Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2015 Pictures and Rumors

Whereas I have no use for geonosian clone troops, this is another instance where I'm glad Lego has enough initiative to try something like them. Sure stormtroopers are at the top of alot of lists, but making something unique that hasn't been done before is always my preference.

I would add that I'm surprised about the shadow troopers. Those scream Hasbro 2007-2008, I'd have thought Lego would have tried them at that time.

As for rebel stormies, I have yet to see the show, do I can't judge. I'm not even sure how long rebels will last with the upcoming movie...

That is your opinion and not a fact - I would imagine (and i could be wrong) that Millions of kids asking for Rebels sets for Christmas would seriously outweigh the amount of people wanting to army build. We adult fans/collectors think Lego SW is being made for us, its not. The odd UCS targets the older fan but a battle pack that costs £9.99 is aimed at kids. The Rebels show is aimed at kids. Its been designed to attract a whole new generation of fans just before 6 major blockbuster films get released. I am in my late 30's and grew up with Star Wars and am a huge fan, I will watch Rebels, I will buy the sets but that doesn't change the fact that its aimed at kids.

I was about to reply but then I saw this:

True.. but on the other hand: all those kids wanting stormtroopers after seeing the Rebels show would probably not distinguish between the classic OT and the Rebel stormtroopers. They would want the BP anyway. So offering OT or Rebels style wouldn't make any difference when it comes to sales to the core market (kids / boys).

However, making them OT would mean an additional sale to the AFOL/ collectors public. True, they only represent a small % of the market, but many AFOL SW fans would probably buy multiples of the BP, whereas most kids are limited by their pocket money budget.

Again, we are only talking about some % here, but these days a lot of sales responsables would kill to see a rise in sales of 2 or 3%..

and this:

Had the ISD Stormie been used in all the Rebels sets containing a stormtrooper, Lego (and Disney) would still sell tons of sets; by stylizing them for no logical reason, they're gonna lose some sales. It may not be a large percentage at all, but it's something... and even if army-builders are an extreme minority, there are undoubtedly some that would've bought several (dozen?) ITT BPs had the ISD stormie been included that may not buy any of the Rebels-style; and those who will buy lots of the Rebels ITT don't really make up for that loss, as the vast majority of them likely would've bought the same number (or more) of the sets with ISD stormies instead.

...so nothing to add actually, quod erat demonstrandum.

They have made them different on purpose - the reason for this wouldn't be to shoot themselves in the foot sales wise. As i mentioned they have serious Marketing experts who use all sorts of data to determine what to do/produce and I am sure they are much better placed and on much higher salaries than us to say what should and shouldnt be produced. We are talking about a multi billion pound operation here that is in the hands of experts.

This made me laugh :laugh:

Sounds like Lehman Brothers... :grin:

... and now more seriously: you want to talk data? I am a strategy analyst in a big international corporation, first lesson of strategy - trust simple logic first and excel sheets second (ever heard of Occam's razor?). No, there is zero data that could have justified this choice for the simple logic contained in Venkefedo and J.V.D. posts I quoted you. Which leaves us with one other reasonable explanation, summarized by Robianco:

Lego may have been asked to design them differently full stop.

A decision was made to change the style of the CW stuff when it could easily have been the same... consistency of style with regular Jedis etc. I don't think all these design decisions are made by Lego and I don't think they're made with any kind of plan to upset people.

They have products to sell either in support of films or TV series or as stand alone sets based on the SW universe in general.

Someone either at Lego or Disney or Lucasfilm decided they wanted them to be different for Rebels... that's all.

That leaves us with you statement with which I finally agree:

Exactly. Thus if you dont like any of it you dont have to buy it.

