Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #105: Eternal Reaper

"If I'm not mistaken we have three healers aboard, and more than enough room for a fight..." He trails off, muttering some, but only briefly. "Guess this'll be a long wait." Johon says, with a partial frown.

"Indeed we do have three healers, but I believe there should be better things for us to do, rather than fighting." Erdathcath tries to rest in the time that she can.

OoC: Correct stats.

BoominghamMock2.jpg Lord Lawrence Boomingham (Zepher)

Level 31 Paladin *Immune to Darkness-, Fire-elemental; Immune to Fragile, Sleep, Weakened, and Blindness* *Pierces SP From Front Row* *SP Ignored From Back Row*

Power: 50

Power Bonus: 5

Defense: 10

Health: 54/54

Ether: 30/30

Gold: 760

Equipment: Scupperer (WP: 14; Darkness-, Fire-elemental; inflicts Bleeding (-5) and Poisoned (-10); great sword) Round Metal Shield (SP: 7), Tome of Affluence (+10 Gold if equipped for the entirety of a battle; Immune to Fragile, Sleep, Weakened, and Blindness; Immune to Darkness-, Fire-elemental; accessory), Counterstrike Gloves, Mopag Helm (SP: 3; headwear), Chains of the Pongcanis Chief (Hero Pierces SP if fighting from Front, Enemies ignore SP if hero fights from the back row, cannot be removed in battle)*Pseudo's Blessing (+4 Power; not an artifact)*

Inventory: Frozen Saber (WP: 9; Light-, Ice-elemental; inflicts Stunned; great sword), Lullaby Wand (WP:6, Inflicts Sleeping Effect), Sabre (WP:6, Longsword), Darksteel Greatsword (WP: 10, Blinded Effect, Greatsword)

• Hood of Belthazar Bluehood (Power +4; Ether -6; headwear) Cloak of Blood Magick (+5 ether, attacks made with darkness magic weaken the enemy, bodywear suitable for Mages, Necromancers, Chi Monks)

• Garnet, Sapphire, Amethyst

• Scroll of Recklessness (Encouraged and Fragile; costs 5 Ether; 50/50 chance), Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Fragility, Scroll of Sealing,

• Fire Brandy (Encouraged, Immune to Ice), Fireball Whiskey (Immunity to Fire One Battle OR 20 Fire Damage All Enemies), Emerald Lamp of Summoning, Hamantasch (Lucky, Blessed), 4x Mead, x2 Nostrum, Ambrosia, Smelling Salts, Hair of the Dog

• Bedroll

Vcmh0ri.png

"Boomingham. If we keep just pantomiming forever, we're both going to be dead before we even get to The Regret's front door. At one point we're going to start having to use actual communications, instead of just contemptful looks at each other. I bear no ill will towards you, Boomingham, although I'm sure you don't feel the same."

"Damn shame you destroyed that device of your's, or else you could just brainwash me into liking you, right?" Boomingham chuckles. "Good to see you again, Masson. Wasn't afraid you wouldn't be man enough to say hello. So, hello."

During the walk to the ship, Boomingham keeps his distance from the purple clad man and his lover.

Climbing on board, Boomingham looks around warily. He is not one for boat travel. He listens vaguely to the captain talk about magic and fast ships or something. The ship hurtles into motion, and Boomingham stumbles, looking around, hoping no one saw it. His stomach does a flip and then shortly afterwards starts to rumble. The captain conducts the heroes inside, and Boomingham is all too happy to comply.

Inside, the Captain introduces himself, and the cook and the first mate do the same.

ixvKNNds.png

"Now then, some formal introductions. Captain Armstrong, former fisherman, former army man, current Captain hauling you lot across the sea for the next three weeks. Bruce?"

Er9SFkx.png

"Welcomin' guests with soup, Perdue? Ain't that just the definition of bland? Hah! Any of you boys and girls need some liquor? We have some onboard, if ya want it."

ixvKNNds.png

"Booze aside, who would you folks be? I'm only familiar with Erdathcath.

Any questions about your arrangements, or how we're running this vessel, be sure to ask now."

"I'm Lord Lawrence Boomingham, Lord of the Lost Kingdom-" Boomingham's stomach growls- "and some other stuff. I've got a whole long list of titles. I'll tell you them later. Anyway, it's a pleasure: Bruce, Steven. I'm an ex-army man myself. Best thing you can do: protect other people. As for booze, I'll have whatever you've got strongest and I'll bet you I can drink you under a rug." Boomingham's mind feels all fuzzy from the quick speed and angry tummy and his words don't quite fit together. He licks his lips.

