Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

On 5/2/2020 at 8:50 AM, jonwil said:

I think that some of those character names skirt close to a potential trademark lawsuit (the car dealers and the typist).

Same with Sir Alexander Dennis as he's named after a bus manufacturer. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

More Ideas

• City Dump - Includes factory building with working conveyor belt, garbage truck and Shirley Keeper. New Character Introduced: Stinky Whifferton - a local garbage man. 
  • Farm - includes barn with, pig sty, horse stable, beehive, tractor, hay trailer and various minifigures. New Characters Introduced: Buzz Keeperman - a local beekeeper. Wheaton Tares - a crop farmer. 
Edited by Brandon Pea

City Building Ideas:

• Lego Emporium - Includes big Lego store building with Lego truck and several minifigures 
  • Octan Auto Complex - includes two car repair bay connected to snack shop, gas pumps, recharging station, Harl Hubbs and Tread Octane in Octan uniforms, civilians, Octan tow truck, motorcycle and two civilian cars.  
  • Senior Living Facility - includes apartment building, Mary Sinclair, unnamed elderly people and a blue shuttle bus. 
Edited by Brandon Pea

Subtheme Idea: Construction Reboot

1. Front Loader and Dump Truck - Includes front loader, dump truck and dirt elements
  2. Mobile Crane - Includes mobile crane with steel beam pieces
  3. Construction Site - Includes tower crane, sanijohn, worker's office, unfinished building and foreman's truck
  4. Pavement Crew - Includes cement mixer, steam roller, flat pieces to represent road and road closed signs
  5. Excavator Transport - Includes transporter truck with excavator. Similar to the one from 2017.
  6. Demolition Sequence - Includes wrecking ball, demolished building fronts, bulldozer and working TNT plunger. Similar to the demolition site we got in 2015.

New Characters Introduced

• James Foreman - the foreman of the construction company. Included in all sets
  • Nate Diggers - an digger for the construction company. Included in set 1.
  • Veronica Lifts - a crane operator for the construction company. Included in sets 2 and 3.
Edited by Brandon Pea

On 5/4/2020 at 5:50 PM, Brandon Pea said:

City Dump - Includes factory building with working conveyor belt, garbage truck and Shirley Keeper. New Character Introduced: Stinky Whifferton - a local garbage man.

I really like this idea, Brandon Pea! It would be something completely new for our cities plus would give kids a lot of play functions.

On 5/17/2020 at 7:54 PM, Brandon Pea said:

Octan Auto Complex - includes two car repair bay connected to snack shop, gas pumps, recharging station, Harl Hubbs and Tread Octane in Octan uniforms, civilians, Octan tow truck, motorcycle and two civilian cars.  

With having some sort of pedagogic responsibility, too, Lego should go away from too many individual cars and release much more public transport. So I would propose following set instead of a car garage:

Bus Garage

big hall with rolling gates and room for two busses to be repaired, with severeal working space, tools and a lift

next to it a travel agency with writing table, three chairs, a computer, a coffee machine, a soda machine, flowers and a wall with leaflets

vehicles: big travel bus, small bus with round front and a dark blue bicycle

minifigs: two workers, two bus drivers, one officer and two passengers

What do you think?

Btw: The busses your friend designed look great! I would recommend to make the back part of the bendy bus longer. But otherwise very well done. I esp. like the bus with the round front.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

2 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

What do you think?

What do think? I think I LOVE it. A bus garage would be perfect for City. Of course, it would have to be big enough to fit a bus inside. If Lego were to do it, I'd recommend that they take influence from the 2009 garage set. Lego has shown time and time again that they are good at making sets centered around public transportation. Take it a step further and make a subtheme from it. The bus set from 2017 and the 2018 passenger train are good places to start. It seems like every vital civilian service has gotten their own subtheme except for the transit system - which seems to have lived in the shadows even during the "HEY" generation of City sets, usually in a mega sets like:

Or in standalone town sets like:

So the transit system seems to be something that Lego is hesitant to give their own subtheme to. For the past 5 years, it seems like that's been the case with most action that takes place IN the City. If you do a tally chart, you'll see that action outside of the City dominates the theme. So because Lego is sometimes hesitant to push action within the City, I don't see very many sets centered around public transport anytime soon. But I definately love this idea. I'm offended that City has never given a subtheme idea to the transit industry. I take it personally because I work for the transit industry and its something I've been passionate about since I was a child. 

