lightningtiger

MOC - 1950's Australian Suburban Street

Sorry, about bumping this up but I need some help here.....the tram, yes I'm having trouble setting my mind to which kind to try and build.....style and colour correct.

So the choices are.....

sap02.jpgGreenW.jpgtrolley-of-the-day-1700-sydney-australia-tram-1.jpg7450_8061vi2uup.jpg

If you have any other suggestions for a tram from around the early 50's (even 1940's) please post them.

I think you should go with the South Australian theme and build the Glenelg tram. (the one at the bottom for international viewers)

:classic: :classic:

I think you should go with the South Australian theme and build the Glenelg tram. (the one at the bottom for international viewers)

:classic: :classic:

Oh, crap.....I knew someone will say that one.....it will be a while because I'll need to secure the brown parts and tan window frames.

But the signage on the building are Victorian-ised.....oh, well the tram is on holidays there ! :laugh:

Any more suggestions or ideas ? :wink:

Well to be honest I don't have a clue about Australia, let alone Australia in the 50s, but I do think that tram No. 1 and 4 look pretty nice and would both match your street scene. Colorwise I would also go with those, i.e. brown or reddish brown as the main color.

Well to be honest I don't have a clue about Australia, let alone Australia in the 50s, but I do think that tram No. 1 and 4 look pretty nice and would both match your street scene. Colorwise I would also go with those, i.e. brown or reddish brown as the main color.

Thanks 'bricksboy', that proves South Aussie trams rock colour wise and the rest don't ! :laugh:

The first one might be more realistic to build....less parts, less cost to my wallet. :blush:

I'll review that Birley Safety Car design today sometime and see how it fits my current chassis I have started work on.

More to come.....keep watching ! :classic:

Saw something on TV the other day about the closing down of the last independent hardware store in Port Melbourne, Faram Brothers.

Reminded me a lot of your hardware store and the look of it.

Its a pitty these old stores (not just hardware stores but many others too) have all but vanished to be replaced by faceless giant chains that wouldn't know genuine customer service if it hit them in the face (I speak from the personal experience of just how hard it can be to get help in pretty much any Bunnings store I have visited)

Saw something on TV the other day about the closing down of the last independent hardware store in Port Melbourne, Faram Brothers.

Reminded me a lot of your hardware store and the look of it.

Its a pitty these old stores (not just hardware stores but many others too) have all but vanished to be replaced by faceless giant chains that wouldn't know genuine customer service if it hit them in the face (I speak from the personal experience of just how hard it can be to get help in pretty much any Bunnings store I have visited)

Thanks for the reply 'jonwil', I just looked that store up then.....yes, it does remind me of mine a little. It is sad when old fashion stores offering real customer service closes.....the way of the world I'm afraid. :sadnew:

1331774427-faram-ext-pic-copy.jpg

Just a little more work to the Coles Store.

50s_street_940.jpg

235,128PD.jpg

This above is an actual store window from a Coles Store around 1951.

Any suggestions, questions, etc., feel free to post. :classic:

Looking great LT.

Maybe it is the flash of your camera, but the footpath appears to be too shiny.

Maybe using some old 'yellowing' tiles would give a more realistic effect.

Of course some of the PK from the milkbar on the footpath and some oil on the road would give an extra touch of realism.

Looking great LT.

Maybe it is the flash of your camera, but the footpath appears to be too shiny.

Maybe using some old 'yellowing' tiles would give a more realistic effect.

Of course some of the PK from the milkbar on the footpath and some oil on the road would give an extra touch of realism.

Thanks for the comments 'brickie', the streets and pavement are well kept......back in the day when council workers actually worked ! :laugh:

The tram is some weeks off now, parts to locate first......thinking about a pick-up truck to do as well. :wink:

Awesome! I like it a lot. That reminds me of Los Angeles back in the 50s.

Can't wait to see you to add more new buildings and trolley(s) to your work! :)

Awesome! I like it a lot. That reminds me of Los Angeles back in the 50s.

Can't wait to see you to add more new buildings and trolley(s) to your work! :)

Thanks for the positive feedback 'LegoFan03', now I need some help....what building is next ? :blush:

Council chambers, cinema, butchers shop, bootmaker, dress shop, a Woolworths (similar to Coles), a Four Square grocery store, police station, ?

