Sign in to follow this  
Dragonator

Mystery Manor - Chapter Three

I will like to use the stool to climb up. Before doing so, I will like to flip the stool ...

I've met guys like you...

I will like to examine the two large ornate spears, to see if it has been moved before or anything special about the weapons. It seemed this manor is filled with medieval weapons.

Peter walks over to the suit of armour and removes the helmet. There is nothing inside it, nor anywhere else in the armour. Feeling a bit disgruntled, he walks back to the desk and searches for a pencil. Failing to find one, he instead picks up the top sheet and pockets it for later.

Following Peter's advice, Ms Sandy picks up the little gold key and tries it in the draw of the desk. A satisfying click is heard, and she opens the draw. Inside the draw is a single sheet of paper, depicting a cartoon illustration of a Sea Lion sitting on a rock in the sea. It is waving a Nazi flag in one hand, and is holding a musket in the other. Underneath the drawing is written the number 318. The only other thing on the sheet is a cross inked into the bottom left corner.

Michael picks up the book on European history and thumbs through it. There are no bookmarks, and nothing falls outs. Putting that down, you go help steady the stool so Dr. Phil can look at the chandelier. The stool looks stable enough, and there are no markings on it or anything. With Michael supporting it, Dr. Phil stands on the stool and takes a look at the chandelier. It is well crafted in heavily gilded wood. You cannot see anything of much interest though.

After much dispute, the small hunting knife is wrapped in somebodies hankie and put into a plastic bag. The detectives are still undecided as to who should look after it however...

Dr. Phil, after climbing down from the stool, walks over to the two spears flanking the door they entered though. They are rather ornate, and are similar in appearance to those seen in the dining room. They are standing quite straight in their holders.

After much dispute, the small hunting knife is wrapped in somebodies hankie and put into a plastic bag. The detectives are still undecided as to who should look after it however...

Oh look, a lion charging directly at us! *while everyone glances in random directions, Peter grabs the knife and tosses the whole thing, bag and all, up into the chandelier where it becomes wedged. Now, will you children stop playing with knives and get down to business here? :hmpf:

a single sheet of paper, depicting a cartoon illustration of a Sea Lion sitting on a rock in the sea. It is waving a Nazi flag in one hand, and is holding a musket in the other. Underneath the drawing is written the number 318. The only other thing on the sheet is a cross inked into the bottom left corner.[/i]

Nazis... I hate these guys. :hmpf_bad:

Sea Lion. Brings to mind Seelöwe, Operation Sea Lion. The Gerries had this ridiculous plan to invade England through an amphibious assault across the channel. It relied on far too many uncontrollable factors and unwinnable situations and was given up on. If it's related, this paper would have to be from 1939 or 1940. The number 318 could refer to almost anything ...

I'd like to take a look through the non fiction books, specifically those in the 318 range, which I believe would be "General statistics of South America", an area not entirely without it's Nazi history. Perhaps Chester or this 'Guardian' has a load of old Nazi gold stashed somewhere. :oh:

If that fails, I suggest we all take a book (I'll start with this bible since there is a cross in the picture) and turn to page 318, looking for anything out of place.

Perhaps we're starting to get somewhere. :sweet:

Nice deduction skills, Mr. Crawford. I will look at the book about the history of Europe at page 318 in search of any marked words or writings.

Now we're getting somewhere!

I agree that we should look in the history book on page 318. Perhaps that will lead to another clue, or a pass code.

Ehm. Well. I would like to retrieve the knife and inspect it. See what it looks like. If it's old or new. If it has been used recently or not at all.

I will like to flip the books which contain the non fiction titles, to page 318, to see if anything interesting pop out and to check if there is any other small notes in it.

It's a pictogram...

It means something...I think :sceptic:

It's a pictogram...

It means something...I think :sceptic:

We need Sinner, it seems like it would be right up his alley! Sinner, who? I have no idea what I'm talking about. Looks like I'm in good company. :tongue:

Peter has an idea about the drawing, and following this thread, he goes to look at section 318 in the non-fiction section. Unfortunately it seems that there are no books in the library in this section. Feeling a little disappointed, Peter returns to the desk and pulls out the bible. The bible is the Good News Bible, 2002 edition. He flips to page 318. This page is in the 1st book of Samuel and shows verses 15 to the end of Chapter 18 (verse 30) and the first 8 verses of Chapter 19. You cannot see anything out of place.

Miss Sandy meanwhile turns to page 318 in the European history book. This page has some text on the Cold War. There are no marked words or anything else out of place.

John climbs up and retrieves the knife to take a look at it. It appears quite old, at least a couple of hundred years. There is a small dragon carves into the pommel. It looks quite clean.

I will like to flip the books which contain the non fiction titles, to page 318, to see if anything interesting pop out and to check if there is any other small notes in it.

I don't think we have enough time to go through every single book in the whole non-fiction section, is there any particular book you want to look for or find?

I don't think we have enough time to go through every single book in the whole non-fiction section, is there any particular book you want to look for or find?

Well, barring a vast collection of chandelier books... :grin:

Let's see... I'll start with Majiko's Cookbook the green potion book, then try any WWII histories or volumes on dragons, the region, or any editions of the Illustrated Guide to Oversized Door Hardware. I love big knockers. :wub:

If this doesn't work out, I guess we'll just have to keep it all in mind and move on. Unless someone has something else they'd like to check, I'd say we head out the other door and see where it takes us. Of course, if we do find something interesting, we can stand around and chat it up some more (and hopefully our sleeping participants will wake up... :hmpf_bad:).

So Peter, you want to look through these books do you? Nobody else seems to be interested in solving this, so why don't we take a look together, aye?

The pair look through the green potions book but don't find anything. There are a lot of books on dragons (surprisingly), it'll take to long to look through all of them. The Illustrated Guide to Oversized Door Hardware also turns up nothing.

Hmmm, perhaps we are missing something here. Why don't we take another look at the pictogram perhaps? I'm sure there must be more to it.

So Peter, you want to look through these books do you? Nobody else seems to be interested in solving this, so why don't we take a look together, aye?

Might as well, I think this lot has forgotten that we've only been at it for a few hours. They're acting like this has been going on for weeks or something. :hmpf_bad:

The Illustrated Guide to Oversized Door Hardware also turns up nothing.

Then you're not looking at the right pages... :grin:

Hmmm, perhaps we are missing something here. Why don't we take another look at the pictogram perhaps? I'm sure there must be more to it.

Yes, a good idea. Now, where did that picture go? Hmmm... guess I'll have to imagine it in my head.

A sea lion. On a rock. In the sea (duh). With a musket. Waving a nazi flag. 318 underneath. A cross inked into the left corner.

So, we have a dirty Gerry sea lion with an old weapon, sitting on a rock in the sea. 318 could mean anything from a combination to a time, an inventory number or an age (don't ask), but the cross may be a map symbol as opposed to a religious icon. Aside from the number, though, we aren't exactly being given any directions or pinpointed locations to turn this into a map.

It keeps coming back to that silly Operation Sea Lion, no matter how I google it try to think about it.

I just don't know... have any ideas, Draggy? I mean, it is just you and me now, and if we're ever going to get out of this house, I'm going to need some help here, and maybe someone else will regain consciousness and assist us if we start to get somewhere.

I just don't know... have any ideas, Draggy? I mean, it is just you and me now, and if we're ever going to get out of this house, I'm going to need some help here, and maybe someone else will regain consciousness and assist us if we start to get somewhere.

Hmmm, it is tricky, isn't it? This operation Sea Lion you keep talking about, when did you say it was planned for?

Hmmm, it is tricky, isn't it? This operation Sea Lion you keep talking about, when did you say it was planned for?