And that's sadly the only weapon we have and the only tool that can showcase them their bad strategic decisions. Thus, although I absolutely LOVED the minifif of the 212th Airborne trooper, I haven't bought the 75036 set. Because, as I mentioned in a previous post, I do not want TLG to think they can get away with such a lazy design of an octuptarra droid. That was the only vote I had, and I was well saddened by the fact that I was going to miss on the airborne trooper. That's a reason I was happy as a child when I saw that they were rehashing that design for Geonosis troopers, the set that got trashed on this forum bigtime and that was the only certain day 1 purchase of the entire wave for me. I don't presume that my decision hurt TLG sales targets of 75036, but I used my vote as I could, and who knows, perhaps I wasn't the only one.

What I cannot understand is how someone can on one hand complain that they have so few storm troopers. While on the other hand complain that the rebel troopers are incompatible with them. Which would amount to how many exactly 4, 5 maybe 6-7? One could buy three sets and in most cases double if not triple the number of troopers they have. Because I'm not sure how stomping ones foot is going to change what TLG is producing. One can either make the best of it or act like a spoiled child.

TLG didn't become the largest toy maker in the world by catering to a demographic that maybe at most makes up 10% of its sales. And don't except that to change any time soon.

TLG became a N.1 by making a selection of very good strategic decisions and an extremely agressive marketing for The Lego Movie. That is far from saying that their every strategic decision has equal economic soundness or that people who point to inconsistencies or plain irrationalities in their strategy are spoiled children.

If I am wrong on the spell check I withdraw my criticism as I know this language isn't easy to learn natively let alone as a second or third language.

Haha, that was a good one :laugh: Try learning German, Russian, let alone more exotic languages like Hungarian or such and than assert on difficulties of learning English as a second language :wink: That being said, there is a variety of reasons why someone would be prevented from using spell checking tools, so I believe that more tolerance on this forum would be welcome as long as you carefully follow one's postings and pay attention to such reasons. :wink: There are people behind nickname folks, remember that. Especially when their postings are completely understandable...

Edited by Spyderlord

If you get the new MTT, next years AAT and next years Droid Transport to make the battle of grassy plains this will be the battle. Jar Jar Binks and a random Gungan vs 19 regular droids, a droid on a stap and 4 droid pilots that are driving two transports and a tank. That's a little one sided. Maybe a new Gungan patrol is in order just to stop Jar Jar and his Gungan buddy from getting slawtered in the first 5 seconds of battle.

Ooh, I would love a new Gungan Patrol. Maybe the animal mold for this year could be a kaadu, or they could take the old mold and add some printing.

If they made a new Kaadu they would need to make a new mold. The old one was rubbish. Take the old Kaadu and, say, the Tauntaun. You'll then see what I'm talking about.

I wonder if the new PK droid will be in the new tpm sets? I can't see, so I don't know for sure, but I don't think that it was on the box of the MTT.

Edited by The-Nexu

I'm not even sure how long rebels will last with the upcoming movie...

Rebels was greenlit for Season 2 before "Spark of Rebellion" premiered last week.

Why do you (and others) seem to think the show will get dropped when the movie finally hits? Despite MCU movies getting released every few months, Disney's got Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, and Hulk: Agents of SMASH all running at the same time on the animated side, along with Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter on the live-action TV front... so there's no reason they can't have two (or more!) concurrent Star Wars series in production, even if they're set decades apart. Rebels keeps viewers familiar with the OT era that started it all, while any newer sequel-related series gives fans access to more content set closer to that era.

Oh, so I'll have to get the MTT for the Pk droid. oh, well.

What were those cute things in the tuskin camp? I don't remember them.

At the moment I think that the most likely animals are the Kaadu, the Bantha and Boga.

Could they recolor the Dewback mold and make it a Faamba?

Faamba's were much larger than Banthas. They were the large dino like guys holding the gungan shield generators.

Faamba's were much larger than Banthas. They were the large dino like guys holding the gungan shield generators.

I knew that they held the generators. It wouldn't work, because o the size, and the neck isn't a fat roll like the Dewbacks.

Oh, so I'll have to get the MTT for the Pk droid. oh, well.

What were those cute things in the tuskin camp? I don't remember them.

