Devorath

CCBS Discussion and Reference

I think we all hope to get gunmetal hands someday. :tongue:

But indeed, dark bley makes more sense, and is easier to use in MOCs, IMO.

Now THAT is a wonderful technique. I'll have to get in touch with any who want to give/sell the hands when they part it out. (I'm sure there will be many who say 'ew Bionicle' and toss it in the trash.)

Edited by TheDesuComplex

It's always cool when the big exclusives use constraction parts. The Ultimate Collector's Series B-Wing Starfighter also used CCBS fist pieces as detailing near its engines.

That feel when a new CCBS recolour is introduced.. in a System set.

Anyway, very very good! Sometimes silver hands just don't cut it, and no colour is more neutral than a bley shade. Now we just need Titanium Metallic and gold!

Ackar's hands say hi. Not the same, but close enough.

Yes, Ackar's hands! They worked handsomely because more then anything they looked like gloves or gauntlets compared to the rest of him. (Ackar was, imo, the best 'Inika' build we ever got and it's a shame he was made when the brittle joints were an issue.)

May I also mention real quick that I would like to see more shells with detail, like how we have some of the different torso shells available with different details.

Dayum ! I noticed today that all of my Bionicle G2 sets have this part in dark bley. So I checked Bricklink, and it was already the case last year, the 5M B type bone hasn't been produced in black since 2013. Which explains why I have so few left, almost all of my stock is already used in MOCs. I hope it will come back soon.

Yeah. It's really annoying that we're only getting it in gray or in specialized colors. And they're not even being consistent about the colors, what with the lower limb bones being black. I hope that we get it in black again either with the Summer villains or in 2016. At any rate, I'm going to have to order some from Bricklink.

Also, looking back at the beginning of the topic, we seem to have predicted Invasion from Below to the letter.

Yeah. It's really annoying that we're only getting it in gray or in specialized colors. And they're not even being consistent about the colors, what with the lower limb bones being black. I hope that we get it in black again either with the Summer villains or in 2016. At any rate, I'm going to have to order some from Bricklink.

Also, looking back at the beginning of the topic, we seem to have predicted Invasion from Below to the letter.

Actually, since 2013 they've followed a very consistent pattern. For every black "B" beam, the corresponding "A" beam and the next size up and down only come in Dark Stone Grey, and vice-versa. Presumably, it's to make it easier to tell the beams apart. It's hard to confuse a 5M "A" beam with a 6M "B" beam or a 3M or 7M "A" beam even if they're the same color. But it's easy to confuse a 5M "A" beam with a 5M "B" beam or a 4M or 6M "A" beam of the smae color, so it is a different color from all of those beams.

In the current BIONICLE sets, the only beams that are te same color as the similarly styled beams one size up or down from them are the Tr. Light Blue 3M, 4M, and 5M "A" beams. I agree that sometimes it can result in slightly unusual color blocking, but I certainly understand how it can be helpful, especially having seen photos and reviews of sets that managed to get beams of the same color and different sizes mixed up.

I can't really see how one could confuse the two. You have to look at the parts while you're building anyway, which means that, if you're actually paying a normal amount of attention (i.e. any), you'll definitely see the shape of the ball joint.

I can't really see how one could confuse the two. You have to look at the parts while you're building anyway, which means that, if you're actually paying a normal amount of attention (i.e. any), you'll definitely see the shape of the ball joint.

Assuming that everybody else has the same building level as you is a serious mistake. Younger or less experienced builders make mistakes all the time that many AFOLs would consider "amateur". Sometimes the mistake is in identifying the pieces in front of you, sometimes it's in identifying the pieces in the instructions (the readability of instructions is a factor that most people don't even consider about set design), and sometimes it's both. Even if the builder eventually catches their own mistake it can be incredibly frustrating, especially if they're just a beginner.

Me, even I make mistakes. While building a larger Technic set last year, I ended up putting some pins in the wrong place or putting a clutch gear in backwards or something like that, requiring my brother and I to flip through pages and pages of instructions and undo all of those steps when we finally got to a point where that mistake kept us from proceeding further. Constraction building usually doesn't penalize as severely as advanced Technic building, which often needs incredible accuracy for everything to work properly, but that feeling of frustration is still there for people who make building mistakes without realizing it.

Edited by Aanchir

I'd like more colours for the bones like Tan, Metru colours, straight up Purple why not?

I think the armour shells could do with having Plus Rod Holes and Regular Holes too it'd open up a lot more options for how to customise the shells.

I'd like more colours for the bones like Tan, Metru colours, straight up Purple why not?

I think the armour shells could do with having Plus Rod Holes and Regular Holes too it'd open up a lot more options for how to customise the shells.

The issue I have with this is that the depth of the hole will end up being half a module, which would be hard to work with. Not terribly infuriating, but still pretty suck.

On bone colors, while it's understandable why they do it, I would like to see more sets with bone colors coordinated with the armor. On my sets I like to use the dark bley bones with lighter colors (like Dark Orange and Bright Green) versus using black with richer colors (like Red and Gold). Perhaps seeing bones of the same color as the armor to make them appear like slimmer (but still armored) sections would be an interesting choice.

If I can't buy a normal larger front torso shell, but can only find the smaller back shell, what pieces can I add to the smaller shell to build up the chest if used as a front torso? It has the two vertical holes that shoulder shells connect to.

What can I use for a head? 47326 is discontinued and I can't find any Bionicle head pieces either.

You should be more precise, without a context it's difficult to understand what you mean. First of all, what do you want to build, and could you give the parts numbers, or pictures of the parts you're talking about ?

On  another note, there will be some recoloured CCBS parts in the Ninjago Movie sets :

70612 : Four sand green Protector's feet

dragon10.png

70617 : Two dark bley Star Wars shoulder pad add-ons

fudog10.png

4 hours ago, Leewan said:

You should be more precise, without a context it's difficult to understand what you mean. First of all, what do you want to build, and could you give the parts numbers, or pictures of the parts you're talking about ?

On  another note, there will be some recoloured CCBS parts in the Ninjago Movie sets :

70612 : Four sand green Protector's feet

70617 : Two dark bley Star Wars shoulder pad add-ons

From some of the other pictures those shoulder pads look like they might just be silver.

2 hours ago, Leewan said:

I had some doubts, but if they can appear to be silver on the rear of the box, (the part Jay is tickling, especially), on the front of the box and this picture they clearly look grey.

I dunno, I think the latter of the two pictures you shared also looks a little like Silver Metallic (in that it seems a little lighter than Dark Stone Grey and darker than Medium Stone Grey).

I suppose we'll see. As cool as a recolor would be, I'm far from certain that that's what we're seeing here.

On 17/06/2017 at 6:48 PM, Lyichir said:

I dunno, I think the latter of the two pictures you shared also looks a little like Silver Metallic (in that it seems a little lighter than Dark Stone Grey and darker than Medium Stone Grey).

I suppose we'll see. As cool as a recolor would be, I'm far from certain that that's what we're seeing here.

Well... I was wrong. :blush: 

On 7/14/2017 at 1:12 AM, Leewan said:

Well... I was wrong. :blush: 

Unfortunately, yeah. That said, I just discovered that, surprisingly, that piece has been recolored in dark red!

I'm just trying to make a humanoid using the Star Wars Constraction sized torso frame and shells.

I mean, you can do a lot of different things. If you're wanting to create a nice, fleshed-out torso, I'd use shells like these and these, paired with a technic structure and pin add-ons like this, this, and this to convey detailing, with the last one being used to attach minifig-scale weapons and tools. If you want to go a simpler route, this piece paired with any of these parts is pretty likely to work well. Or you can do something like what this set did in 2011 to add to the chest and supply detail at the same time. The Star Wars constraction torso shell is a pretty big, useless piece that was introduced relatively recently and is rarely found unprinted, so I would use it pretty minimally. Hope that helps!

Edited by Azani