hjmediastudios

Space Marines!

I've just completed the first set idea for my Space Marines Cuusoo project. Called "Space Marines Battle Squad," I envision it as somewhat analagous to the Star Wars battle packs, although with a single, substantial vehicle instead of a little turd of a vehicle and/or little boxes with guns stuck on. It has 168 pieces, including the Space Marines, and includes a single Gunnery Sergeant and three ordinary Space Marines. The vehicle is a chunky and very stable four-wheeler, with three seats and a moving turret complete with flick missiles. (Where would we be without them?)

6647789995_c1ba43a3e9.jpg

In an effort to prove that it's not just smoke and mirrors, that there's some actual building skill involved, I created complete set instructions for the vehicle depicted in the above image. Click on the picture below to find out exactly how to build your own Space Marines battle buggy.

6644768473_9e6b36f4a3.jpg

For all you technically-oriented folks out there, here's a runthrough of the creation process.

1. The model was prototyped by hand, using my own stash of bricks.
  2. I made the model in MLCad, using LDraw parts. I added some bricks that I didn't have in real life to make the shape a little bit better.
  3. The model was exported to two different versions:
    • A submodel-heavy version with arrows and helper parts, for use in creating the instructions.
    • A streamlined, single-file model for later export to Blender.

The fancy-pants model was then used to create an LPub instructions file, using a Blender-rendered background I had created earlier.<li>The simple model was imported in LeoCad, exported to .3ds format, then imported into Blender.<li>I did a huge amount of optimization on the model, cutting the model from several million polys to a few thousand.<li>Final textures and materials were applied, and Space Marines were added into the scene.<li>The final scene was rendered in Blender's Cycles renderer, with about 3000 samples. The whole render took about two and a half minutes.<li>The image was post-processed in the GIMP, with muzzle flares and laser blasts, as well as color correction and lens flare, being added prodigiously.<li>The complete image, along with a Space Marines logo and Lego logo, was added onto the cover of the instructions in Inkscape. Whew! That was complicated. That's all for now. Don't forget, you can always download the Space Marines for free on Blendswap, and don't forget to support the Space Marines Cuusoo project to make these little dudes real!

Edited by hjmediastudios

This is so awsome :thumbup:

I ust can't wait to see what the finished Hopper is going to be like, excellent design from what i can see.

Hopper

Actually, the hopper design is Peter L. Morris's LAU-PAC with a Space Marines theme. He was kind enough to let me use his concepts. :D

These guys are very impressive. I'd pay top dollar for a real LEGO helmet like that.

Very Cool.

You'll get your wish. The Series 7 Galaxy Patrol collectible minifigure has a similar helmet. And it'll only cost you $2.99 plus untold hours of feeling the packets! :laugh:

You'll get your wish. The Series 7 Galaxy Patrol collectible minifigure has a similar helmet. And it'll only cost you $2.99 plus untold hours of feeling the packets! :laugh:

Sweet!!!

Have no fear, I buy sealed boxes :classic: I should get at least 3.

Oh, man, I SO wanna play around with these in Blender...but the link isn't working. Any chance of a direct link to the file download?

Wow.

You hav stunned me in every way imaginable. This is just awesome. It is amzig what can be done with just 3D software.

Guys, if you want sets like these, support Space Marines on CUUSOO!

I love these little guys, from their really cool armor, to their frowny faces.

The ship is also cool.

I really hope lego decides to make these by getting inspiration or maybe getting passed on CUUSSO.

Anyways very cool. :wub:

Blue Brick

I dig it lots, I've added my support.

I think this theme necessitates a badass dropship with a cool chick pilot. "In the pipe, 5-by-5. Get ready, we're in for some chops..."

I dig it lots, I've added my support.

I think this theme necessitates a badass dropship with a cool chick pilot. "In the pipe, 5-by-5. Get ready, we're in for some chops..."

Agreed.

TLG hasn't made a (non-license) badass dropship since the Rock Raiders Tunnel Transport. Perhaps Avatar-style? :excited:

Edited by LEGOman273

Fantastic armour suits! :blush:

I can only take credit for the 3d model, not the design- they're supposed to be the same as the Series 7 Galaxy Patrol minifigure to save on molding costs, but at the time all I had to work from was a blurry low-res image. I'm currently working them over to better reflect the actual Series 7 minifigure armor mold.

HJ Media,

I'm sorry I haven't posted a reply here yet, but I really like this idea, being somewhat of a Star Craft and WH 40K fan. I did add my support to this project on CUUSOO about two or three weeks ago, and I'm really hoping it makes it to 10,000 votes!

I'll definitely get at least one of those dropships for sure. :thumbup:

Glad to hear it! Just wait, though- I'm working on some great set concepts that I think are a great fit for the AFOL community.

Supporting this might actually get me to register on cuusoo. A theme like this would be a great fit for a missing lego space theme (Star What?...:P).

But didn't anyone tell them... the guy in the red suit always dies first!

I just made them red because of the following reasons:

• Green seems too modern-military. Same with tan, and I didn't want to run afoul of Lego's "no modern military" policy.
  • Gray seemed too drab and not "action-packed" enough.
  • White would seem too much like the existing Lego City Space theme.
  • Blue is out because Alien Conquest had blue space-suited minifigs, and yellow is definitely out because then the Marines would look naked.
  • Red was as good as anything else.