Sign in to follow this  
Defaultsound

MOC: BR Class 02 Shunter - First Train MOC - 8 Wide

Hello all,

Today I would like to share my first train MOC designed from scratch.

So for this MOC I wanted to create a train that would be motorized and run off PF. So I decided to stick to something relatively simple and go for a diesel train. First image to come up that I liked was the BR Class 2 Shunter.

I begun designing the train in LDD and ended up finalizing on a design I was particularly happy with. After some tweaks I ordered all the bricks and built it.

Now one thing I wanted to do was to use one small PF motor to power the train. This ended up being a challenge since:

1. Originally the Battery box was at the back of the train, however straight off I realized the balance was off, causing the train to tip.

2. The torque output from the motor was weak. So further modifications had to be made with the gearing.

So I moved the battery box to the front to account for the balance issue, and then geared the motor down to gain more torque. Sounds simple on paper however the working space was very limited

And finally I ended up with this:

14776574197_fee597f420_b.jpg

14963118445_b4de2b6461_b.jpg

14776440740_f85db8bbc0_b.jpg

14963122925_4d247720f2_b.jpg

14776509908_ec7b5729e7_b.jpg

14940121126_507faec303_b.jpg

IR receiver wedged in the back

Video showing how it all works

Video of it running

One thing you may notice is that the scale is way off. This was a mistake on my part for not really using any reference or checking size. I knew I wanted to go 8 studs wide, however I ended up going a bit too far. Yet I still think it turned out pretty nicely.

So that is my first train MOC. Hopefully I will continue to get better at building trains and have another to show in the future. Also if anyone wants the LDD file let me know. Thanks for reading.

Looks good! Only suggestion I have is make it be able to pull cars! It has no couplers!

Other than that Great First MOC

Very nice build. I like the fact that you were bold enough to gear up the shunter to get more speed. Great Work.