Tim Bit

Canadian Eh?

def, you can check out toysnbricks.com to see what deals may be happening during your time here. If you're in Toronto, feel free to drop by the August ToroLUG meeting.

Depending on where you live, you could always go for a trip to the northern US during the summer, buy tons of Lego sets there, and then come back. Customs would be a little confused, but overall nbd.

That's what I plan to do when I visit NYC in August; we're catching the train from Buffalo, so there'll be some time for shopping there. Plus I'll probably get to check out the Lego Store in NYC.

I got to Washington State very often. But the problem is, I don't have unlimited amounts of CASH.

If you're in Toronto, feel free to drop by the August ToroLUG meeting.

My base of operations is actually going to be Oshawa, but I may just show up at that meeting :thumbup:

Fairview updated their PAB wall the other day and have some new stuff in back, too.

1x4 pink bricks, 2x2 round bricks in trans light blue and trans light (lime?) green...red 'gem stone' pieces are in the BAM bar, too.

They also seem to have all the new SW sets in, as well. I have to say, that Jabba's Palace set looks even better in person, than it did in pics. I think I'll have to see about snagging that one!

I got to Washington State very often. But the problem is, I don't have unlimited amounts of CASH.

Credit card, perhaps?

Fairview updated their PAB wall the other day and have some new stuff in back, too.

1x4 pink bricks, 2x2 round bricks in trans light blue and trans light (lime?) green...red 'gem stone' pieces are in the BAM bar, too.

They also seem to have all the new SW sets in, as well. I have to say, that Jabba's Palace set looks even better in person, than it did in pics. I think I'll have to see about snagging that one!

I have to drop by there next time I go to Toronto (which should be next week). Gonna try to pick up a few Avengers and Star Wars sets they don't sell around my area.

Credit card, perhaps?

Don't have one and don't want to be in lots of debt. Instead of CASH, lets say money in general. ;-)

Edited by Legobrandon

Thanks for the update, sounds like I have to bring my cups on Tuesday then. :’)

Thanks for the news about the SW sets. This is gonna be torture, since I need to save money, but these sets are so damn tempting!

Man, how do they decide who gets what polybags? It's gotta be one of the most frustrating aspects of this silly little hobby.

I was in TRU today and just about plotzed because I saw a tonne of an LOTR polybag at the checkout, and pfft! It was the Frodo in a Kitchen set. Not that that's a terrible set, but of all the possible polybags out there, it's literally the least interesting. Not a figure that you'd want in multiples, that came in a must-own set already, and a few other pieces that are not awful but hardly inspiring or interesting.

I was hoping it'd been the Uruk-Hai, which I would have grabbed at least two of. They also have a whole bundle of Friends polybags, the blonde girl with the mailbos and the brunette with the ice cream and the black-haired girl with the car, which according to the front page are "rare" but, again, hardly something I'd want to seek out for it's own sake.

My point is, who decides which one goes where? And why does it seem that when Canada finally sees one or has unique access to one that is apparently rare everywhere else, it's almost invariably the one no one wants?

I'm bummed is all. Bummed I'm likely to not get my Ghost with Grandfather clock, but will be endlessly taunted by Frodo for the coming months.

I have yet to see any recent licensed polybags in my Toys R Us :sceptic:

The 'best' was some of the Ninjago ones..

Yeah, I've never seen licensed polybags at my closest TRU. Now, I can't exactly answer the "Who decides?" question, but I don't think the Frodo's Kitchen polybag is that bad. In fact, I'll be buying multiples when I get the chance! You get a great and expressionate head, a pretty useful torso, a cool hairpiece (hobbit hair is crazy detailed! I love the hobbit hairpieces I own, and I want more!), and short legs, among a few fairly good pieces. Count yourself lucky that you have access to the polybag!

Yeah, I've never seen licensed polybags at my closest TRU. Now, I can't exactly answer the "Who decides?" question, but I don't think the Frodo's Kitchen polybag is that bad. In fact, I'll be buying multiples when I get the chance! You get a great and expressionate head, a pretty useful torso, a cool hairpiece (hobbit hair is crazy detailed! I love the hobbit hairpieces I own, and I want more!), and short legs, among a few fairly good pieces. Count yourself lucky that you have access to the polybag!

I think I reacted so negatively because it wasn't one of the other ones I was far more hoping to see.

Maybe I should go grab a bunch and start a cottage industry. There was literally a pants-load of them there.

PLENTY of Frodo's at TRU today and surprisingly they restocked the Friends polys. Weird that they didn't put them in the Friends aisle.

Thanks for the news about the SW sets. This is gonna be torture, since I need to save money, but these sets are so damn tempting!

