Sign in to follow this  
MaineBrickFan

Layout: Working Train Yard (Brickfair NH 2014)

Hello all:

As promise,d here are some photos of the layout I presented at Brickfair 2014 in Manchester, NH.

I decided to go with a working cargo yard, patterned loosely off of the operations of the Maine Central railroad in the later 20th century. The cargo trains for MEC (often pulled by a GP7 od the type I built for the layout) regularly hauled pulpwood (non limber grade) logs to the state's paper mills. So I tried to capture some of that quintessential railyard activity while also keeping the layout fun for all ages. I hopu you like it!

Some overview pictures:

img_1468.jpg

img_1493.jpg

img_1497.jpg

The signal tower was loosely patterned after PT Tower in Rigby Yard, South Portland, ME. All buildings have interiors.

img_1495.jpg

In a concession to time I chose only to MOD the 60059 logging truck: I built a new back end with a second trailer.

img_1522.jpg

The shed is bullt on a single extra-large gray baseplate (48 studs). It sits on an elevation of about four bricks -- for reasons that will be apparent soon!.

img_1534.jpg

The shed roof comes off in two pieces, like the Simpsons House roof. There is a center beam that holds the "cupola" area.

img_1535.jpg

You may notice my homage to the 10027 train shed tools.

img_1537.jpg

Ooops!

img_1524.jpg

An 8-wide flat and two six-wide boxcars that I built (with help form m 10-year-old son) to fill out the layout. The pink hobo was a last-minute addition.img_1548.jpg

img_1549.jpg

I am very pleased with this bulkhead flat, depicted here being loaded with pulpwood.

img_1557.jpg

Get back here, bacon!

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did building and showing it!

Love the train shed too, the inside is a complete contrast to the exterior, very clinical and clean inside with an almost Victorian look outside very well done.

haha, like the spilled oil container on the inside. This MOC is beautiful, congrats, :) Love the work you've put into it, the details are just amazing

There's some lovely details in your layout. I really like the interior of the workshop.

Thanks for sharing. Good layout. That UniKitty is hobo kitty?

A very beautiful work. Great layout. Many Loving details. The Oil Drum Ooops. come back bacon. The locomotive. The timber loading crane. I like it very much.

Best regards Udo

Very nice work! The detail in the shed was very nice with the spilled drum of oil. Will you be bringing this wonderful display to BrickFair, VA in Chantilly in August? I would love to see it in person.