If you don't mind me butting in, I just looked up the operation from Wikipedia (with this handy laptop I whipped out of... er, nowhere...), and it was planned to take place in September 1940 (that's 9-40 for you), but it was cancelled on 17th of September 1940 (9-17-40 in short).

Further research on the date shows that it was the birthday of a Swedish diplomat Jan Eliasson and a Greek actor Sotiris Moustakas, but otherwise it was an uneventful day. The date itself is also the National Heroes' Day of Angola.

How this all is related to the picture... I have no idea. :tongue:

The date itself is also the National Heroes' Day of Angola.

If that's not it I don't know what is! :tongue:

This is a tough one... It was cancelled on the 17th of September like Sandy said.

The EB detectives are stumped by this most recent clue. What could it mean? What are thy missing? These are just some of the questions they are trying to find an answer for.

The detectives are surprised then to hear a shout of excitement break the quiet of the library. "I've got it!" shouts Anthony. Walking out to stand in the middle of the floor, he addresses the other detectives.

"I have been thinking long and hard on this, and suddenly it all makes sense! I've figured out the meaning of this most recent clue, but first, I want to unveil... the murderer!!"

The other detectives gasp. Could he really have figured who among them it was that committed the murder, when they haven't yet even found a body?

"I can see your doubt, but I tell you truly that I know who it is. My many years as a private detective have allowed me to see many things that you have missed. But enough talk. The murderer of Lord Chester, who is standing here amongst us, is-"

At that moment a loud groan is heard up above, and the chandelier that was sitting so gracefully amongst the rafters falls towards the floor. Anthony only has time to get out a quick squawk before the metal spike on the underside of the frame drives through his head. The other detectives jump back just in time and manage to avoid injury. This is not so for the poor PI, who is most definitely dead by the look of the blood running out from under the now very badly smashed chandelier.

The detectives gradually get to their feet, having trouble coming to terms with what just happened. Eventually, someone manages to sum up what they are all feeling.

M&g@bl%cks!!

I'm gonna pull out my gun and fire heavily into the ceiling!

But look, we all heard it. A groan from above! There must be some passage up there or something!

But look, we all heard it. A groan from above! There must be some passage up there or something!

The groan could've been from the old wood or some lever of some sort. It doesn't mean a person was up there groaning. If it was a lever, the killer could be standing right among us... :look:

Holy cow! One of us has just been impaled and you are just analyzing the situation!

I want to go through those big doors leading south, and asap!

Holy cow! One of us has just been impaled and you are just analyzing the situation!

I want to go through those big doors leading south, and asap!

And I want to analyze this pictogram further. Does it look any differently up-side-down?

Nazi seal musket rock.

Notseal muskrock. Does that mean anything to anyone? Notseal muskrock 318? Stone over 318. Rock under seal. Rocksealnazigun. Nazi seal over number rock. notseal muskrock insea 318. What the hell does this mean? Armed Nazi Seal over 318.

What the hell am I even saying?

If you don't mind me butting in, I just looked up the operation from Wikipedia (with this handy laptop I whipped out of... er, nowhere...), and it was planned to take place in September 1940 (that's 9-40 for you), but it was cancelled on 17th of September 1940 (9-17-40 in short).

Further research on the date shows that it was the birthday of a Swedish diplomat Jan Eliasson and a Greek actor Sotiris Moustakas, but otherwise it was an uneventful day. The date itself is also the National Heroes' Day of Angola.

How this all is related to the picture... I have no idea. :tongue:

Oh, I see. How did this come up through a google search? I tried it and couldn't find that... Hmmmm planned for 09-1940...

I'll think about it while I go to the Gym...

The groan could've been from the old wood or some lever of some sort. It doesn't mean a person was up there groaning. If it was a lever, the killer could be standing right among us... :look:

It's not really specified in what...Dragonator....er....is telling us. But those are true. Either way, I'd like to check if there is anything (On top of?) on the ceiling.

So...uhm, do we just leave him here, or something? It's a downright shame he died.