Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #105: Eternal Reaper

A chill is sent down Karie's spine as she groggily wakes up, missing whoever was at the door.

"What... who's there? If it's the captain tell him it can wait five minutes..."

Karie nods back to sleep until the ruckus walks her up.

"Ugh. Just so everyone knows, I'm cranky without my sleep. Who was knocking?"

Masson hurriedly gets into his clothes.

Vcmh0ri.png

"None other than The Regret... He wants us to report to the deck. Get dressed quick, ma cherie."

Jeaux grabs his briefcase and slings the handcannon around his shoulder as he exits the room, following Erdathcath up to the top deck.

Boomingham sips some mead to calm his nerves. "What was that? Some sort of sea crab? The Regret is a sea crab? I thought he was, you know, human or elf or something along those lines. Giant sea crab... wonder if that's worse or better." Boomingham follows behind Erdy.

Em throws himself into action, eyes wide, shoulders tense. He hastily squeezes into his jerkin before clicking his armour into place. He checks his bow, frowning. "Punii," he calls, falling to one knee and placing his arm towards the ground. "You need a ride? Climb aboard."

Edited by Emjajoas

Karie groggily gets up and begins to get dressed.

"Typical."

She decides not to drink anything until she gets a proper view of whatever the Regret wanted them to see. She follows the others sleepily.

qi64g.png

"Boomingham, that's what *wheeze* an adult Progg looks like - The regret is a Progg."

Punii notices Em's outstretched arm.

"Yes, please." Punii scurries up Em's arm, perching on his shoulder.

Masson slips his hood on, completing his Syndicate ensemble.

eVfSkBk.png

"Let's go."

In their rush to report to the top deck, the party bumps into a frenzied Armstrong.

ixvKNNds.png

"He appeared to me too. I'll check the bottom deck, you folks get top!"

The two groups part with a single, collective nod, the heroes clomping up the wooden steps to the top of the ship. There, The Regret stands, staring into the night sky. He turns to face the heroes.

KsPAUgc.png

S8jrq.png

"It's a lovely night, isn't it? Look towards the horizon, heroes."

The party looks where The Regret's bony claw was pointing.

6wlgm7U.png

A small fleet of ships approach the Lonely Island.

S8jrq.png

"I have many more guests coming to the Citadel than simply you, heroes. Though, I must confess, you are coming into my territory with the noblest of intenions, out of all of these people. Your goal is to kill me, isn't it? Futile, but endearing nonetheless. The rest? Just here to loot and raid whatever wonderful treasure lie inside my Citadel. A minority of them know me by name - most see me simply as a dragon, guarding his horde. But nonetheless, I'm afraid none of you are allowed to enter my Citadel.

Tell me, heroes, have you ever heard of an item called the Lifespark? It's a raging inferno, containg primal, identity-less souls... The essence of life. It's an artifact that happens to be in my possession. I'm sure you've heard of the Ameobosses, have you not? They were not born into this world. They were created, by yours truly, from the Lifespark. By the night's end, I will consume each and every ember of the Lifespark, and I will have the power to erase the human plague from Olegaia - forever.

But we're getting slightly off topic here, because as it turns out, the subject of Ameobosses is very much pertinent. I was the one who offed the beasts. They obeyed me absolutely even as I lined them up for their deaths. And I had my legions distribute them to coasts across Olegaia, in order to alert humankind of their demise. The corpses set the rumors of treasures ablaze. I have opened the floodgates, heroes, and now humans pour in worldwide to claim the treasures that lurk in the Citadel.

But don't think I forgot the recipe to make the Ameobosses. The opposite, really."

At that moment, the waters below the excelsus begin to bubble and churn. Waves form, making the boat rock back and forth. A geyser of water blasts outwards, and carries with it a horrible, scaly leviathan...

FQLTuQM.png

An Ameoboss!

It was a horrible creature, spindly arms contorlling massive waves. It's claws were sharp and gleaming, seemingly made of ice. It's two tusks gnaw on air, the beast billowing out a ear splitting roar. It towered over the heroes, casting a formidable shadow.

