paulmaglev

9-Volt Motor Substitutes

'ME-Models' markets metal tracks that substitute Lego's official 9-volt track, and 4D-Brix reproduces 9-volt monorail substitute parts (including track, motors, plus battery packs) as well, so why has nobody stepped up to the plate and tried to recreate/mass produce motorized 9-volt train bogies/trucks (serial number 590/70358)?  A mint one currently goes for as much as 70 USD and used ones go for almost 40 USD, which is ridiculous since that's enough money to buy me food for a week.

In between working on tracks, I've been working on a power pick-up wheelset to build a hybrid 9V/PF system.

Wheelset overview

If the PF tracks do well this year, next year I hope to release all the tracks in 9V along with these wheelsets.

56 minutes ago, coaster said:

In between working on tracks, I've been working on a power pick-up wheelset to build a hybrid 9V/PF system.

[Image]

If the PF tracks do well this year, next year I hope to release all the tracks in 9V along with these wheelsets.

Man that is so cool! I would be totally interested in this. Will it still be able to run on battery power like a real hybrid? I would want to use those wheels to charge up the train in the "depot" and then have it drive around on PF track until it needs recharging. That would be a dream come true. 

4 hours ago, coaster said:

shutup_and_take_my_money.jpg

In the mean time, one or two years back there were a couple of good threads about replacing the actual motor in a 9v shell with the motor from a PF shell, e.g., this one . One of the big limitations is that the brushes wear out, but a few folks had solutions for that too... don't remember if that was discussed in the linked videos.