Sign in to follow this  
Ickelpete

4958 Review

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Here is a review of the new Monster Dino creator set with power functions

First lets start with the box which is much larger than it needs to be!!

creator_dino.jpg

It is one of the new style re-closeable boxes rather than the rip the sides style.

This set is typical of creator and comes with three sets of instructions.

The Monster Dino a kind of spider and a Crocodile

dscf0106.jpg

The set comes with two of the new motors one small and one large, a sound module plus the new IR controler and receiver.

There is a mix of techniques in this set the core is mainly studless technic, there are some studded technic parts and most of the details are standard creator style.

There are two mechanisms one to control the legs and one to control the head and arms.

The leg drive is from the large motor

dscf0110.jpg

and the arm and head are operated from the small motor

dscf0111.jpg

The completed mechanism will stand on its own without any detail added

dscf0114.jpg

The detail is added to the base unit to complete the model.

dscf0124.jpg

dscf0125.jpg

The operation of the Dino is very good the design for the motors and drives is very compact and well thought out. The walking motion works well although there is no steering and it will fall over it it encounters obstacles.

The sound module is built into the head so when the mouth opens the Dino roars (sort of)

Glyman made the comment that this set is ugly as sin and I tend to agree I think there are too many colour variations with different shades of grey, black and that lime green :-P which confuses the look of the finished model but I guess it might apeal more to younger kids.

I also do not like the spikes along the back, which glow in the dark, because the are loose and keep falling off.

This set is not cheap at �70 but I guess this is because of the motors and IR controller. While on this I was surprised how good the range was on the new controller it would still operate ever when not in direct line of sight.

I would give this set a 10/10 for playabilityit has kept the kid amused for hours

I would give it 6/10 for value for money it is a bit pricey

Overall 8/10 It took approx 3 hours to build and has been well played with

I have posted some more images and some videos of the finished models on my brickshelf page HERE

If you have any questions please ask

Pete

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Thanks for your review Ickelpete! *y*

Nice little movie you made (what

Thanks very much for that review. I downloaded the instructions last week and I was largely impressed with what was in it. However, like Holodoc, I am waiting for the Bulldozer. I might have to settle with the dino though if Lego charge Australian some absurd price...

EDIT: I just watched the videos. Thanks! They are great. The dino is better than I thought...

Edited by Sinner

Thank you very much for that interesting review, Ickelpete. *y*

Well, the color scheme

Tks a lot for your review Ickelpete ;-)

I saw that set at TRU a couple of weeks ago but was really not interested due to the design - I am not a fan of those motorized Lego sets |-/

I guess the lime colour is to please kids, as well as the general design, far from a real dino ;-) I am sure that its going to sell well to a younger croud.

Let me quote you here:

The walking motion works well although there is no steering and it will fall over it it encounters obstacles.

Hum, I really hope it works welll because I will have to buy that motorized AT-AT and I dont want it to crash :-P

*yoda*

First lets start with the box which is much larger than it needs to be!!

Pete

No LEGO box is too big my friend X-D ;-) Nice review *y* As for the set... I don't like the colors myself (surprised? X-D ), and it seems a little blocky. Otherwise, the set is cool. I really like the head.

I bought this set last night and it is great. My biggest surprise was the wheels that were included;

32146.jpg

I didn't even know they existed and there aren't even that new. Back to the set, he is such a cute dinosaur. :-D Since he is so tubby I think he looks like a baby! I suspect my wife wanted him more than me.... my biggest interest in the set was to have more motors and IR parts so I could make an IR car.

Overall, I highly recomend this set, but as others have said, be warned that the box is very oversized. I wish Lego would give up on this whole 1:1 picture thing. *wacko*

The box is has really strange dimensions - it's very flat but has a large front - the 1:1 scale. Regarding the spines, because they're made of the softer non-ABS plastic (the stuff the 1994 cutlasses and brown muskets were made of), they lose their shape a bit and so are hard to grip; they simply fall off. I suppose TLC use loads of different colours because a single or two-colour dino isn't very nice to look at, especially when the surface isn't very smooth - it takes your eyes away from the surface and puts it on the colours. Someone should make an all terrain dino that can walk everywhere from this set - I don't have the skill with technic - I always end up layering and never finish any models. :-(

Thanks for the nice review.

It's butt ugly to me but the motors + IR control seem pretty neat !

Even at that high price, it looks like a good parts pack ! *sweet*

I didn't spot this great review earlier. Thanks for the effort of posting all those pics and videos, they helped me decide that this set is worth getting.