1. 1. How do you rate this exclusive?

• The opposite of good
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Awesome! Yay!

gallery_6705_157_3160.png

14637847519_373ea5f9a1_z.jpg

Ah, Unikitty. She's one of the most popular (if not the most popular) character from The Lego Movie. How can you not love her? She's the embodiment of everything that makes you happy and go "d'aw". And with cat videos and My Little Pony memes dominating the internet right now, it's obvious why a character like her is so popular. Therefore, it makes sense that TLG chose her as one of the SDCC exclusives for this year, even though The Lego Movie has nothing to do with comics (but let's face it, Comic Con doesn't have much to do with comics anymore at this point). I was lucky enough to win one of them while I was at Comic Con (after waiting in line for over 2 hours!), so I thought I'd do a little review of it. Was it worth the wait for me? Should you spend hundreds of dollars on eBay to get it? Read on to find out!

WARNING: This review contains extreme cuteness and may cause large amounts of jealousy. :tongue:

14871089614_4c70bff350_o.jpg

Set Number: SDCC040 (on Brickset)

Name: Unikitty

Theme: The Lego Movie

Pieces: 16

Year of Release: 2014

Availability: Given away at SDCC 2014 on Sunday, July 27 at 12:30 pm.

The Package

When I heard that Unikitty would be one of the exclusive minifigs to be given away at SDCC, I wondered what kind of package she would come in, considering her odd shape. Turns out that she comes in the same clear plastic clam shell as the other exclusive figs from this and last year. However, I was surprised to find that the sides are reversed on this one so that the figure is on the back. The front of the card features some very colorful artwork depicting Cheerykitty frolicking through an orange world of clouds, stars, and rainbows. On the bottom, in tthe left corner it has the "SDCC Exclusive" logo, and in the right corner it tells you that this set includes both the Cutesykitty and Cheerykitty expressions.

14821407781_d7e2bed30c_z.jpg

When you look on the back of the package, you can see why they chose to have the figure on the back. Unikitty's parts are stuffed inside a polybag and crammed into the little bubble that usually houses a minifig. It looks very unaesthetic and almost makes you feel bad for Unikitty. :cry_sad:

14824503845_557935b155_z.jpg

Once you free it from the crammed bubble, this is what the bag with all the parts looks like. You can already tell that there are two heads included rather than just one double-sided one as the official press release for this set suggested. This is good news in my opinion as it would have looked strange if Unikitty had faces on both sides of her head.

14844345493_4a1b488c58_z.jpg

The inside of the folded cardboard insert does not feature a picture of the included figure like it does in the other three exclusive giveaways this year. Instead, it has the instructions for how to build Unikitty. The build is no different from that in all the other Lego Movie sets, except you have to build an extra face. There are no part call-outs, but in such a small build, they are hardly needed. One thing that I found odd, however, is that the stud used for Unikitty's neck looks like it is supposed to be transparent in the instructions. It's just a minor mistake, but curious nonetheless.

14801490286_74b9e9b5bc_z.jpg

The Completed Set

After just a few seconds of building, the build is already done. Yay! :laugh: The first thing that comes to mind is: Wow, this must be the most adorable thing I've ever seen. Regular Unikitty was already pretty cute, but those big anime eyes take it a whole step further. The d'aw-levels are off the charts! :wub: This is easily my favorite version of her, although the Cheerykitty face is great too.

In order to change her from Cutesykitty to Cheerykitty you have to switch out the face brick and eyebrow plate. But be careful, there are no spare parts, so if you loose one, you're out of luck, although it is understandable that they didn't include any, considering how little space there was inside the package.

14637853359_4b08584fe6_z.jpg

When you compare the Unikitty from the Cloud Cuckoo Palace set (left) to these two versions, you will see that these are much more detailed. They have eyebrows printed on the top plate and wrinkles around the nose and eyes which make them so much more expressive. If the upcoming Unikitty figures that were revealed at SDCC are any indication, the Unikitties in future sets will have the same amount of detailed face printing and perhaps even alternate expressions as well.

14824512705_1bbba42839_z.jpg

Ratings

Design: 5/5 - The new faces for Unikitty are great! They are so detailed and cute, it's impossible not to love them. It was very generous of them to include not one, but two new faces. It definitely makes up for the fact that, aside from the face prints, the fig is exactly the same as the regular version.

Build: 3/5 - There really was not much to build, but that was to be expected. There are no surprises; it's just like building any other Unikitty.

Parts: 5/5 - Unikitty is always a great source of parts. Lots of pieces in rare colors, plus that unique tail.

Packaging: 3/5 - The clam shell package was not designed for brick-built characters, and it shows. The way the parts bag was crammed inside the bubble and how they reversed the front and back is really odd. I think it would have been better if they would have made a new type of package for this fig, but I guess I must commend them for making this one work.

Overall: 5/5 - This is a great fig! Both Cutesykitty and Cheerykitty are better than any previous version of the Princess of Cloud Cuckoo Land and I am glad that I got it. However, I definitely wouldn't pay the ridiculous aftermarket prices for it. I feel sorry for the people who stood in line for hours and didn't get it, but since you can already get a similar version of her in an affordable set, it wont be much of a loss for most people.

That's it for this review. I guess there is only one question left to answer:

14824517615_fb04d1cca4_z.jpg

And no, she's not for sale/trade! She's all mine! :devil_laugh:

Nice Review! I think this easily the best representation of Unikitty, IMO, with the glistening huge eyes. I won't be tracking this one down seeing as I can have a similar one for cheaper from the Cloud Cuckoo Land set, but this is still a very nice print to have. :wub:

Nice Review! I think this easily the best representation of Unikitty, IMO, with the glistening huge eyes. I won't be tracking this one down seeing as I can have a similar one for cheaper from the Cloud Cuckoo Land set, but this is still a very nice print to have. :wub:

Thanks! Yes, this version of her is awesome. I was going to just keep it inside the clam shell and store it away for safekeeping, but I loved it so much that I ended up replacing the Cloud Cuckoo Palace version on my TLM shelf with this one. :grin_wub:

This is a great review!

I ordered one off eBay for the relatively affordable price of $80. I haven't opened it yet—I'm telling myself that I won't open it until the price of opened ones starts to approach what I paid for it MISB, but all things considered I'll probably break down and open it long before then. After all, I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it because she's my favorite! :wub: