Hello people,

I was looking at Martplaats.nl a dutch sellingsite.

I saw an E motor from P.F.

Wat kind of motor is that and what can it be used for?

This motor normally occurs to be in the education sets and it's internal mechanical resistance is very low. Thus, it's ability to be used as a generator in stead of a normal motor is better than the other PF motors.

For example: a windmill can drive this one much better than it can with a PF-M motor.

I' m sorry, but I don't exactly get what you mean.

If a windmill is driving it, it won't be acting as a motor, but more like the generator in a car.

Je zou een cursus engels kunnen gebruiken geloof ik ;-).

"A windmill can drive this motor" isn't the same as "A windmill can be driven by this motor". The first one says that the power comes from the mill into the motor. The latter case has the motor as a power/movement source, moving the windmill.

All motors can be used as generators if they are spined by an external source. The E-motor is a motor that is not geared down. It has a lot of RPM buy really really really low torque. It can be used as a fast engine (but it lacks strenght and eficiency) or as a generator. Since it doesn't have internal gearing it's suitable to make a windmill or a dinamo that generate energy, because it's really easy to spin. It's almost useless without an special battery (not the rechaergable one but another with an LCD screen) because you can't store the energy.

Sorry for my poor English hope you understand it.

E motor has gearing I think it was something like 7,5, but yeah all motors are also generators.

Edited by Zblj

Hello PhyBuilder,

My English is pretty good, I just didn't get what you ment by it.

In my opinion a motor drives and is not driven.

So this is a motor with a low resistance when propeled externaly.

It is not suitable to use it to drive a truckcrane or a vehicle.

Edited by Dafgek81

Hello PhyBuilder,

My English is pretty good, I just didn't get what you ment by it.

In my opinion a motor drives and is not driven.

So this is a motor with a low resistance when propeled externaly.

It is not suitable to use it to drive a truckcrane or a vehicle.

You could always gear it down, reduce rpm and increase torque. Check out the education sets that it comes in, you also get the blades to create a windmil as others have mentioned

Philo has a lot of information about this (and other Lego motors) here; his summary of the E-Motor is:

"Introduced with LEGO Education Renewable Energy Add-On Set (9688), the strong point of this motor is that it can be easily back-driven and used as a generator. Its high speed may be also useful in some applications. But its efficiency is no better than PF-Medium, and delivered mechanical power is about half."

So as others have said, it's easy to use this motor as a generator. But it's not very good when actually used as a motor to power machines and vehicles.

Hi all,

I've actually found this motor quite useful in my MOCs, particularly my fluid drive bus, as I need all the RPMs I can get from the motor (more RPMs = better fluid coupling performance). The M-motor, whilst it had more torque, could not seem to deliver the same amount of RPM and therefore this resulted in lower overall top speed of the bus, especially in high gear.

With this E-motor connected to the fluid coupling, the 'stall RPM' of the motor at full throttle with the bus stopped is lower than the M-motor (due to the lower torque rating), however once the bus gets going, it is able to reach a higher speed.

More info on my fluid drive bus MOC here (if you're interested): http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=98420

Cheers

Edited by HarmanMotor