I picked up the new Desert Skiff set (total price after VIP and taxes...$1.12!) and I have to say, it BLOWS AWAY the old model, BIG TIME!

Seriously loving it and IMO, it's a great value for the price. Also has a few cool pieces for any Steampunkers out there. :thumbup:

BTW...anybody in Toronto know if the TRU at Cedarbrae, or the one at VP & Lawrence is stocked with any of the polybags? I'd phone but, half the time the staff has no friggin' clue and I don't feel like spending 45 mins on the phone with them.

Edited by Ogre

I'm visiting family in Toronto this weekend, so I'll probably drop by the Fairview Lego Store to pick up a Desert Skiff if they have any. Doubt that they're stocked yet at the Walmart here in London.

*Small toy shop rant*

I don't know how small toy shops are where you live, but here in Montreal they all ******* suck. They almost never have a good Lego selection, it's always the recent sets (so NO HOPE ever of finding an old, rarer gem), and the prices are always high. No wonder TRU can get away with their prices.

I saw one on Monday selling Helm's Deep for $190. That's $10 more than toysrus.ca, and $20 more than S@H canada. When I told the shopkeeper I got mine for $80 her eyes almost got out of the sockets.

The more I'm knowledgeable about Lego prices in general, the more I'm letdown by mom&pop stores...

As much as TRU has a bad rap, they're the only toy store worth buying from in person in Montreal, if only when they have a 20% sale off a whole Lego line like City or Technic (which makes it really a %10 sale when taking the TRU tax into account)

Other than that, Walmart is OK, I guess, when they have what I want. But they're a huge corporation. I'd love to give my support to smaller mom&pop stores to keep them in business, but darn it, either lower your prices, or offer something larger chain stores don't! (ie older, rarer sets, or misc. parts pack like motors/lights/battery boxes/baseplates).

Can't wait to move to Quebec City. There's a toy store there called Benjo, and it rocks. They have all the TRU stuff, and they sell model trains and RC stuff for adults too.

*** rant over ***

Edited by SheepEater

*Small toy shop rant*

I agree that some smaller shops do charge a premium on LEGO - unfortunately that's more about cost of doing business than them trying to gouge us. Unlike Toys R Us who is able to negotiate more favourable prices with their massive orders (I assume), small shops I would think HAVE to price theirs higher to make ends meet, where as Toys R Us - they price theirs higher because they can.

And I think it all depends on where you go, I've been lucky enough to find a 9v Harry Potter train once at one of these places for about $20 over MSRP - about 2 years after they disappeared ... I was pretty happy.

Ultimately you can shop where you want. Don't like it - don't shop there - there are plenty of free shipping days @ S@Home - so there isn't really much of excuse... unless you're willing to pay for instant gratification.

I saw one on Monday selling Helm's Deep for $190. That's $10 more than toysrus.ca, and $20 more than S@H canada. When I told the shopkeeper I got mine for $80 her eyes almost got out of the sockets.

I think a far more interesting and important point is: WHERE DID YOU GET IT FOR $80 ? And why are you not sharing with the rest of us?!?!?!

:laugh:

I think a far more interesting and important point is: WHERE DID YOU GET IT FOR $80 ? And why are you not sharing with the rest of us?!?!?!

:laugh:

:rofl: I don't know for sure if this is how SheepEater got his copy, but I do seem to remember a temporary price mixup on the TRU online store. Helm's Deep was listed for $80 and the people who bought it then did get their orders delivered. :wink:

Does anyone living in Toronto know if they're still selling Anakin's Jedi Interceptor at Fairview or any other store? I'm visiting family there on Saturday, and might stop by to pick it up if it's still available.

:rofl: I don't know for sure if this is how SheepEater got his copy, but I do seem to remember a temporary price mixup on the TRU online store. Helm's Deep was listed for $80 and the people who bought it then did get their orders delivered. :wink:

Yeah, correct, early june. The mixup lasted about 2 days. I actually found out about it from an EB member on the LOTR topic in the "Historical" (*chuckle, that forum title is so lame*) forum. If you dig around to around page 300 you should find it (the topic is almost 400 pages now).

But that's not the whole story - most people didn't end up getting the $79.99 deal. TRU canceled the order of everybody by email (by claiming some bogus issue that the credit card info was invalid) and gave them a $45 rebate to smoothen the deal. What they did was actually illegal, so that didn't sit too well with me- I'm as vicious as an enraged pitbull when I notice people are trying to rip me off. I called them.

"Sir, we canceled your order because there was an error with the pricing."

"So there WAS no credit card problem after all! Can't say I'm surprised. Pricing error huh? How is that my concern? That's irrelevant to me. I placed an order, you have to honor the price."

