mccoyed

Freebuild Arena MOC

I put this together before I joined Historica. It was the process of building this and creating all the minifigs that made me join up. While this wasn't meant to be an Historica build, I thought you guys might appreciate it. I think it could easily fit in as a Kaliphlin principality or something (though the flags are wrong). Anyway, if the consensus in the comments is that this can count as Historican, I wouldn't mind that. It doesn't use any advanced building techniques to speak of, but C&C is welcome in general.

Anyway, have a peek. I'll post a few pics here but there are TONS on my flickr including many better shots of minifigs and gladiator alternates that I cut from the final version.

UoP Credits Claim:

Trade and Law: Governing Body

Anthropology: City Scene

Full build closed:

13986042236_9a0bcecffa.jpg

Full build open:

14005978331_e0265e8eeb.jpg

Arena close-up:

14009171305_5940fbd8b5_z.jpg

Gladiator armory:

14009170655_2404342f3c.jpg

Spectators:

14009164255_1c8f15cd7a.jpg

Edited by mccoyed

Nice build; great minifig posing. I can see this fitting into Kaliphlin as well (though probably near the Avalonian border, as the style is Kaliphlin but the stone color makes it look like it was constructed from Avalonian resources).

Thanks all.

@Scaevola: With the fluthark runes, there's some Mitgardia in there as well. Maybe some kinda border baron!

Thanks SK. I try to make my big MOCs with removable areas and opening features so that I can do accessible interiors. This build opened and the upper level plates lifted off for access into the underground part of the arena.

I have tons of certain colors of flags but never even saw a sand green one until learning about GoH. My next bricklink order will round out my stock so I can properly represent all the guilds!

+1 for both those credits! I meant to comment on this anyway; like SK said, it's really neat how you made it open! Also like the dash of color the flags and green awning provide. :thumbup: Good work!

Great build, i really like the bustling atmosphere and the way it opens to show the underground levels. :thumbup: Totes happy to give you UoP +1 for the city scene credit, but i'm less sure about the governing body one... if anything, it seems closer to the arresting criminals/jail/punishment category? (assuming that the gladiators are all from the criminal classes!)

Very nice build! I agree that it's awesome how you can open the build and see the interior in the basement. I'm looking forward to more builds of you!

EDIT: Also, you have a nice collection of Brickwarriors. For all who like them: Currently they have free international shipping on orders over 25$ and 20% discount for all products. I just bought a bunch of parts :blush:.

Edited by Simon_S

Bravo, the opening/closing is genius! And also crammed with little details that really give life to the scene.

Definitely looks like a vibrant city, +1 for Anthropology: City Scene. I have to agree with Gabe on Governing Body tho, that would usually be something more like a city hall/chieftain hut/throne room.

There's a king and his family prominently displayed above the fighting pit itself. If that's not enough for Governing Body, I get it... but that's what I was basing it off!