Er9SFkx.png

"Meh, any mention of demons and everyone goes nuts. We'll probably start cannibilizing eachother halfway through, hah hah."

Armstrong shoots Bruce a look that says one thing very clearly: His humor was currently not very much appreciated.

Boomingham laughs heartily. "That's the way it is, isn't it? Hel, I want some of these chaps dead already and I don't even know what sort of demon we're after."

Er9SFkx.png

"Right you are! And if the grapevine ain't lyin', people have gotten it into their heads that the island has some sort of huge treasure. People worldwide are heading to that island now to claim the treasure."

qi64g.png

"Does that strike anyone *wheeze* else as... convenient?"

Boomingham glances at the little wheezing figure. "You alright, little fellow?" He turns to the others. "Is that what we're after? Treasure? All the Sand Queen said was that we're after some chap with a long list of miserable titles, and no one has really bothered to fill me in. Is this Regret a man we should be worried about? You all seem an awful lot more in the know than I do."

Bruce rolls a bottle of brandy across the table towards Boomingham.

Er9SFkx.png

"I like the way you think, Boomingham. I'd join you, but we have a busy few weeks ahead of us, and hangovers on a rocking ship is like something straight outta hell. Maybe just a little sip for now, eh?"

Bruce pulls out his own bottle and begins drinking along with Lawrence.

qi64g.png

"No, the *wheeze* wheezing is, uh, normal for me. I'm a *cough* runt, I guess, and... I was kind of burn with half a lung. It's not too *wheeze* pleasant.

No, the treasure isn't our goal. I don't even know if it's *cough* real. The Regret... He used to be a slave to humans, hundreds of years ago. He... Got in a mining accident one *cough* dead, and he was on the border of starbing. He used some magic he stole from his slavemasters to *wheeze* mutilate his soul, making himself immortal, powerful... *wheeze* But it also drove him mad.

He's been consumed by hate now, and he's *wheeze* genocidal.He has this artifact called the Lifespark, I guess. And he wants to *wheeze* devour its power and wipe out humanity. He's insane, Boomingham.

He's... I think you've gotten a *wheeze* feeling of what type of monster he is."

Edited by Endgame

"Sounds like a bad chap. I'm sure our resident bad chap and he will get along famously. No worries, though, little fellow. We'll take him down." Boomingham takes a sip from the brandy. "I must say I admire you a Hel of a lot, what with the bad lung and all. If I had a bad lung I'd probably sit around and let other people fight my battles, but here you are! You're a progg, right? I think I ran into some other proggs a year or so back."

Vcmh0ri.png

"Boomingham, I never intended to harm anybody... Though I'm sure my words are falling on deaf ears right now, eh?"

qi64g.png

"Yeah, I'm a Progg... And a really, really *wheeze* puny one. I guess that's why I was named Punii.

The lung is usually fine, besides some *cough* wheezing. I've lived with it for most of my life."

"Sounds like a bad chap. I'm sure our resident bad chap and he will get along famously. No worries, though, little fellow. We'll take him down." Boomingham takes a sip from the brandy. "I must say I admire you a Hel of a lot, what with the bad lung and all. If I had a bad lung I'd probably sit around and let other people fight my battles, but here you are! You're a progg, right? I think I ran into some other proggs a year or so back."

Karie hadn't spoken to Lawrence since the quest first began. She drily sternly to the paladin, a glint of seriousness in her eyes.

"Clearly you're talking about yourself if this is how you're going to act, Lawrence."

Boomingham smiles coldly. "Actions speak louder than words, my dearest. I have yet to raise a sword against your husband. I have done him no harm, yet his actions of harm still stand."

Vcmh0ri.png

"..."

Armstrong stands up.

ixvKNNds.png

"I think now is a good time to draw this meeting to a close. Heroes, your quarters are through the door and on the left. Make yourselves at home as much megablocks you possibly can - the cots aren't exactly comfy. And, Johon? I wasn't alerted of your presence on this quest until we met eachother on the dock, so unfortunately you don't have a cot. You're going to have to make due with a bed roll for the time being."