Help is really needed here so suggestions are required thanks.....which ever is next will go next to the garage....so if has to look right ? :blush:

I would be very grateful for any feedback on this problem. :sweet:

Your MOCs don't even look like Lego, I'm stunned. They remind me of summers in Newport, OR. Good work, keep the pics coming.

Your MOCs don't even look like Lego, I'm stunned. They remind me of summers in Newport, OR. Good work, keep the pics coming.

Thank you 'SDH' for your kind words, I have decided to build a grocery store next.....either a Serv-Wel or 4 Square ? :wink:

Hey LT, well since you asked, first dress shop, then butchers shop, then boot maker, then police station, then cinema, then a grocery store, then others. IMHO. Oh, and I thought you needed another hot rod. LOL

1332764489m_THUMB.jpg

Edited by Oran

Hey LT, well since you asked, first dress shop, then butchers shop, then boot maker, then police station, then cinema, then a grocery store, then others. IMHO. Oh, and I thought you needed another hot rod. LOL

1332764489m_THUMB.jpg

Ah, a dress shop....I'll make that the next one as I'm already researching the grocery store....the dress shop will be a Rockmans, which are still around today (though in the 50's they sold fabric, haberdashery and childrens fashion....that last one I'll have to look at more closely though). :wink:

I must say 'Oran'.....excellent hot rod....looks like it's from Happy Days or American Graffiti. :wink:

Seven hours were spent yesterday researching the grocers, trying to find building designs, paint jobs on said structures, adverting to select the products to display on shelves and on the counter.

Hopefully later today I can upload the beginning of this new additional creation.....keep watching ! :wink:

Edit - on second thoughts.....a dress shop might be a good idea. :wink:

Edited by lightningtiger

LT

Once again, it is looking good.

As you are getting ready to build a tram, I thought that I might share a tram that I built a couple of years ago.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/618CMU/Whitetrain/dsc_4123.jpg

It is a Brisbane 'drop centre' tram from the '50s.

It is pictured going past the Brisbane City hall at the BLTG display last year.

One day I will get around o putting stickers on it.

It has a 9V motor and moves on 9V tracks quite well.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Ricecracker
Removed image as it was over 800x600.

Thank you for sharing your tram design.....gives this tiger a lot to think about.

But right now I'm working on the dress shop, I trying to go for something along these lines......

BRG347_1000.jpg

I'll try and have a photo up tomorrow of what I designed so far. :wink:

I've been busy.....

wip_rockmans_99.jpg

Stickering, pavement/road/tramway and store dummies plus some hanging merchandise required.....more to come.

Comments and suggestions plus questions welcome. :classic:

Thanks for the positive feedback 'LegoFan03', now I need some help....what building is next ? :blush:

Council chambers, cinema, butchers shop, bootmaker, dress shop, a Woolworths (similar to Coles), a Four Square grocery store, police station, ?

Help is really needed here so suggestions are required thanks.....which ever is next will go next to the garage....so if has to look right ? :blush:

I would be very grateful for any feedback on this problem. :sweet:

You should do the diner or drive in theater or drive in diner. :)

You should do the diner or drive in theater or drive in diner. :)

If this was set in the late 50's then yeah, a diner would fit nicely......before that diners were in the city and mostly in the department (Myer, John Martin's, Grace Bros.) and variety stores (Coles, Woolworths).

The sticker designs have been finalised for the last building picture and will be done early next week. So to the interior and roadway, etc.,.

Next a grocery store......when is this going to stop eh ? :laugh:

This is getting ridiculous. This street scene looks very realistic. I like the overall building designs and color usage. This seems to fit very well with TLG style. I could see some of these as sets (only they are still more detailed than the sets I remember as a kid).

Keep up the great work. I will keep my eye on this forum.

when you run out of parts and or money :tongue:

True, but I have 10,000 parts at least.....and if cash is low then I wait and design on LDD first to see what parts I need.

Thanks 'azuremoon' and 'TheLegoDr' for your kind words and yes, keep an eye out this week because more is happening. :wink: