Sign in to follow this  
Rumble Strike

Heroica RPG - Quest#52: Tower of Doom

"Hold on! I don't think you should take this mysterious gem by yourself Guts. It's way to powerful for one man to control. We should make sure it stays out of everyones reach. If we cannot destroy it, we should throw it in a deep part of the ocean."

Guts raises an eyebrow, this distrust was somewhat insulting.

"What? You don't think it would attract people? No, the only true way for it to be harmless, if it's powers are unused. If it's not used, it can't pose a threat. The splinters could be collected if it was destroyed, it would be found if we hide it. I will consult with the Metasimian that took the Demon Book off me, Byblos I think it was. I am not without faults, but I despise dark magic and all it stands for. Look at me, am I the type to go around creating abominations and enslaving people? We have talked enough of this. I have made my decision, and until we get back to Eubric, I am still your party leader."

"I'm an devoted enemy to all kinds of dark magic as well, but I've learned the hard way that not even that is enough to withstand the evil power of this gem. Consulting Byblos is a good idea, but I doubt he has a good solution for what to do with it. Maybe it's better to give the Darkstar to an organization that can be trusted to never use it and that is filled with people that together will make sure no single person will come in control of the gem?"

QM Note: I am not allowing the Darkstar to be used as an artifact by any player character, therefore it would be completely inert and have no gameplay effects at all. If Scuba wants to use it as a roleplay prop to help further Guts' character then I don't mind that as a last resort, but my preferred view is that no single player character has it. I understand that Guts has issues trusting both the Zeigfrieds and the Maginastra, but as other characters have said, it is really too dangerous for one man to hold it.

Boo! Guts has the item, let him have it :tongue: It´s not like he has had a lot of loot, really.

Guts scoffs:

"Are you talking about your precious temple? Knowing the Paladins, they would use it, given the chance. Or would you give it into the care of Heroica? Who would controll it? A lonely Librarian whose only wisdom comes from his books? Or the Veterans, all tied up in their own little schemes? Perhaps you are talking about one of the other Houses? All of which would use them the second they figured out they could use it to get rich. I don´t intend to keep it, but until we have a suitable location for it, I see no better solution."

"The Paladin Order would never use it! I admit that there might be some of lesser faith that has infiltrated the Order, but with the combined power of all the righteous members and Ennoc they would never be able to come in contact with the Darkstar. No other organization in Eubric has such resistance and hate against dark magic as the Paladin Order, it's the safest option!"

"Then give it to the Veterans of Heroica. It's still better than having the Darkstar in the possession of a single person."

"Hm. I guess that IS the best option. As soon as we get back, I will run this thing by Byblos, and then present it to the veterans, if he doesn´t come up with a better solution. Feel free to accompany me."

Guts knew he could control it. Demons and the Dark had tempted him before, but he had always resisted them, hadn´t he? Or was Nerwen right, and was their decision to leave Haroka alive back in Ve´er really an idea given to them by the wretched gem? But it seemed his party members did not think he could do it. The Raider decided to humour them, for now. He did not need the power of some trinket. Guts knew he was going to change the world. But not through the use of a dark artifact.

"I'm glad there is a solution we can both approve of. Are you others fine with this as well?"

"Magistrata, take a look at the Darkstar, make sure it´s safe to carry around, but don´t try anything, I´ll be standing right here with my blade out."

Byverion stares absorbed at the Darkstar, held in Guts' hand whilst the Raider holds Lifestealer in the other, a statement of intent.

7252133104_e5d4180a46_t.jpg

"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing.

But I feel nothing emanating from the gem. No lure, no voices. The Darkstar gem was buried with Haroka, and it kept some small glimmer of life clinging to him, and allowed him to control life in the mine. This meant Sorona could bring him back fully into this realm with her dark magics. But now, it is different. You have taken the life from the Dark General, cleaved his head from his shoulders. There is no life left in him, and likewise, the Darkstar. They sustained each other, and now both are spent.

It is merely a pretty crystal now. The power of the Darkstar is no more. Do with it what you will."

"Well. That was awkward. Who´s for bringing this to the Ziegfrieds. They had a bounty equivalent of 1200 gold, a level of experience and improved reputation, if I remember correctly, for anyone who would bring this back."

QM Note: As discussed in the Discussion thread, you won't get that as the original Quest#13 party were compensated by Haroka to the same amount. You will get what was stated for this Quest, of course. I am checking with Sandy to see if I can give out a retrospective reputation increase as I don't think this has happened before.

"So it's just a normal gem now? Well, I've no interest in jewelry except for diamonds so you can do what ever you want with it. I don't care much for the Ziegfried mages so I won't come with you to them. I'm quite satisfied with the rewards for this quest."

Byverion sets up the strange flashing console, and the party head back to Eubric.

7252133104_e5d4180a46_t.jpg

"I believe the original reward was 200 gold pieces to each member of the party. To stave off any further disagreement or prolong discussions, I am willing to make that 250 gold to each hero, and I will take the Darkstar as a memento. Thank you for your help, heroes. You have done so much good in such a short time, and brought peace to Miranda once again. I hail you, Heroes of Heroica!"

The Quest is Successful!

QM Note: The decision has been made, as I haven't heard back from Sandy, and I really need to wrap this up now. The party stats have been updated with the gold and the items swapped back, I hope I haven't missed anything off. You are able to post in the Hall topic again. Thank you for playing, I hope you all enjoyed it :classic:

The party:

7980320141_6cde61dd30_t.jpg

Maurice Ratibor (Etzel)
*Immune to Stun*

51 years old male human Paladin

Level 21

Power:
(21 + 12 +1)

Defense:
(5 + 5)

Health:
45/45
(9 + 20 + 11 + 2 + 3)

Ether:
26/26
(5 + 1 + 20)

Gold:

Equipment:
(Manta Tail Staff (WP:12+50% Stun chance), Fauxthril Shield with Paladin emblem (SP:5),
Helm of Haroka (+2 health, +1 Power, Immunity to Stun effect, headwear)
, White Cloak (Max. Health +3)

Inventory:
(Emerald Staff (WP:10
Wood-elemental
), Mace (WP:5), Longsword (WP:5), Diamond x2, Scroll of Sleep, 3 Potions, 2 Tonics, 3 Ether Cores, 1 Remedy, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Venom, Elixir, Floral Bomb, Water Bomb, 2 Fire Bombs, Torch, Bone, Plume,
Helmet (+1 max. health)
, Mystic
Veil (+1 max health, +2 Ether, headwear, suitable for Ether users)
)

7441682730_7e226292c6_t.jpg

Guts Holla (Scubacarrot)
*Immune to
Weakened
Asleep
Confusion
and
Blinded
**Immune to
Darkness
Elemental Damage*
**Party Leader**

42 year old male human Raider

Level 23 1/3

Power: 50
(23+24 + 3)
, 35 for ranged attacks
(23+9+3)

Health: 36/36
(7+22+7)

Gold:

Equipment:
Lifestealer
(WP: 24,
Ice
Darkness
, attacks restore 3 health, Deadly Venom),
Dancing Shoes
(Wearer dances well, in the turn after a miss is rolled, the wearer can act twice. +Immunity to Sleep, Confusion and Blinded, + Immunity to Darkness Magic. Footwear),
Pugilist's Gloves
(2+ Power, Immune to Weakened, handwear),
Spiked Collar
(+1 Power, accessory).

Inventory:
Stag Antlers (WP:10,
Intimidation
when used), (Fafnir (WP: 14), Throwing Knife (WP: 9, Light, Retrievable), Throwing Axe (WP: 5, Retrievable), Hollow Dagger (WP: 6, Hollow),
Opal
, 7x Grand Potion, 1 Elixir, 1x Grand Tonic, 5x Remedy, 3x Phoenix Essence, Shovel, Telescope, Magic Compass, Bedroll, 3x Mythril Shard, Metasimian Ale, Spring Water.

Nagure(Costy)
*Immune to Ice-based elemental damage*

34 year old Male Yeti Barbarian.

Level 14

Power: 28
(Level 14 + WP 14)

Defense: 13
(Yeti Fur Coat, Helmet)

Health: 21/21
(Barbarian base 8 + level bonus 13)

Gold: 324

Equipment: Axe of the Croise(WP: 10),
Yeti Fur Coat
(Artefact) - SP:12, immunity to ice; suitable for yetis only; bodywear, Helmet (SP:1))

Inventory: (Phoenix Essence x2, Pickaxe, Helmet (Artifact, headwear, SP: 1, suitable for Rogues or Clerics and their Advanced Classes),
Ruby
, Stone Hammer (WP: 14, Earth-elemental, suitable for barbarians, clerics and alchemists), Heavy Armour (SP5, Protects from Fragile-effect.))

ava-nerwen.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)
*Immune to Sealed effect*

262 year old female Elven Cleric

Level 17

Power:
(Level 17+ WP:9)

Health:
25/25
(Base Cleric 9 + Level bonus 16)

Ether:
7/21
(Base Cleric 5 + Level bonus 16)

Gold:

Equipment:
Mourning Star (WP:9, inflicts fragile-effect; mace), Enchanted Bracelet (Protects from Sealed effect, accessory), Shackles of War (prevents anyone fleeing)

Inventory:
Staff (WP:6,
Wood
) Torch Staff (WP:5,
Fire
), Hammer (WP: 6), Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Sealing, 2 Grand Tonics, 2 potions, 3 elixirs, 2 remedies, Phoenix essence, Phoenix incense, Mead, Venom,
Fire
Bomb, 2
Ice
Bombs, Shovel, Bedroll, Bone, 1 Shackles of War, Winged Circlet (SP:2, Immune to
wind
; headwear), Magical Tiara (+3 Ether, headwear, suitable for Ether users), White Cloak(+3 Max health; backwear), Essence of Sorrow, Magical Staff (WP: 14, Water-elemental, suitable for clerics, mages and necromancers)

4BbNL.png

Sorrow (Endgame)

428 year old undead Assassin

Level:

Power:

Defense
: 1

Health:
19/28

Gold:

Equipment:
Steel fan (WP12,
Ice elemental
) Sticky Gloves, Armor of the Croise

Inventory:
Longsword (WP: 5), Bedroll, Tonic, Venom, Phoenix Essence, Archer's Hat (Artifact, headwear, Power +1, suitable for Rangers and their Advanced Classes),
Ether Core

gc5570571444584664818.jpg?width=80&height=75&aspect=fitwithin&padcolor=ffffff&size=thumb

Mizuki Kimura (zakura) *Immune to Enamoured effect*

Level: 15.5

Power: 25 (
15 + 10
)

Health: 12/21 (7 + 14)

Gold: 647

Equipment: (Dagger[WP 10], Eye Patch (Artifact, headwear. 50% Chance to stop Blind effect, suitable for any class),
Necklace (Protects from Enamoured effect, accessory)

Inventory:
Sylph Shuriken (WP:12,
wind
- and
light
-elemental; throwing weapon), Bow (WP: 5), 2 Potions, Phoenix Essence, 2 Venoms, 2 Holy Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Cannonball, Death Progg Claw, Trial Brew,
Grand Potion
Top Hat (WP: 14. 50% Stun chance, ranged, retrievable, suitable for rangers, rogues, beast warriors and infiltrators)

They step out of the Maginastra's home(?), and back into the warehouse they originally entered with Tolot. They step outside to see the sun is shining, at the start of a beautiful day...