The heroes depart for their room, and after putting down their stuff, set about to explroing the ship...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Twenty One Days Later...~

Days pass silently, one by one. The heroes adjust to mellow life on a ship, taking to activites such a fishing and tending to the ship. With the help of the Swift Sail it make sit across the seas of Olegaia in record time. Despite the tranquility of the voyage, tension and fear gnaw at the hearts and minds of every hero. Weeks pass, the air surrounding the ship growing bitter and cold as they draw closer and closer to The Regret's residence. The day before arrival, they retire to their quarters, the end of the boat trip in sight...

jnvGjkQ.png

Masson and Punii had already turned into for the night, both half asleep. Two cots were pushed together, Masson laying down on one half of the conjoined bed, and Punii is curled up on a carpet on the floor.

qi64g.png

"Ohhhh... It's *wheeze* just you... Sorrrryy, I was kinda *yawn* asleep.."

P9lh2kM.png

"...Hello." Masson mumbles in a half asleep stupor.

It was midnight almost, and most of the crew was already asleep as well.

Edited by Endgame

Boomingham smiles merrily as he enters the room. As is his nightly tradition, he gives Masson a dastardly little wink.

He reserves his real smile for Punii, who has, over the three weeks, proven himself to be a good friend. The two hadn't talked much about either of their pasts, but had sat next to each other for more than one meal, and had enjoyed fishing quietly from time to time. Boomingham finds the little fellow to be quite optimistic, and even Barty has taken a quiet, distant affection to him, though he still calls him a "demon". Boomingham can't help but think of Pseudo when he thinks of the little guy - both someone who needs protection, and someone who is willing and ready to protect others. (Hope that's okay... :grin: )

Boomingham finds his own cot, uncorks a bottle of brandy and takes out a few glasses he has hidden under his bed.

"Night cap, anyone?"

Em enters the room, removing his jerkin. He tosses it onto his cot. His armour was already piled beside his resting place; he had taken to not wearing the armour on the ship, lest he fall in the water and drown from its weight-- not that he could swim well without it, either.

He rubs his eyes. It had been a long three weeks. The crew were friendly enough, but everywhere he turned, there they were. It tired him out. He needed some time to himself. He wouldn't get any-- not for a while, at least-- but it bothered him. He needed to think-- or rather, to stop thinking.

"Nearly there," he sighs, rubbing his temples.

His head was pounding. His nerves were getting the better of him. The ship made him uncomfortable, and their destination did nothing to help. He was anxious to land, anxious to fix his mistakes, anxious to kill every last oculoid that threatened the proggs.

He was anxious to fight. The thought of the battle, the war, sent shivers down his spine and metamorphosed the butterflies in his stomach.

"If you're offering, Boomingham, I could use a drink."

Edited by Emjajoas

Erdathcath notices Boomingham walking around, over the past 3 weeks sailing on the ship, she had gotten to know the rest of the fellow Questers quite well, learning strengths and weakness, and as well as what she could expect during this quest of which she was leading the party. 'Leading' she thought to herself. The very thought made her worried. The lives of those around her depended on her, it was her job to lead her men to victory, but how could she? The Regret was their target, and though she longed for the day that he would die, until then, the pressure of the entire quest was upon her. Sweat breaks out on her forehead,, a sweet, sticky, sappy sweat. Wiping it away with her arm, she prepares herself for bed, where nightmares of the future quest would no doubt plague her for hours on end. Suddenly her mind breaks open upon hearing Boomingham offering a night cap, jumping out of her thoughts, she replies,

"No thank you Boomingham, I do not believe a night cap would fit very well upon my head. Thank you anyway."

With that out of the way, Erdathcath walks over to her bed and lays down.

Boomingham pours himself a drink, and then pours one for this friend. The trip had been long - lots on everyone's minds, apparently, and though the Regret had seldom been the topic of conversation Boomingham knows he is casting a shadow on the group, though he still couldn't figure out exactly why. This had led to much interior reflection, and little external life beyond the simple functional conversation. Boomingham knows Erdy now (well enough at least to use that nickname) and he likes her well enough, even with her odd sense of humor. But it is Em who takes him up on his offer. Over the last few weeks Em and he had talked vaguely of their travels, but the conversations had been mostly minimal. Em barely talked under normal circumstances.

"Cheers." Boomingham takes a sip of his drink. "Warms you right on up, doesn't it? You prepared for landfall? I know I, for one, am glad to get off this wretched boat. Might be able to keep a meal in me for more than an hour or two. Though from what I gather we won't be greeted with one."

"I have to decline your offer as well. I've had enough exposure to liquids for the moment." Jeaux was wiping down some of his metal joints, the salty spray from the ocean had been causing a light coating of rust to build through-out the voyage and he wanted to make sure it would not impair his ability to fight if necessary once the ship docked tomorrow.

