Sign in to follow this  
JDL1967

Where is part x928cx1 exectly used for

Is part x928cx1 used for gearring down an L or M when used for steering, or is it used for bring the wheels automaticly back to the centreposition?

Edited by JDL1967

It brings back to centre position. There are no gears inside this part.

If you search on bricklink, it is used for some hockey players, to throw pucks. People have used it in cars to force 'return-to-center' of the steering system. In a real car, the tire geometry/angles force the tire to 'self-align'. Essentially, if you move the car forward, the tires would 'automatically' line up in the fore-aft direction. With lego tires, this is not possible, and that is why some MOCers use such part to force steering to go to zero. Side note: I have 14 of them :)

Not sure there is enough torque in it to bring the motor to zero (those L/M motors have gears inside, that require moderately high torque). Also, you need to use a clutch to make sure you do not burn the motor.

So, one way to connect this is:

Motor -> axle -> clutch -> gear on clutch -> axle -> spring (one u want to use). I'll try doing an LDD later tonight.

You can attach motors directly, but don't keep it constantly in turned position. Sort of press and release.

Essentially, if you move the car forward, the tires would 'automatically' line up in the fore-aft direction. With lego tires, this is not possible,

Well, it is perfectly possible as long as you include some caster in your suspension geometry which is exactly how real cars do it. A few builders have managed it with Technic parts.

Well, it is perfectly possible as long as you include some caster in your suspension geometry which is exactly how real cars do it. A few builders have managed it with Technic parts.

Correct, I assumed the build was 'basic'. Putting Caster and other tire angles in a lego car is not 'easy', though for sure doable.

Not sure there is enough torque in it to bring the motor to zero (those L/M motors have gears inside, that require moderately high torque). Also, you need to use a clutch to make sure you do not burn the motor.

So, one way to connect this is:

Motor -> axle -> clutch -> gear on clutch -> axle -> spring (one u want to use). I'll try doing an LDD later tonight.

An LDD would be great. I am still learning, i am working on a nice moc, and i want to try to get it fully functional. With driving, steering and suspension. I build 4 times a confuguration with suspension. But all 4 dont work, because they are to big ( the height to mutch ) so i am still try to figur out how to get it a bit flatter..

Edited by JDL1967

If the idea is to incorporate FWD or AWD (motorized), then caster angle won't get you there alone. Think of the caster effect as a wheel trailing the steering axis like the wheel of a shopping trolley. Now imagine drive is applied to the wheel and it's easy to understand that the trailing effect will be disturbed. For FWD and AWD you need a combination of positive caster angle and kingpin inclination. The latter adds to straight-line stability, because it causes the car to lift as the wheels are turned.

Edited by Didumos69

Tnx everyone, i will search on BL to get part x928cx1. And then its back to the build.

Here is a very simplistic LDD. Please note that the part is not availabe in LDD and as such, I used 3 yellow connectors to

represent it.

One question remains for me. The gear in white on your LDD, is that a normal or a clutchgear?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/djamil/R2CSteering/r2c_steering.lxf

r2c_steering.png

One question remains for me. The gear in white on your LDD, is that a normal or a clutchgear?

It is a clutch gear, to prevent the motor from stalling, overheating, and destroying itself.

Edited by DrJB

I never used any sort of clutch gears. x928cx1 is strong enough to return a medium motor to its center 1:1, as can be seen

and
. I've been using this solution since 2005. As long as you don't permanently keep it in the steered position you should be absolutely fine. Nevertheless, I would recommend just getting a PF Servo, as it's WAY better suited for the task. Edited by mahjqa

I hope today i recieve the parts i orderd, so i can go on with my build. I have take a look to see if i can create room for a servo, but it will be an M motor with the gears you all recommended. The model will take sometime to be ready, but the beginning is there...