I told the sales rep that cancelling my order was illegal - they had to honor it by law, and I demanded to talk to the manager. At first he tried to get me to accept a $45 rebate, I said..

"No deal, I want 9474 Helm's Deep for $79.99 or I'm filing a complaint via the office of consumer protection. I expected such a move from you guys minutes after I placed the order, so I took a few precautionary steps and already called the Office and got all the info I needed from them in case such a thing would happen and it did, and I have all the required proof of my initial order. So you WILL sell it to me for $79.99."

He did.

If he had refused, the actual steps required by the Office of consumer protection to be able to file a complaint would have been to buy it at the price they asked, THEN file a complaint to ask for the difference, using all the information of the original order as proof. (ie: confirmation emails from toysrus)

Edited by SheepEater

Yeah, correct, early june. The mixup lasted about 2 days. I actually found out about it from an EB member on the LOTR topic in the "Historical" (*chuckle, that forum title is so lame*) forum. If you dig around to around page 300 you should find it (the topic is almost 400 pages now).

But that's not the whole story - most people didn't end up getting the $79.99 deal. TRU canceled the order of everybody by email (by claiming some bogus issue that the credit card info was invalid) and gave them a $45 rebate to smoothen the deal. What they did was actually illegal, so that didn't sit too well with me- I'm as vicious as an enraged pitbull when I notice people are trying to rip me off. I called them.

Historical refers to the time period for most items in the forum. Even though LOTR is fictional - it's elements are similar to some historical (castle) themes. :grin:

Hmmm interesting story - congrats on the great score! ....

But are you sure it's illegal? Usually in the terms and conditions it's stipulated that the online retailer can cancel the order at any time for any reason... (unless they've charged your card of course...). So I was a bit surprised when I read your post. Even in physical stores it's a voluntary agreement by the retailer to abide by the Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code...

I just don't want people here to get wrong information...

The fact that they were even offering a $45 rebate is surprisingly nice, I've had multiple times where I tried to 'sneak by' an obvious price error only to have it refused. I guess when you charge a LEGO premium you can afford to be nice at times :wink:

Historical refers to the time period for most items in the forum. Even though LOTR is fictional - it's elements are similar to some historical (castle) themes. :grin:

I agree about LOTR being very similar to Castle. But let's face it, 99% of the posts there are currently about Castle or LOTR. And Castle itself has had fantasy (ie non historical) elements since the early 90s. IMHO, the forum should be called "Castle and Historical" to not alienate fans of Western, Samurai and ancient greece/rome and such.

But are you sure it's illegal? Usually in the terms and conditions it's stipulated that the online retailer can cancel the order at any time for any reason... (unless they've charged your card of course...). So I was a bit surprised when I read your post. Even in physical stores it's a voluntary agreement by the retailer to abide by the Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code...

In Quebec province, it's most certainly illegal. I confirmed it when I called Office de Protection du Consommateur right after I placed the order. Even just today, at the grocery store there was a pricing error with a large onion I bought. I LOVE it when I discover pricing errors - I developped a photographic memory for it so I notice any errors as the cashier scans every item. They had to reimburse me the FULL price instead of just the difference. Free onion! Quebec customer claws don't screw around! But if you're sure that I am mistaken about some detail I might have misunderstood, feel free to correct me.

As for credit card charging, they did, and I could prove it. I called my credit card company to confirm they charged me, and took a screenshot of my credit card account, mere minutes after I placed the pre-order. Yes, it was a pre-order. Someone alerted me TRU might cancel it so I took all precautions.

Edited by SheepEater

Ah... I forgot about Quebec laws - which can be quite different than other provinces.

Though I absolutely agree - once they charged your card - then they've accepted the contract to provide you with goods you requested...

Speaking of Toys R Us - this weekend there's 20% off existing clearance priced items. Some Car and PQ sets. As well as the build a Buzz and AC mothership. Pretty good prices if you're interested in these sets.

Again, I'm not entirely sure Quebec consumer laws are not the same as the rest of Canada. But the "Office de protection du consommateur" I keep referring to, appears to be a Quebec site.

http://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/

Site on "Loi sur la protection du consommateur"

http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=2&file=/P_40_1/P40_1.html

I found no equivalent sites for Canada itself or the other provinces for those. :def_shrug:

As for TRU sales, thanks for the heads up but I'm only interested in their sales for LOTR (for the 9471 - I'd like a 2nd one), City (for the 4207 city garage) and Technic (for the newest helicopter and 4x4 crawler), and those won't get discounted for quite a while.

Does anyone living in Toronto know if they're still selling Anakin's Jedi Interceptor at Fairview or any other store? I'm visiting family there on Saturday, and might stop by to pick it up if it's still available.

Not in stock at LBR Fairview, sorry.