Boomingham nods to the automaton. Of all of his companions, he was most confused by him, and had the least contact. With the little understanding of machinery that Boomingham possesses the automaton is an enigma, and the proper way to interact with it is a mystery. Furthermore, Boomingham remembers vaguely that Masson had an affinity for such things, and he cannot get out of his mind (though he does not believe it to be strictly true) that perhaps this "hero" is as much a product of Masson's creation as the rearranged minds of his victims. It makes sense, of course, that a man willing to create emotion in a machine would be willing to tamper with the minds of men.

"Cheers." Boomingham takes a sip of his drink. "Warms you right on up, doesn't it? You prepared for landfall? I know I, for one, am glad to get off this wretched boat. Might be able to keep a meal in me for more than an hour or two. Though from what I gather we won't be greeted with one."

Em raises his glass towards Boomingham. "Cheers to landfall," he nods, gulping down a swig of the alcohol.

"Prepared..?" he repeats, thinking to himself for a moment. "I don't think I'm ready for what we're going to face," he answers carefully, lowering his voice. He frowns. "But I'm looking forward to it nonetheless. Are you... ready?"

Johon had had little sleep for the three weeks, his dreams turned to nightmares, the Regret toying with his mind. He looks out of the windows of the ship, finally seeing the island. He had been waiting for this moment, but also dreading it. Listening to the other members talk, Johon decides to stay silent, simply nodding to confirm he was prepared for this.

Masson fails to notice Boomingham's gesture, his face half-buried in a pillow.

qi64g.png

"Boomingham, can I have the *wheeze* cap? I'll use it as a *cough* pillow."

QM Note: I'll move this along when everyone checks in.

Karie makes her way to her cot and begins to take off her sweater, laying it at her feet. She makes sure to keep her shirt on. As she lies down she thinks back to three weeks of failing to interact with anyone in any real manner besides Masson. Lawrence still put her off, never really looking her in the eye when they ran into each other. She looks about for Baaffy, wondering where she ran off to.

"So, perhaps we should at least mention why we're here? Why everyone wants the Regret dead, besides him being a prick?"

She'd only seen him once, at the hall, and there he seemed intimidating enough. She was more intent on killing Oculoids, but if killing the Regret would end this, so be it. She lingers on Doppel, and Skrall firing his shot into his arm. The Regret had to be put down, there would be no mercy for him.

Masson rolls over and puts an arm around Karie.

P9lh2kM.png

"Because one of his followers chose to brand and torment my wife."

qi64g.png

"Because he *wheeze* nearly totalled a city I lived in, made my species endangered, and sucked the soul out of my adoptive *cough* mother."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hours pass, some of the heroes managing to obtain some amount of sleep. Before long, a rapping on the door, causing the heroes to stir.

qi64g.png

"Can someone *yawn* get the door? I have no arms..."

Edited by Endgame

Em raises his glass towards Boomingham. "Cheers to landfall," he nods, gulping down a swig of the alcohol.

"Prepared..?" he repeats, thinking to himself for a moment. "I don't think I'm ready for what we're going to face," he answers carefully, lowering his voice. He frowns. "But I'm looking forward to it nonetheless. Are you... ready?"

"As long as I've got strong and loyal swords behind me," says Boomingham before falling asleep.

A few hours later, he rolls over hearing a knock on the door. He sits up in bed, but doesn't move to answer it. He looks at Masson. There had been a time when his adversary had come to visit him in the night.

"Think it's good news?"

P9lh2kM.png

"Anyone leave any armor in the galley or anything? Maybe it's just one of the crew members giving us something back."

"Probably. I leave my armor lying around all the time." Boomingham grumbles a little seeing no one else move for the door, gets out of bed, lumbers over to it and throws it open.

Boomingham opens the door, a cold aura suddenly flooding into their quarters. Some of the heroes recoil in silent horror and disgust.

CcDYxDr.png

The silvery figure speaks calmly, but there was an unmistakable, cruel cadence in his words.

S8jrq.png

"Heroes. Report to the top deck, if you'd be so kind."

And with that, the being vanishes as quick as he arrived, a cloud of dark smoke billowing outwards from where he once stood.

Sweat rolls down Masson's forehead.

P9lh2kM.png

"Was that...?!"

qi64g.png

"The Regret..."

Erdathcath leaps to her feet as the door opens, and what appears to be the Regret commands them to come to the top deck. Wide awake in a matter of seconds, Erdathcath gathers everything together with a fierce look in her eyes, then commands everyone else,

"Let's go! We need to get out there RIGHT NOW. I fear what they could have done to the crew of the ship. Move it!"