Sign in to follow this  
simonwillems

Medieval walled city

indexed.gif

Hello fellow Eurobrickers,

I have had the idea for a long time, I build this during the Christmas holidays and only last week I took the time to take some pictures.

I present to you my Medieval walled city/town.

This is the first big medieval layout I ever made, I toyed with the idea even before the 10193 MMV was brought on the market and when the set came out I bought it and started construction on a town for it. I already had the Blacksmith shop and together with a few more houses, a church, townhall, fortifications and minfigures this is how it turned out.

Let's take a small tour:

middleages001.jpg

First there is an overview of the town, seen from outside the walls surrounding it with a small bridge. More on the bridge later.

middleages002.jpg

The main square of the town, with the detailed townhall I showed in my townhall topic earlier on. A defense tower is visible in the foreground.

middleages003.jpg

A shot of the main gate to the town, defending soldiers can use the walks on the wall to get all across town.

middleages004.jpg

A picture of the arriving king with the town in the background with the townhall in the center and the church on the left.

You might notice the roundness of the bridge deck, I achieved this by tiling a 8x32 green baseplate with 1x8 tiles and then make a bridge that is 31 studs long so the plate has to be bend slightly to fit. It does not hurt the plate and causes a smooth round shape. Not my idea, but from someone on Legoworld in Zwolle. It works great.

middleages005.jpg

A top view of the town, showing the arrangements of the various buildings and walls.

middleages006.jpg

The biggest building in town: the church. The interior consists of a few technic beams and nothing else, so not worth taking pictures of. I made the large window with transparant plates commonly used for car lights.

On the right the Blacksmith shop is visible.

middleages007.jpg

A small outdoor workshop for the other Blacksmith in town, he is currently mending the wheel from one of the houses of the MMV and keeping some cows in the backyard. His little shack leans against the other defense wall.

middleages008.jpg

Another view of the main square, showing the waterwell.

middleages009.jpg

The only tree that did not fit in the town was this one, so it flourishes outside the walls, there are some munks arriving and a beggar has taken position next to the main gate.

middleages010.jpg

Overview from the top of the corner tower.

middleages011.jpg

A picture showing the back of the main gate, as well as the big tree and the front yard of the church.

middleages012.jpg

This is one of my personal favorite pictures. I used many Star wars minifigures-parts for the town inhabitants because their torso's are perfect for medieval times.... :wink:

middleages013.jpg

The back of the wall with the passing knights on the bridge in the background.

middleages015.jpg

And to conclude, a picture of the arriving munks.

I hope you like my little town. The entire Brickshelf Folder is here with a lot more pictures than used in this picture heavy thread....

Questions and comments are most welcome.

:classic:

Very nice, simple design. While I love the intricate and detailed castles that a lot of people do, I love these simply, almost Classic-Castle ones as well.

That's a very nice city, I really like it! :thumbup: The houses fit really well together and especially that townhall is a beauty. And that bridge technique is also neat, I didn't know that. It's awesome, great job. I think, if you would add a bit detailed landscaping, it would become even nicer. Perhaps adding some dark grey 1x1 (round) plates to the ground of the city would work, or making the landscape outside the castle a bit rougher with green tiles. Anyhow, it's still very nice.

This is a great layout. i really like your townhall. :thumbup:

Do the outer walls consist of several modular sections?

Are you planning to extend the town?

Great job on this. I really like the variety of the building designs. You did a good job with the town layout. It doesn't seem too crowded and everything seems to work well together. They only improvement you could make that might add to it would be to add some different colored cobbles to your streets (dark grey, tans, browns, and blacks) just to break up all the light grey a little. Very nice MOC. :thumbup:

This is really great, I'd love to own such a town! You've blended the MMV into your own creations quite well, even though they don't quite match with their different color scheme.

I agree with the others though, the ground could use a bit more detailing. You should definitely add some sort of road between the bridge and the front door.

Anyway, there's loads of fun details in your creation already, it's really a pleasure to look at. :wink:

That's a nice medievil city layout. :thumbup::classic:

The townhall is great. I missed your earlier topic.

Wow! Very very nice. The only improvements I'll suggest will be to try to use less bright colours (bright red and blue). Its just that my image of the medieval city is a place that has duller colours. Flags and clothes may be bright colours but roofs and walls probably will be duller colours. Hey its still great as it is and everyone has their own vision, right?

Very cool. The only think I would have done different would be to use other shades of grey in the wall ever so often.

Thanks for the nice comments! I am going to try to answer a few questions next:

Sweet! This looks really good, I love the town hall, how did you do the windows?

Thanks! The windows in the two corner structures you mean?

I made those using 3185.gif this fence, and sticking transparant plates on one side, that way you get a window that lets the light come in but that is hard to see through.

... Perhaps adding some dark grey 1x1 (round) plates to the ground of the city would work, or making the landscape outside the castle a bit rougher with green tiles. Anyhow, it's still very nice.

That is a good idea, I do not have that many dark grey parts, but it's worth Bricklinking some together!

Do the outer walls consist of several modular sections?

Are you planning to extend the town?

The wall is just one big section, although I built the main gate separately as well as an 8 studs long stretch of the wall to do some tests with pathways and the height of it all. Those testpieces got incorporated later on.

I got the idea for this project after seeing your great castle take shape, I copied some of the techniques from the walls (like the small openings in the towers).

I bought a great deal of grey bricks to finish the walls and I used them all, so to extend the layout I have to go back on Bricklink and spend a lot of money... So for the moment I don't think I'll extend the town :wink:

I am also thinking about the next project: a 30's USA-city layout. That'll be great with so many grey bricks.

Very cool. The only think I would have done different would be to use other shades of grey in the wall ever so often.

That is a good idea also, as this is my first medieval layout many things can be improved, thanks!

:classic:

Well done on taking on a massive project like this and coming out with a really nice creation! I like the colour scheme for the village buildings and actually don't think the MMV sets match up with the rest very well, though they definitely add to the bustling cramped look of the inside of the castle walls. The walls themselves look great too. Perhaps if I may suggest some more landscaping on the green plates to lift the whole area somewhat would make it all the more realistic. Well done once again, and great to see the Town Hall creation used from previous topic of yours, it was a great build.