nokialover31

X-wing 7140 original is the best

To deside which one is the best you should only take a look a these pic:

rsz_6828298801_bb3efd5398.jpg

As it can be seen on the above posts, that matter is very relative and irrelevant, a real "collector" should get just about every set of a specific line, like minis, UCS or the whole SW stuff, just buy what you like and dont try to push your opinion to others, regarding to children only playing and not being careful with their toys, I wouldn't be too sure, I have seen some kids being very cautious with their belongings, and I also like to buy new lego sets and I also like to feel like a little kid while buying them, I would actually like to be able to play with all my lego sets like I did when i was younger.

Yeah, just look at this comparison.

51koo6p%2Bn0L._SY450_.jpglego-starwar-xwing-starfighter-unbox.jpg

Edit: [/size]

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I find that kind of insulting. Some people just choose to collect the newer versions of sets.

7140 is gray, is dirty from battle, it's not pearl white of new X-wings... 7140 perfectly sets in rebel's hangar, people walk and work around that dirty honorable ship.

Edited by nokialover31

There is no need to be so obsessed with the official designs, in my opinion all sets have substantial flaws that can be easily fixed with some improvements, I especially like to combine elements of old sturdy and smallish models with the sleek shapes and functions of later versions (it's called MODing and MOCing buddy and thats what lego is all about).

Edited by Nom Carver

It depends on how you define "best". If best means as accurate as possible then the newest version is the best one. But I can understand why people like the old sets as well.

But I decide which sets should be in my collection! ;)

I love 7140. It's a great set. I understand what you're saying about 1999-2001 LEGO Star Wars. They've got a great, classic LEGO look. They're always a blast to put together and swoosh around. But I also love the new Star Wars sets! They're really accurate and serve as great display pieces. Both are almost completely different and whether you like one over the other is merely a matter of taste. I don't think calling other members "children" for having a differing opinion is really appropriate. Some people like different things. Such is life.

Sorry kid, imo, the first x-wing is the ugliest, and the last one (2012 version) is the best.

No one will or "just few" will agree with you, if you like the first version, fine.

Edited by irispen

A COLLECTION is more precious if made of VERY FIRST things. Don't u think so? What sense does it have to collect things that you can find on lego.com or in a supermarket of toys's market?

I hope u get what I wanna say, the meaning of my choice.

I grew up with the space themed Lego of the early 80's, to me this was "real" Lego and far more collectible to me personally. All those licenced themes are just things Lego probably needs to do to survive. Now looking back at that little 80's space craft that I cherished so much and the current 10179 sitting on my shelf...i'll take that 10179 over my beloved space craft any day and everyday. Everybody has a different perspective and collecting is a personal choice, no right or wrong.

I like both sets, but for completely different reasons. I like the old one because of, yes, nostalgia. BUT, also had a lot of features to it. such as the rebel cart and especially the little hatch it had in front for Luke's light saber and junk. That's what I like about the older sets, are those little compartments lego put in to put the mini-figures weapons, those were COOL! some of the new sets lack little features like this. Another thing I like about the old sets, is the way they were presented, a lot of 1999-2000 sets had a grey background/hangar looking them going on with it, and I always thought that was neat (That may be just nostalgia talking.) But I like the 2012 also, because of how accurate and sleek it looks, and of course the great minifigures. There is simply no comparison between the two, because they are on different levels, they were created over a decade apart.

Lego sets have and will always grow more and more sophisticated over time. I believe the old sets were play sets for children, the new ones are models for children through adults. Lego's marketing strategy has changed vastly over the years, where a lot more of their buyers are now adults instead of children. So of course the new sets are going to be more accurate, they are competing with other builders like ourselves to produce great models.

You can say the same about the minifigures. Why do you think the minifigures today are so good and accurate? because it is what we want, and Lego knows they will sell more models when they put exclusive minifigures inside them. i don't think I need to elaborate anymore on that. That is just my opinion.

I think the original is the best to minifg scale and the new one is the closest in accurate shape, out of the box.

I only have the middle one and I've MOCed it to a very accurate shape, rebuilt it actually - probably not much of the original left :D But it annoys me that it is too big. One day I might get around tho trying to reproduce the shape accurately at the originals size.

I think the original is the best to minifg scale and the new one is the closest in accurate shape, out of the box.

I only have the middle one and I've MOCed it to a very accurate shape, rebuilt it actually - probably not much of the original left :D But it annoys me that it is too big. One day I might get around tho trying to reproduce the shape accurately at the originals size.

I agree.. I also must say I really like that in older SW set there were often more than just a ship an minfigs.

When I was young I made an X-wing, way before 7140 was released... So this is the FIRST xwing! You must have it if you are a collectioner!!!

Seriously, making a post to ask for people to agree to your own theory about collectioning is as pointless as discussing what is UCS... :look:

I personally get a much better "Lego feeling" from the newer sets and I think what they have been doing over the past few years looks way better than the past. I get my nostalgic feeling from the sets I had as a child; classic space, castle, town and pirates. The early Star Wars line didn't interest me at all. Like most children of my age I had a whole bunch of Kenner Star Wars sets and a lot of Lego, but the two together just somehow didn't seem as good. Looking at the early Star Wars sets today I still think they look bad, but a lot of the sets they have released over the past few years look absolutely superb.

Why did you go for the latest at-st in the other thread?? Ha.. and dont forget to get the first millennium falcon! Lol

Edited by irispen

I'm also slightly confused by the desire to keep the 8038 AT-ST (which probably looks the most accurate from the system scale sets) over the earlier sets when you've stated that the original sets feel more 'Lego' and if it's not a first set then it's not a collector's item and should just be for children to play with.

I'm assuming you'll be looking for 7190 Millennium Falcon and the 7144 Slave 1?

Why did you go for the latest at-st in the other thread?? Ha.. and dont forget to get the first millennium falcon! Lol

I'm also slightly confused by the desire to keep the 8038 AT-ST (which probably looks the most accurate from the system scale sets) over the earlier sets when you've stated that the original sets feel more 'Lego' and if it's not a first set then it's not a collector's item and should just be for children to play with.

I'm assuming you'll be looking for 7190 Millennium Falcon and the 7144 Slave 1?

Well, I have not so much space in rebel's hangar to keep 7190 and 7144 and all the 1999-2001 sets! I must choose some sets more representative, so I choosed:

7140 X-wing

7150 TIE fighter of Darth Vader and Y-wing

7146 TIE fighter

I would like to add:

7134 A-wing

7180 B-wing with rebel control center (it would fit great in a rebel's hangar)

but i wait to see if I will have space on hangar's floor to put them in, otherwise it would be however complete a rebel's hangar with 2 ships and an imperial hangar with 2 ships and a walker (8038 AT-ST) walking on hangar's floor, and 2 brown speeders just parked apart.

Now, the walker, yes I took 8038's walker and not the first, I don't want cwebecca's brown walker, i want imperial walker (gray and superb: 8038).

Ok here my logic falls? Com'on guys, first walker had brown parts!! However, this topic is on X-wing, don't go OT (Off-Topic), remain on OT (Original Trilogy) :laugh:

Edited by nokialover31

Weird,

the reason why that atst is brown, is the exact same reason why the first xwing is grey

Edited by irispen

I agree.. I also must say I really like that in older SW set there were often more than just a ship an minfigs.

The older ones were more sets, where the newer ones a generally a model with some collectable figs.

The only reason I bring it up is due to your reasoning that the original is the best... hence your desire to build the hangar of original sets.

If you look at the piece count of 7140 compared to 9493 it's less than half... and that includes the rebel cart. Maybe that's why we don't get things like the carts anymore... the piece count is already going up... even when we take into account small pieces like Technics pins that's a big jump. The B-Wing definitely missed out with not having a support structure compared to the older one but the B-Wing in general isn't the best set Lego has put out where we can see a definite evolution of the X-Wing through many sets since 1999.

7140 is definitely more of a playset. 'Better' is a term that's open to interpretation. It all depends on what you want from the particular set... Accuracy? Scale? Minifigures? Dioramas? Nostalgia?

Bravo for finding your collecting niche. But why do you have to insult people? Poor form, nokialover.

the reason why that atst is brown, is the exact same reason why the first xwing is grey

Pretty sure the X-Wing is grey

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-65_X-wing_starfighter?file=Battle_of_Yavin.png

(at least it is in the video game Star Wars Rogue Squadron)

I don't know why Lego keep making them white.

The new one does look more accurate but the the 1999 x-wing was my first Lego set so I will never "upgrade it"

And it is still the only one that came in the right color

Bottom line: that's my opinion

Buy witch ever one you prefer!

Even though I don't own it, my personal favorite is the 2004 version. Not only did it have a really good main model, but it also included Yoda, his hut, and an exclusive Luke figure (they really should release another Dagobah Luke soon...).

Pretty sure the X-Wing is grey

I don't know why Lego keep making them white.

This comes up time and time again. X-Wings are white and dirty, which approximates to grey, but Lego's light bluish grey is too dark, so you either have to have something that is too dark or too clean looking. If you compare an X-Wing to something that is actually grey like the Millennium Falcon then you will see that they are significantly lighter.

So, why don't X-wing sets get released in either light tan or very light grey - or a combination? Same for Snow speeders and other rebel craft - there are 3 current shades of LEGO grey, why not use them all? It would make me a lot more interested in buying a second copy of the same vehicle if there was a significant colour upgrade like that.

Edited by ummester

Very light grey would definitely be better than either white or light grey for an X-Wing, but for whatever reason it is not a mainstream colour that they use very often and there are only a handful of parts available in this colour.