Thego

VIP Exclusive 850458 LEGO® Minifigures set

They're actually 2.49 EUR, at least here in Germany. :tongue:

Same here in Holland, Series 4 was 1.99 Euro in most places, rest all 2.49. Not that it's comparable, different taxes, competitors, distribution costs, etc.

It's not often that I'm disappointed with Lego's ideas, but this one is really a kick in the pants :\ Honestly, Lego is going to come out and say that the 5 most popular Mini's from series 1 to 3 are the Mummy and the Fisherman? How is the Zombie not on this list? Or the Clown for that matter.

It should have been (at least in my thoughts)

Zombie

Elf

Cyborg

Spartan

Clown

The selection on this one is terrible Lego... boo!

It's not often that I'm disappointed with Lego's ideas, but this one is really a kick in the pants :\ Honestly, Lego is going to come out and say that the 5 most popular Mini's from series 1 to 3 are the Mummy and the Fisherman? How is the Zombie not on this list? Or the Clown for that matter.

I'll merge this with the VIP Minifigure Set thread. Stand by....

It should have been (at least in my thoughts)

Zombie

Elf

Cyborg

Spartan

Clown

The selection on this one is terrible Lego... boo!

There was a clause in the original voting that essentially said that if certain parts weren't available, alternate ones would be substituted, and if no suitable substitutes were available, then the minifigures would be substituted for runners-up. The most likely scenario is that at the time the voting was set up, it was expected that a lot of Series 1 and Series 2 parts would be available, but that when it came time to actually put this set into production, the Series 1 and 2 parts (or in the very least, those in the most popular figs from the voting) were not available.

It's quite believable that the Series 3 figs chosen could have been the most popular figs once popular Series 1 and 2 figs had been eliminated. After all, Series 3 was the newest of the three series and so had the most hype around it at the time of voting. In contrast, I imagine that the votes for Series 1 and 2 figs were concentrated on certain extremely popular figs like the Zombie and Spartan. This would explain why, for example, the Surfer from Series 2 was still able to be produced for the recent minifigure pack, but did not become a part of this VIP set. Unlike others from his series like the Spartan, he simply didn't have the same kind of support as the Series 3 favorites and runners-up.

Overall the entire situation strikes me as a huge logistical failure. The intention to produce a VIP set from the most popular figs of Series 1, 2, and 3 is admirable, and the decision to use Series 3 runners-up when the original intention proved impossible is understandable in the very least, considering the alternative would probably have been not to release a VIP set like this at all. But I figure that there simply must have been a failure of communication between departments, or else TLG should have been able to anticipate the problems that would arise and the utter disappointment that would result from this underwhelming final selection.

Oops, didn't see this thread or I wouldn't have started a new one (and I even searched too!).

Still, and I can logistics, but wow lack of Zombies and Spartans make for one sad llama :\

There was a clause in the original voting that essentially said that if certain parts weren't available, alternate ones would be substituted, and if no suitable substitutes were available, then the minifigures would be substituted for runners-up. The most likely scenario is that at the time the voting was set up, it was expected that a lot of Series 1 and Series 2 parts would be available, but that when it came time to actually put this set into production, the Series 1 and 2 parts (or in the very least, those in the most popular figs from the voting) were not available.

It's quite believable that the Series 3 figs chosen could have been the most popular figs once popular Series 1 and 2 figs had been eliminated. After all, Series 3 was the newest of the three series and so had the most hype around it at the time of voting. In contrast, I imagine that the votes for Series 1 and 2 figs were concentrated on certain extremely popular figs like the Zombie and Spartan. This would explain why, for example, the Surfer from Series 2 was still able to be produced for the recent minifigure pack, but did not become a part of this VIP set. Unlike others from his series like the Spartan, he simply didn't have the same kind of support as the Series 3 favorites and runners-up.

Indeed. Moreover, in addition to all that, it should be reiterated that we don't really know how the votes broke down, and TLG may not even have had to choose many (or even any!) alternatives - these could actually have been popular vote-getters. Remember, we aren't LEGO's core customers - kids are, and kids would likely choose very different figures from AFOLs.

Indeed. Moreover, in addition to all that, it should be reiterated that we don't really know how the votes broke down, and TLG may not even have had to choose many (or even any!) alternatives - these could actually have been popular vote-getters. Remember, we aren't LEGO's core customers - kids are, and kids would likely choose very different figures from AFOLs.

Although, this was sent to VIPs only. I think there's a very good chance the majority of VIPs are AFOLs. It's hard to say what dissent would be fiercer. This or a no set, no explanation why. Honestly.

Although, this was sent to VIPs only. I think there's a very good chance the majority of VIPs are AFOLs. It's hard to say what dissent would be fiercer. This or a no set, no explanation why. Honestly.

Keep in mind that LEGO tries to get EVERY...SINGLE...CUSTOMER (over age 13) to become a 'VIP', so...

I've seen series 4 minifigures appear again in the Entertainer toy shops recently here in the UK.

I found this pretty annoying because i bought the VIP set as i hadn't started seriously collecting the minifigures until series 5 and back then I didn't think I would be able to get a hold of those particular minifgures so easily.

I've seen series 4 minifigures appear again in the Entertainer toy shops recently here in the UK.

I found this pretty annoying because i bought the VIP set as i hadn't started seriously collecting the minifigures until series 5 and back then I didn't think I would be able to get a hold of those particular minifgures so easily.

Then you shouldn't worry too much, as the VIP set is made up of Series 3 figures.

Then you shouldn't worry too much, as the VIP set is made up of Series 3 figures.

oops, i meant to say series 3 are appearing again although i have seen series 4 there as well. i always get mixed up, i only remember the colours.