IcarusBuilds

[MOC][WIP][LDD] Minifig Scale Rebels Tie Fighters

Hey everyone,

Was just browsing the board and noticed @Forresto asking about Rebels style Tie Fighters, so I pulled up the ones I designed a little while back that I hadn't posted yet.

I haven't had time to build them in real bricks yet, but once I get some free time I'll probably give it a go.

First up in the Standard Rebels Tie Fighter;

33161261553_fcaf579a56_b.jpg

I combined multiple techniques from different builders from here and on Flickr to get the ball as round as possible, I can't remember who right now, but if I remember I will try to add names.

33974449255_21ec6ded2f_k.jpg

Changing the wing size from the standard was a bit of a pain but this seams to hold together.

Next is my version of the Inquisitor's Tie Advanced Prototype;

33933065826_5990207b77_z.jpg

The wings were also a pain to build on this one, I tried to keep them as thin as possible, which unfortunately means they aren't the strongest design, but they will work for now.

33933065596_c180aa4125_k.jpg

Hope you all enjoy, I realise tie fighters are a dime a dozen, but I tried to go in a different direction with my design to better fit the Rebels aesthetic.

Edited by IcarusBuilds

Hello !

I'm not very found of Rebels TIE Fighter design but your TIE Advanced Prototype looks very good ! I love the way you built the wings.

Ramses25

These are very good, the curved wings on the tie advanced especially. I can't help but feel though that using a 6x6 parabolic dish instead of a 4x4 would afford more opportunity for even better details and accuracy. At that size I think you could produce an even more spherical shape. That's just my scale preference though and as I said these are both really good nonetheless 

Wow your rendition of the TIE is really great! The over stylized look actually looks better in Lego.

When the Rebels style TIE was first revealed I think I was with the majority of people when I say that I didn't like them much. However, I got to admit they've grown on me, to the point where I now can't decide which version I prefer. Which, now I think about it, is probably why my version resembles a bit of both :P But that's all beside the point, I'm just glad to see more Rebels TIEs are being made! I love the way you've slimmed down the curved wings as much as possible on the Advanced variant, way closer to the actual profile than Lego's version. Makes me wonder what a mining guild TIE or even Sabine's one-of-a-kind artwork would look like in the same style! ;D

On 13/04/2017 at 5:42 PM, Inthert said:

When the Rebels style TIE was first revealed I think I was with the majority of people when I say that I didn't like them much. However, I got to admit they've grown on me, to the point where I now can't decide which version I prefer. Which, now I think about it, is probably why my version resembles a bit of both :P But that's all beside the point, I'm just glad to see more Rebels TIEs are being made! I love the way you've slimmed down the curved wings as much as possible on the Advanced variant, way closer to the actual profile than Lego's version. Makes me wonder what a mining guild TIE or even Sabine's one-of-a-kind artwork would look like in the same style! ;D

@Inthert I think your tie was one of the ones I borrowed ideas from. And since you mentioned the Mining Guild and Sabine's Tie, I took a little time and moc'd some up.

Mining Guild Tie:

The altered wings took some playing around with, but I was able to make them work. Though I'm not sure of there strength if made in real bricks.

33942745952_118101d432_b.jpgStar Wars REBELS - Minifig Scale Mining Guild Tie Fighter by IcarusBuilds, on Flickr

33942746612_71447d1fab_k.jpgMining Guild Tie Scale Project-TEST by IcarusBuilds, on Flickr

Sabine's Custom Tie:

Getting the colours to look good on this is pretty challenging without the use of stickers, and unfortunately with the wings, the colour comes through on both sides, not sure how to remedy that. 

33942745892_8f2fbf7028_b.jpgStar Wars REBELS - Minifig Scale Sabine's Tie Fighter by IcarusBuilds, on Flickr

33942746152_af55ebef05_k.jpgSabine's Tie Scale Project-TEST by IcarusBuilds, on Flickr

Enjoy.

Edited by IcarusBuilds

18 hours ago, IcarusBuilds said:

@Inthert I think your tie was one of the ones I borrowed ideas from. And since you mentioned the Mining Guild and Sabine's Tie, I took a little time and moc'd some up.

Mining Guild Tie:

The altered wings took some playing around with, but I was able to make them work. Though I'm not sure of there strength if made in real bricks.

Sabine's Custom Tie:

Getting the colours to look good on this is pretty challenging without the use of stickers, and unfortunately with the wings, the colour comes through on both sides, not sure how to remedy that. 

I thought I recognised some bits and pieces of the design, didn't want to mention it just in case it was pure coincidence. But now I know, I want to say I like how you've modified it to better fit the rebels aesthetic!

Shame about the colour being visible on both sides of Sabine's TIE but I suppose its unavoidable without altering the whole design. Nice job with the colours on the bubble though! I have say I love the mining guild variant, its design is just so right for the stylised version and although the wings may be fragile they definitely look good!

I'm very tempted to modify my own TIE's now, or at least make alternative wings so I can swap between the two versions.