XgCwV0u.png

"ROOOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!"

S8jrq.png

"This time around, I made thirteen. One, as a welcoming gift to some of the more tenacious gnats that have opposed me. The other twelve are setting up a perimeter around my island as we speak. Soon, the last of the Treasure Hunter ships will pour in, and the Ameobosses will rise from the abyss and make a nigh impenetrable barrier. Any ship that tries to escape will be promptly crushed and sunk.

So you see, heroes? There is no escape. You, and the thousands of other humans here in pursuit of riches are trapped. You're in my world now, Heroicans, and there is no way out. You're now what you should've been all those years ago... caged animals."

How will the party respond?

Edited by Endgame

Em grits his teeth, nearly cracking them. " A cornered rat's bite is the strongest. Who needs a way out? I came here to kill," he mutters, readying his bow-- before cursing under his breath. "That damn thing's made of water, isn't it? This godsdamn Aquabow..."

Caged animals? Karie's mind goes to a dark crevice of her mind, a place she wished it didn't go. She clears the thought from her mind before hearing Em's remark. She couldn't show weakness in front of this monstrosity, despite it being the largest creature she'd ever seen.

"Do you need a weapon? Take Doppelgänger, I'll be alright without it."

She holds out her longsword to the warden.

"This is the Regret?" Boomingham sizes up his foe. "Look, I may have forgot a thing or two about strategizing, but inviting a large army to your doorstep isn't the soundest plan, chappo. And you should never kill your soldiers. Your duty is sort of the opposite if that. So, yes, we'll take you down and kill you and get the treasure and then I'll deal with more pressing matters."

"Why invite us to your citadel and then deny us entrance? You continue to taunt Heroica Hall and ask for someone to challenge you, but when that challenge is answered you send a puppet instead. I have to say, I find your behavior quite puzzling."

Em slings his bow over his shoulder angrily, being careful not to rattle Punii.

He wraps a hand around Doppelgänger, accepting the sword. "Thank you," he nods through clenched teeth. "Appreciate the backup."

Erdathcath barely raises an eyebrow at the sight of what would seem intimidating to many others, after her many quests against the Regret, and his abilities, this new monster showed no impressiveness to her.

"Really? Another monster? Regret, I must say, it is truly disappointing. You continuously hope to intimidate myself and my companions with creatures of large size. Let me remind you of the past enemies we have faced, and destroyed. Iris, 'invincible octopus' five minutes later no one remembered her, 'the Bookshelf-like creatures' lasted about 5 seconds, even your massive 'Giant' lasted only a short while against myself and my companions. What could you possibly hope to achieve by throwing this typical monster into our faces? As for the large amount of people coming here to loot and steal all the treasure, what does that matter to me? If they get in my way of killing you, they will die along the way, even if I do not kill them, I can guarantee you won't let them take anything of value from you, so why should I care?"

Seeing Boomingham and Jeaux puzzled by the Regret's tactics, she turns to them,

"Sadly, this is quite typical of him. He truly believes that by taunting us and throwing monsters at us will enable him to become more powerful, or something. I have faced many of his 'strongest' minions, each fell quickly with no looking back, most barely were even bothered by them. The same shall be repeated with this toy of his once again."

Em grits his teeth, nearly cracking them. " A cornered rat's bite is the strongest. Who needs a way out? I came here to kill," he mutters, readying his bow-- before cursing under his breath. "That damn thing's made of water, isn't it? This godsdamn Aquabow..."

The Ameoboss leans down and makes itself nearly eye level with Em. Em notices with disgust that, although it once appeared the beast had but one ye, it had dozens - all of them concealed under a blue gel. They writhe for a moment before focusing on Em. The beast hisses, Em hearing it speak through his ability as a Warden.

XgCwV0u.png

<Kill or be killed. That is how Master's realm works.>

"Do you need a weapon? Take Doppelgänger, I'll be alright without it."

S8jrq.png

"So it was you who took down Doppel. Intriguing. I paid a visit to the lab and found the workers dead and the Devil gone. It was about a week after I had paid a visit to the apartment of one purple-clad Paragon."

Masson is taken aback, stammering out a reply.

eVfSkBk.png

"Wh-what...?"

"This is the Regret?" Boomingham sizes up his foe. "Look, I may have forgot a thing or two about strategizing, but inviting a large army to your doorstep isn't the soundest plan, chappo. And you should never kill your soldiers. Your duty is sort of the opposite if that. So, yes, we'll take you down and kill you and get the treasure and then I'll deal with more pressing matters."

S8jrq.png

"I wouldn't call them an army... More like... Cattle, shall I put it, for now.

My title is not General. I created most of my own followers, and they were brought into this world for ther sole purpose of obeying me. Those who I didn't create, I tore apart and rebuilt as I saw fit. I am their Master, not their General, and I will do whatever I damn well please with my servants."

"Why invite us to your citadel and then deny us entrance? You continue to taunt Heroica Hall and ask for someone to challenge you, but when that challenge is answered you send a puppet instead. I have to say, I find your behavior quite puzzling."

S8jrq.png

"You may consider my behavior illogical, Jeaux, but it'd be equally illogical for me to tilt my hand, wouldn't it? I am beyond the point of sending puppets at you for the purpose of mere entertainment, really. What this Ameoboss is intended to do, well, I think that's for you to figure out. I said it was a welcoming gift. Nothing more, nothing less."

Erdathcath barely raises an eyebrow at the sight of what would seem intimidating to many others, after her many quests against the Regret, and his abilities, this new monster showed no impressiveness to her.

"Really? Another monster? Regret, I must say, it is truly disappointing. You continuously hope to intimidate myself and my companions with creatures of large size. Let me remind you of the past enemies we have faced, and destroyed. Iris, 'invincible octopus' five minutes later no one remembered her, 'the Bookshelf-like creatures' lasted about 5 seconds, even your massive 'Giant' lasted only a short while against myself and my companions. What could you possibly hope to achieve by throwing this typical monster into our faces? As for the large amount of people coming here to loot and steal all the treasure, what does that matter to me? If they get in my way of killing you, they will die along the way, even if I do not kill them, I can guarantee you won't let them take anything of value from you, so why should I care?"

Seeing Boomingham and Jeaux puzzled by the Regret's tactics, she turns to them,

"Sadly, this is quite typical of him. He truly believes that by taunting us and throwing monsters at us will enable him to become more powerful, or something. I have faced many of his 'strongest' minions, each fell quickly with no looking back, most barely were even bothered by them. The same shall be repeated with this toy of his once again."

S8jrq.png

"You lack vision, Erdathcath. What you see ahead of you is only the narrowsest of possibilities, and seem to be delibrately ignorant of the bigger picture.

I am shooting for the complete genocide of a species, Erdathcath. I do not waste time. I do not waste resources on six or so measly humans if I lacked a reason. Perhaps the reason i'm so dismissive of you Heroicans is not that I consider you without use, but that you fail to realize that you are being used - even now. You're another tool in my arsenal, Erdathcath. I used you to dispose of Iris, and I can still detect the misery you felt after killing "poor Monolith." You mask your sadness and fear with bravado, druid.

It's odd, really. Over the course of our numerous encounters, I have watched you go from a docile sapling to bloodthirsty Druid, always eager for a battle. You want to spill my blood, Erdathcath. You want to murder me, brutally. I never saw such a passion for ending another life in you, back in the Colony. Do you think that's not intentional on my part?"

Edited by Endgame

<Kill or be killed. That is how Master's realm works.>

Em's frown breaks into a full-on snarl. "My choice is clear," he growls. He was in no mood to lolligag, especially if they were still at sea.

Turning towards the Regret, he fires a malicious glare filled with bloodlust-- and fear. "Don't you know it's rude to play with your food, Regret? Let's get this sick joke over with."

"No, no you are wrong! I fight only for what is just and good. And you deserve your death for everything you have done to your own creations creations, and the proggs. You have murdered people who were innocent, they did not deserve what you threw at them, and in some cases, they were able to recover from your worse nightmares, still, you continue on torturing others simply because you feel like it, I believe my actions and wish to kill you is definitely warranted."

S8jrq.png

"So it was you who took down Doppel. Intriguing. I paid a visit to the lab and found the workers dead and the Devil gone. It was about a week after I had paid a visit to the apartment of one purple-clad Paragon."

Masson is taken aback, stammering out a reply.

eVfSkBk.png

"Wh-what...?"

Karie cringes.

Gods, so help me, Octavyn...

"Masson, we can talk about this after. Right now we have more important things to deal with!"

eVfSkBk.png

"What? You know what he's talking about...? Karie..."

Masson's eyes look downcast, and his hand grasps his blade.

Em's frown breaks into a full-on snarl. "My choice is clear," he growls. He was in no mood to lolligag, especially if they were still at sea.

Turning towards the Regret, he fires a malicious glare filled with bloodlust-- and fear. "Don't you know it's rude to play with your food, Regret? Let's get this sick joke over with."

S8jrq.png

"You consider yourselves food? How endearing."

QM Note: I'll allow you folks a bit more prep time.

"No, no you are wrong! I fight only for what is just and good. And you deserve your death for everything you have done to your own creations creations, and the proggs. You have murdered people who were innocent, they did not deserve what you threw at them, and in some cases, they were able to recover from your worse nightmares, still, you continue on torturing others simply because you feel like it, I believe my actions and wish to kill you is definitely warranted."

S8jrq.png

"But you forget I've watched your kind for centuries. I've observed and judged humans for more than a millennium. I've passed my judgement, and I dare say it is more valid than yours. You act on impulse, and disgust. You fear that I'll destroy you and your kind. I had hope for humanity, once upon a time. That hope is gone."

Edited by Endgame

"Masson, I need you to listen to me. I asked Octavyn to tell you about the incident. I... I didn't want it to ruin our night at the opera. We can discuss this after, though! Masson, please, trust me."

Karie felt guilt for not letting Masson know sooner. She then realized he didn't know. She hoped he'd deal with it rationally.

"Masson, I need you to listen to me. I asked Octavyn to tell you about the incident. I... I didn't want it to ruin our night at the opera. We can discuss this after, though! Masson, please, trust me."

Karie felt guilt for not letting Masson know sooner. She then realized he didn't know. She hoped he'd deal with it rationally.

eVfSkBk.png

"...I trust you. Just... As soon as we get out of this, we're sitting down and we have to talk about whatever the hell is going on. Fair?"

Karie nods her head in approval.

OOC: Jeaux should have the Ruby in my inventory. I don't know how much it'll help him this fight, but... :tongue:

Edited by Kintobor

Em chugs back a Nostrum, his focus on the Amoeboss. He looks the creature straight in the cold, unblinking eyes, his visage still twisted into the feral snarl.

Control. Control. Control.

He twitches slightly, gripping his shield tighter.

Why was he so angry? So mad?

What did he have to fear? Certainly not his own death. The Amoeboss, perhaps? The Regret was not currently a threat. The Amoeboss was large, but could be dealt with. The ship had armaments-- perhaps...? No. They couldn't work the cannons without the crew.

For now, it seemed as though the Heroes were on their own.

His focus thins to that of a knifepoint-- cold and sharp. His visage relaxes slightly, though he still frowns.

You're not mad.

"Punii," he whispers, remembering about the small Progg on his shoulder. "Are you alright?"

Fed up with what she determined to be simple nonsense coming from the Regret, Erdathcath consumes a smelling salts, preparing herself for the impending battle. Though never really allying herself with any 'gods' or higher beings, she begs for their help to strengthen her in the ensuing battle.

qi64g.png

"Scared..." Punii rasps. "And to think, there is a dozen more *cough* of these... things...

This will be the first time I've *wheeze* fought in the front lines, and it's against... that..."