JamesJT

[C-MODEL] 42025 - NASA Shuttle (Orbiter)

Great and absolutely recognisable alternative model! The functions are cool!

It isn't supposed to move. If it did move then it wouldn't transfer the movement to the solar panel on the satelite (or you would need a second mechanism to open the solar panels).

Looks to me like a linear actuator bracket should go there and is probably missing from LDD.

A few parts have been removed by Garrond to better illustrate his question.

It isn't supposed to move. If it did move then it wouldn't transfer the movement to the solar panel on the satelite (or you would need a second mechanism to open the solar panels).

The thing is it stops that big cogweel in fixed place - is that a desired output? My result is nonmovable panels :(

I put there an normal axle - maybe that's a problem?

Edited by Garrond

Yes, trust me, it is supposed to be fixed. I just checked my model against the LDD file, it is exactly the same. Mine works just like in the youtube clip.

I really like your Shuttle. It looks great. You did a good job filling all the technis holes for a smooth finished product. I looked through you Flickr photos too. Wow, great stuff. I really like your aircraft. :thumbup:

I have re-designed my shuttle without the "C-Model" limitations. I am going to put this version on Lego Ideas.

19977058761_7e93b6f5f7_c.jpglego 113 by James Tillson, on Flickr

19785161629_b1d78bf483_c.jpglego 108 by James Tillson, on Flickr

19977073431_bf18db530f_c.jpglego 114 by James Tillson, on Flickr

19945923946_5a22d0a118_c.jpglego 106 by James Tillson, on Flickr

19785468099_2f3dd953f8_c.jpglego 112 by James Tillson, on Flickr

I also made a new video but it is only slightly better than my original.

Hello James,

I'm a big fan of space and I like Space Shuttle. Your shuttle as Model C is really very good and inspiration for me. But when I would have no limitations I would make same details in other way:

- The front nose - better design, this looks unfinished

- It's technic but I'm missing the windows

- Inside of the wings - liftarms should be in one direction

- The rudder - the upper part without those 3L half thin liftarms

- 2 small support engines are missing

- better satellite

- etc ...

That were the first details that I would change if I rebuild it... :)

But as I said, your C basic model looks really good... :)

What you made perpect (!!!) is control of landing gears and satellite via rear engines... :)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Another fan of space here and although I've stated previosly that this is not my favourite vehicle and I'd prefer to have a model of the venerable Soyuz I'd like to build this (probably a Buran version which won't need the parts for the SSMEs but should have a second robotic arm) if I get enough parts soon. I don't like the nose, though. I know it is pretty hard to change it but now it reminds me of the nose of Sierra Nevada's Dream Chaser or ESA's Hermes because it's "roundy" instead of "pointy" (very scientific description here hehehe). The rest is great IMHO.

Love the control scheme! Very clever and playable! Say. Where's that moving platform MOC for the shuttle? Is that the right scale?

Cool one!

I am going to put this version on Lego Ideas.

What about rebrickable?

The project is published and "gathering support"

The Scale of this model is 1:78. it would look too small on the MOC platform.

I didn't put it on rebrickable because I don't have instructions, just the LDD file.

I am happy with the design but I'm sure Lego's own designers could do a much better job.

If it gets 500 supporters before it is deleted in 12 months time I will be amazed.

Edited by JamesJT

Well, you're of to a good start at least :-)

I like the model a lot. It also seems quite realistic as a LEGO set, not a 20k-piece MOC. The only thing that I think could be better is the movie.

P.S. there are lots of MOCs on rebrickable with only a 3D file no instructions.

The project is published and "gathering support"

The Scale of this model is 1:78. it would look too small on the MOC platform.

I didn't put it on rebrickable because I don't have instructions, just the LDD file.

I am happy with the design but I'm sure Lego's own designers could do a much better job.

If it gets 500 supporters before it is deleted in 12 months time I will be amazed.

Hello JamesJT, can you share the LDD file (from 42025 parts) - redik@orangemail.sk

And BTW excelent mod...

Done. Don't forget to edit your message and remove your email address. Please post some pictures if you build it.

I have built this model a while ago. Great model, poor pictures I'm afraid.

In my opinion the use of panels in this model is better than in the A model. The functions are also really clever.

2gsixvl.jpg

The model looks much better in real life, and I can advise anyone who has the set to build it. Just don't use the build instructions function in LDD, just use the build view and the hide tool.

whog3a.jpg

In this picture the shuttle was apparently deploying the satellite while preparing for landing (facepalm).

wl2jk7.jpg

This model is really cool. I like how you used the blue beams for the stand. In the A-model of the set, that portion of the cargo plane looks like it's being "de-rezzed" or it's part of one of those fade-to-wire-frame pictures or something.

Great model !

Can I add myself to the list of those wanting the LDD

(I'm a newbie, so can't PM yet)

Hi James, this is beautiful, been looking forward to an alternate build and as I'm moving the disassembled model to my new flat in the UK this would be a great excuse :)

- just registered to get the LDD, if you don't mind sending it over to *redacted*

Will take some proper build photos in exchange!

cheers :)

Edited by craiv

James, thanks for the model - you're a star. I have supported your project and I'll do my best to share with friends and colleagues :)