At the moment I think that the most likely animals are the Kaadu, the Bantha and Boga.

The pk droid is brick built. No rare parts you could easily order them on bricklink

Edited by Jacob Nion

I don't get what the bid deal is over the Rebels Stormtroopers...it's not like TLG has stuck to one design over the past decade anyway so anyone who has been collecting for a while will already have a number of different Stormtrooper variations. The butthurt is probably coming from those AFOLs who are primarily interested in OT sets and are upset that the only way to get "real" OT Stormtroopers is (for the moment) from prohibitively expensive sets instead of en masse from cheap battlepacks. I'll admit that I probably prefer the OT version design and might have bought multiples of a battlepack with those in it, but I don't think the Rebels version looks so bad that it can't be used to fill the ranks of a Stormtrooper army.

The biggest negative for me is the fact there aren't regular blasters included in the set, just the new kiddie shooters.

I don't get what the bid deal is over the Rebels Stormtroopers...it's not like TLG has stuck to one design over the past decade anyway so anyone who has been collecting for a while will already have a number of different Stormtrooper variations. The butthurt is probably coming from those AFOLs who are primarily interested in OT sets and are upset that the only way to get "real" OT Stormtroopers is (for the moment) from prohibitively expensive sets instead of en masse from cheap battlepacks. I'll admit that I probably prefer the OT version design and might have bought multiples of a battlepack with those in it, but I don't think the Rebels version looks so bad that it can't be used to fill the ranks of a Stormtrooper army.

The biggest negative for me is the fact there aren't regular blasters included in the set, just the new kiddie shooters.

Nah, perfection is a must, no for stormdroopers! :laugh:

With the Episode 1 sets next year maybe the summer wave will have a new Gungan patrol and new Kaadu though a Bantha set wold be better. I also wounder why the AAT has no stickers for the front.

I also wounder why the AAT has no stickers for the front.

One of three reasons:

A) Lego used up all the stickers this year on the V-Wing and Droid Starfighter. :tongue:

B) Lego wants us to save money. :grin:

C) Lego hates us. (That one's not a joke.)

Edited by LN-01354

I don't know, I still kinda like it. Maybe some slight mods and order stickers for the front of bricklink.

I agree, I still like it too. I don't understand why so many people automatically make being smaller than previous versions a negative thing. If anything, this one is the closest in scale to battle droids, if that even matters. But so much negativity around the new MTT and ISD being smaller, and yet these newer versions looked much more accurate than the old ones as far as shape and design.

All of that being said, the lack of the frontal launch tubes is an issue I won't deny.

One of three reasons:

A) Lego used up all the stickers this year on the V-Wing and Droid Starfighter. :tongue:

B) Lego wants us to save money. :grin:

C) Lego hates us. (That one's not a joke.)

LEGO doesn't hate us, but what's interesting is that this wave in general seems a bit light on stickers. The T-16 has a couple, the Wookie Gunship, and a couple MFs, but not as much as we usually see.

That was only worth it on a discount... And on that note, why wasn't there a Threepio in that line?

Conclusion Confirmed: LEGO is hates us.

Edited by Jacob_9821

Need I remind you of 2013's Jabba's Fail Barge?

That was only worth it on a discount... And on that note, why wasn't there a Threepio in that line?

*Facepalm*

Yes, you're right. They hate the very people that embrace and obsess over their products. The people that put money in their pockets. They absolutely hate them.

To get back on topic, I still don't understand why being smaller than earlier versions is taken to be such a negative thing.

Edited by Phil Slender

It wasn't worth it if Lego payed me. That thing was junk on wheels. Tiny wheels, that barely raised the ship above the ground, so it always gets scratched up when it moves.

Lego's evil part? Putting in Max Rebo and the Slave Leia, forcing me to buy it. :thumbdown::hmpf_bad::angry:

I'm curious if there will be a rebels TIE Fighter with these ridiculous small wings.

A bow TIE fighter? :look: