with you. Don't call me a troll, your attacking me now. I could care less what you think anyway. I was referring to the critics, I didn't even read your post before posting mine, wake up and realise that review wasn't special for you only. I came on and posted a what I thought.

And if you don't know what I'm talking about there are reviews in-aptly titled "Fountain of Maggots" which claim the movie is a blind cash grab and outright lie about elements of the story.

Edited by Deckard

I have little time for "intellectual" critic reviews that seem to expect near impossible things, such as a freshness and novelty from a movie that could never be achieved by any sequel (by definition, only the first movie can be the truly novel one).

When really the movie should be reviewed on whether it delivered a rollicking adventure with characters we know and love. Plot holes and pacing flaws in a movie like this are inevitable, but it's hardly what the movie should stand on. Critics that see their job as putting down movies that don't aspire to be high art perhaps need to review their own performance.

In the case of the unreadable "maggots" reviewer (I walked out on his review just as he claimed to walk out of the movie), such an antisocial, bile-filled individual would clearly never enjoy a visit to Disneyland or other mass market entertainments that many of us mum & dads & kids enjoy.

I think POTC: OST delivered at least as much as the other POTC sequels, and I've been telling my friends it's worth seeing. It would be sad if people took notice of the critics and stayed away.

Without a decent box office return, future sequels wouldn't be considered, and the LEGO POTC line might end earlier than it should, just as Indy and Persia did.

Who are you and why do you think my review had anything to do with you. Don't call me a troll, your attacking me now. I could care less what you think anyway. I was referring to the critics, I didn't even read your post before posting mine, wake up and realise that review wasn't special for you only. I came on and posted a what I thought.

I apologise. I didn't mean for my post to be about myself, I was speaking as a member of the group you had maligned. I will edit my previous post for clarity.

...so I'm not sure if I should join in the discussion or not, since I've seen notices to stay "on topic", but unless it's really expected that we not bring conversation here until images of the Pearl show up (which could be a while), I'd like to give my two (shiny!) LEGO cents on the film:

I really enjoyed it! There were a ton of fun scenes...the trial, the escape from the King's court, the creepy lighthouse (I want that set now!)...it was a great pirate film, no doubt about it. I particularly enjoyed the mermaid scenes. I was skeptical of the idea of using mermaids, but I really bought them as an enticing but dangerous threat.

I'll admit that there were some flaws...it was painfully obvious that the QAR was a redressed Black Pearl, the music felt phoned in, the effects were a little off, and there were a few too many 3-D moments. On the whole, not quite as good as the other sequels, but still worthwhile. I have a feeling I'll be seeing this movie again a few times.

On topic, seeing the movie definitely makes me want the sets more...it's all I can do to be patient and not run out and buy them...

Also, I wish we'd get some word on when the small sets, the Pearl and Jack's boat, will be making their way to the states.

TC

You people need to give spoiler warnings before blurting out plot twists.

I second that! There are now spoilers all over the pirates-forum. In the reviews, in the MOCs and in the discussions... As much as I appreciate all the folks tryin' to save me money by telling me the story of the film I'd still like to go and watch it myself :pir-grin:

I dont think its too off topic to discuss the movie, its important to the sets afterall, but yes I agree about being careful about spoilers. My review was ok though right? If anyones bothered I'll take it down, just let me know.

Anyway great news!

Rebooted 'Pirates' sets overseas box office record

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/rebooted-pirates-sets-overseas-box-office-record-154209799.html

This bodes well for future lego sets and a possible 5th installment!

tumblr_lkj8vdD2eV1qbm32lo1_500.gif

Sorry, I thought I was careful to stick to what was already in the trailers, if that.

TC

The one thing I'm pissed at the Lego set the fountain of youth, is that is nothing like the one in the movie! I have the lego POTC Game, and played the fourth story line as soon as I got the chance, when I got to the level I figured it was wrong since it's nothing like mine, but when I saw the movie I noticed how the movie and the game were correct but not my set, I wish at least in some form that it was like said item. Granted it's an awesome set but you know...

This weekend I went to the my local Toysrus to purchase QAR and planned to use my rewards membership to get like a 20% discount, when I went to the register they already had a 20% promotion on all POTC sets, needless to say Fountain of youth, isla de muerta and the captain's cabin were sold out, guess I'll use my coupon for the Village mill raid hehehe.

I saw the movie on Friday, I went to my local cinema which was the only place where they weren't showing it in 3D ( I really can't stand 3D) I was the only person in the cinema which was fantastic.

The reviews have been overly harsh in my opinion, The film like the other POTC films are just plain fun. Grab some popcorn, a coke and sit back and enjoy yourself.

Oh yes, there is a scene at the end of the credits if you feel like sticking around.

Since there's a lot of talk about the movie here, I'll share my oppinion with you. I must agree with what Deckard said about the score. Really couldn't give it more than 8/10, but still it's a good mark. Though all the previous 3 movies deserve a 9 if not 10. I don't usualy read reviews of movies - especially not before I see one, so I can create my own pisture about it - so I can't say I read anything bad about it. But to the movies ...

I really saw no lack of Will and Elizabeth. Can't say their acting was bad or anything, but since their story came to an end in the previous trilogy, there was no need in pushing them inside. The actors are really cool and Jack and Barbossa do the majority of hte job in this movie. Blackbeard is also well done and fits in the story well! On the other hand I must agree with David that the part with Syrene and Philip is pretty annoying, but luckly there's not too much of it!

All in all the movie is great, it has a great story and most important did not loose the pirate feel! For my taste it was just a little bit less action oriented, since there is no ships gun fights and no major battles. Some more thoughts in spoilers:

I didn't like the religious view of the Spain guys. I belive they had their orders, but who on Earth could resist the drink from the fountain when he had everything there and a bigger army? Could complicate things a bit more and make the plot even more interesting.

And for the end, the really best part is (a counter weight to the Syrene and Philip part) that there is no kiss in the end! Really makes captain Jack Sparrow even a stronger character, since that's exactly what noone would expect him to do, but exactly what a real Jack Sparrow would do!

Edited by MstrOfPppts

I dont think its too off topic to discuss the movie, its important to the sets afterall, but yes I agree about being careful about spoilers. My review was ok though right? If anyones bothered I'll take it down, just let me know.

I saw the movie on Friday, I went to my local cinema which was the only place where they weren't showing it in 3D ( I really can't stand 3D) I was the only person in the cinema which was fantastic.

Since there's a lot of talk about the movie here, I'll share my oppinion with you.

Please, no more. We have a forum for discussion about movies; take it there please. Also, show some common sense (this isn't directed at anyone in particular) and don't ruin the movie for others...

Please, no more. We have a forum for discussion about movies; take it there please. Also, show some common sense (this isn't directed at anyone in particular) and don't ruin the movie for others...

Expression of disappointment edited out. Sooooo...when will we know about the mini sets appearing in the US, do you think? Have there been recent examples of UK mini sets that didn't eventually appear in the states?

TC

Edited by TalonCard

Expression of disappointment edited out. Sooooo...when will we know about the mini sets appearing in the US, do you think? Have there been recent examples of UK mini sets that didn't eventually appear in the states?

TC

And...any news on whether or not "wooden Jack" will be available in Canada? (which would be nice, considering how badly 'overlooked' we get on polybag sets)

And...any news on whether or not "wooden Jack" will be available in Canada? (which would be nice, considering how badly 'overlooked' we get on polybag sets)

This Canadian received the "wooden Jack" as a free gift when I preordered the video game, but it's a little late to do that now.

Couple of things...

First about the misprinted redcoat hats I got in the London Escape set. I contacted Lego replacement service via email. They responded saying they needed the number that starts with '4', which I gave them. (By the way that number is in tiny print near the legalese and copyright on the back cover.) And then I got this response:

We are more than happy to send a new replacement absolutely free! Your new part is on its way from our warehouse in Denmark and should arrive in 7 to 10 business days.

I just wanted to point out that the hats are coming from Denmark. I'm on the west coast of the United States, and I've had missing parts come from within the U.S. before (I think Connecticut if I'm not mistaken). So maybe those hats are manufactured in Denmark.

The other thing, is that I went to my local TRU and asked if they had any left over wooden Jack Sparrows (the video game preorder bonus). They told me that they only got five of the things in. They said other people had been through asking about them. I asked if they knew if that fig would be sold separately at some point. They said they didn't know. But they said they think that there is a keychain of that fig coming out. I'm not sure how true that is; these were just some dudes at the video game counter.

The other thing, is that I went to my local TRU and asked if they had any left over wooden Jack Sparrows (the video game preorder bonus). They told me that they only got five of the things in. They said other people had been through asking about them.

Same here... :pir_bawling: The TRU in Kennesaw, GA, did not have any leftover wooden Jacks as of this weekend.

Wooden Jack is a pretty neat little fig. POTC was a great addition to the pirates in IMO. Pirates was great before but with some of these new pieces and figs, I can sense some amazing MOCs coming.

I was talking to a cashier at a Myers store in Sydney and they told me that the Black Pearl was coming out in stores next week!

Don't now how accurate this is judging that it is supposed to come out November but she definetely seemed to know what she was talking about...

Can't wait to find out!

General Jones

Edited by General Jones

I was talking to a cashier at a Myers store in Sydney and they told me that the Black Pearl was coming out in stores next week!

Don't now how accurate this is judging that it is supposed to come out November but she definetely seemed to know what she was talking about...

Can't wait to find out!

General Jones

I bought QAR from Myer last weekend, I hope this is true, that would be EPIC!!!

I was going to pracastinate on this issue and say something along the lines of, "wouldn't our Euro/US comrades know first about new releases" (because Australia gets everything at a ridiculously slow rate for some reason...).

But if this were true it's likely LEGO sent out everything in one hit (including the Pearl) but told stores worldwide to keep particular sets off-sale until a certain release date.

I hope it's the latter. If so could you keep us updated as the whether they will hit shelves by next week. If they don't arrive I'd give a stern talking to that Myer salesperson.

I will remain sceptical however, I too would have thought LEGO would have monopolised on this wave as long as possible and then released more at Christmas time. FINGERS CROSSED