Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2015 Pictures and Rumors

@ cavegod's AT-AT.

First of all - re-reading my comment, it came across as harsh, but wasn't intented to. My apologies for that to cavegod if it sounded like trolling.

To make myself clear: Cavegod's AT-AT is more than impressive as a build and as a model. What I was trying to say is that I simply have huge doubts that Lego would ever make anything this huge and with a piece-count that high into a set, because marketing it and pricing will be quite a challenge.

As for the UCS-label: I'm just not a fan of such a label. The confusion about what makes a UCS-set and what doesn't is all out there.

Lastly, these are just my stupid opinions, nothing more. :classic:

Pax.

Hmm, TLG did make Falcon once, I don't see why they wouldn't have a flagship product at any one time. How do you market it? Simple, premium Lego product, intended to the niche market that are AFOLs, limited quantity, first serie certificates etc. Déjà vu.

I, for one, would take 3 of these to finally complete my Hoth diorama (well, if it's under 500€, not sure I'd be ready to buy 3 if it's more, but one goes without saying...)

That's a set I've been waiting for a very long time...

Why don't you have a go at designing one yourself? It's very satisfying when you build it, and it fills that empty Hoth void of a full size one :P Then you have the choice on whether to buy one if they release it and break yours up and sell the parts, or just sell it... or not buy it and keep yours :sweet:

It was inevidable that we would see those new launchers in a hailfire.

Too much rebels stuff for me, and those new stormtroopers look downright drepessed. Why not just add some teardrops to their cheeks.

And p.s Disney keep your filthy claws off the clone sets. You already killed half the canon.

I actually quite like Rebels now, and plan on buying most of the sets.....But the Stormies are still terrible. I have no clue why they look so sad, since they didn't even lose yet; they still have 5 years before they get served by a 19 year old farmer.

I think that the whole "Disney owns them" is just some lame excuse. I'm willing to give Disney their chance, I'm willing to have an open mind, and to see the direction they go in. People immediately think: "Disney made Snow White and Cinderella, so that means that they can only make kiddie movies." Rather than just giving them a chance.

I have faith in Disney. They gave us the avengers. Lucas gave us jar jar. But this topic isn't about that, it's about the lego sets. Which I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't influence much anyways.

Right. Back to the sets.

Why just one clone wars set( not counting the minis)?

P.s. I hate super hero stuff too.

Edited by Dinobrick

Right. Back to the sets.

Why just one clone wars set( not counting the minis)?

P.s. I hate super hero stuff too.

man, that's a lot of hate there :wink:

Like all things, everything needs to move on, and the clone wars era have unfortunately trickled on. After episode VII is released, you will also see OT and PT dwindling too. its the nature of things. New and current things sell better. Lego cant simply keep up so many themes, and subthemes within the same theme.

Like I said, I'm a Disney hater. I hate Disney through and though.

Can't we just back to the Lucas days.

Lucas thought Jar Jar was a GREAT idea. I think we can get away from ideas like that.

I know the Disney discussion is off-topic here, but since it's an interesting topic I'd like to throw my two cents in here, too.

Also, since this is an interesting topic, maybe a moderator/regulator could detach the relevant posts on that matter into a new thread, or merge them with an existing one, if there already is one.

Back in the days when Lucas made Star Wars and the original two sequels, he was artistically challenged because of the imperfections or lack of technology. More importantly, he was surrounded by competent people like Gary Kurtz who actually told Lucas what he should do differently or not at all. It was a classic case of 'art from adversity', and the result was something that changed cinema forever and became a part of global culture.

Fastforward to the late nineties: George Lucas had advanced the technology so that he now was able to put anything on the screen he wanted. Also, he got rid of the people that told him what he should change or not do at all. No one challenged his sloppy incoherent scripts. No one challenged his directorial approach, which almost exclusively consisted of sitting on a chair in front of several screens, drinking coffee, while his actors were left alone surrounded by green screens. No one told him that at the time, there was nothing special about special effects anymore. The result were three 'movies'...

-with A) The worst character 'development' of a main protagonist ever put on screen in a high-budget movie. Since the movies' center was the development of Anakin, the lack of script focus is painfully apparent here. We never get to see the most important character-defining moments: His training or his adventures with Obi Wan. We are just told about them. We are also told that Anakin and Obi Wan are friends, but we are never shown, nor do we get to feel a connection. The 'love' story with Padmé is the most cringeworthy and sloppy love-story ever put on screen. There is no connection, no chemistry, nothing.

These shortcomings become even more obvious if you compare them to the original Trilogy: We get to know Luke's plight, his hopes and dreams. We get to see how Luke and Han become friends and we get to feel the connection. We also get to see how Han and Leia fall in love, and a short little moment here does so much more than the most shallow love-story-scenes set in the most silly romantic places in the prequel 'movies'.

-with B) Action scenes so hilariously overcranked that it severes the audiences suspension of disbelief. The conveyor belt scene, the hovercar-chase scene - these are prime examples where the characters are put in such over-the-top action that defies the laws of physics and common sense in such a dreastic way, that it is impossible to feel a sense of danger for the characters anymore. Too much, too fast is boring ultimately.

-with C) the most boring and even sleep-inducing lightsaber fights. Ever! Cool choreography and a spectacular backdrop doesn't make a good lightsaber fight. What makes a lightsaber duel interesting and dramatic is what happens between the fighting characters, not the fight itself. The Maul-Obi Wan-Qui Gon duel ultimately was about nothing. They were just three dudes fighting in Theed Palace. In the fight between Obi Wan and Vader in A New Hope we get to know that Vader and Obi Wan knew each other from the past, and Obi Wan sacrificed himself so that Luke could escape. The dialogue between Obi Wan and Vader in that fight is more interesting and dramatic than the cool coreography and the music in the Maul-threesome.

There's much more, but I save this for discussion in an appropriate thread.

Coming back to Disney: I'm so glad that Disney owns the rights to Star Wars now instead of Lucas, because they know how to make competent movies with some creative elements, plus they also got the balls to try out something creative, which is rare in itself these days, even when they know it will piss off 'fan'nerds - Mandarin reveal anyone?

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

I'd love to reply to this (in complete agreement by the way) but the conversation is unfortunately way off topic... Hopefully this is something that can be carried on in Culture & Multimedia...

I think 1st January is usually the date for the UK. At least that's the date for Slave One anyway so I imagine the rest of the wave will be out then too.

Another slave 1? They can't top the original, but the 2011 one came close. We need another tie, preferably not an exclusive like the tie tank and droid tie. But available to everyone.

Another slave 1? They can't top the original, but the 2011 one came close. We need another tie, preferably not an exclusive like the tie tank and droid tie. But available to everyone.

Well the Slave One that's coming out is a UCS model and close to mining scale so not a successor as such for the 8097 set. There's a strong rumour that the next UCS set after that will be a TIE although there's no confirmation whether it's a standard TIE, Interceptor, Advanced etc... the 9492 Standard TIE is pretty much mining scale anyway but they may like the thinking that the UCS TIE would sit well with the Red Five UCS X-Wing..

I'm guessing you missed the pages of info about the UCS Slave I that is due in January (both in the US and other nations) also the original Slave I was horrible, the second one was great as was the Jango Variant

I don't like ucs, I was just surprised were getting another slave, that's all.

And the first slave wasn't that bad.

Edited by Dinobrick

New news regarding 2015 sets:

In september 2015 LEGO and DK will release this book:

LEGO Star Wars Rebels Unite! (September 2015, Dorling Kindersley, 9780241186824)

I bet it'll come with an exclusive minifig....the big question is: which character?