24 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Btw: The busses your friend designed look great! I would recommend to make the back part of the bendy bus longer. But otherwise very well done. I esp. like the bus with the round front.

I'll let him know that. Thank You! :classic: Yeah, he made that based on the shuttle buses in his town. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he worked for Lego and those models were actually going to be part of a cancelled City subtheme centered around public transport. 

The idea of a complete transit system subtheme sounds interesting, @Brandon Pea.

In this case I have to add that we've seen several transit busses over the years plus two trams. But there has been only one overland bus so far - so it's really time for a new one.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:21 PM, Brandon Pea said:

Subtheme Idea: Public Transport

• Driver Training - Includes blue mini bus, bus stop and two cones
  • Shuttle Service - Includes blue shuttle bus with bus stop
  • Highway Express - Includes blue coach bus with bus stop.
  • City Bus - Includes blue city bus with bus stop 
  • Articulated Bus - Includes blue articulated bus with bus stop
  • Rapid Transit Train - Includes blue rapid transit train, oval track layout and platfom
  • Streetcar - Includes blue streetcar with oval track layout and platform

New Characters Introduced:

• Brandon Transitwell - a young bus driver
  • Gertrude Von Breda - a subway and streetcar operator who is from Germany. 
  • Sir Alexander Dennis- the head of the transit company

@Klaus-Dieter Here are my proposals. Having named characters will definitely make it popular among children. Also Lego has done some nice looking streetcars, subways and buses in the past. Though considering that they've never done a bendy bus before, that one may be a bit hard. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

34 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

@Klaus-Dieter Here is my proposal. Having named characters will definitely make it popular among children. 

What about my modular bus set on LEGO Ideas?  It has some neat features to it

2 minutes ago, Greenstar said:

I saw that and I supported it. Great job on that modular. I hope Lego considers it for the 2021 modular. 

So there's a new and big idea which would be a dream if TLG released it:

setidee_lego_city_zentrum.jpg

Downtown Lego City (D2C 18+ set)

Experience a day in downtown Lego City!

• Imagine you're a buisness woman or man. Drive with the civilian car into the city.
  • Go to work into the Sky Tower skyscraper. On the first floor you find the info desk and a lounge, on the second floor there's the doctor's office with a waiting room with reception and a surgery. On the second floor there's a hightech laboratory with air-lock room and the laboratory itself. On the third floor you find the HQ of the famous Octan company - one room is an open-plan office and the other room is the boss' office. On the fourth floor there's the TV 5+ capitol news studio which contains the news studio itself and the director's room. And on top of the roof you find TV antennas.
  • Imagine you are a window cleaner. Clean the front of the SKy Tower with the window cleaner's elevator which can be driven up and down and all around the whole glass facade of the building.
  • Imagine you're a teen. Have some free time in downtown Lego City with driving around with your bicycle or longboard.
  • Go to the candy tricycle and choose between lollipop, popcorn and chocolate.
  • Imagine you have broken your foot some time ago and need to sit in a wheelchair at the moment. Let you drive with the handicapped accessible taxi into the city.
  • Read the plate on the rider's statue of a famous prince.
  • Then sit down on the bench next to the duck pond and watch the ducks swimming around.
  • At the same time you listen to the music of the street organ. Does the player have a monkey who welcomes you with putting his hat up and down? Yes, he does.
  • Imagine you are a young mother or young father. Take your baby carriage.
  • Visit the Grand Store emporium. On the first floor you find clocks and jewelry and even chocolate and several sorts of candy. On the second floor you get clothes and everything you need for in- and outdoor sports. And on the third floor a lot of different toys are sold. You will find everything you need!
  • Imagine you are a supplier. Drive with your huge delivery truck to the entrance of the Grand Store. Operate the lifting ramp in the back of your truck to get in- and outside the truck with your goods. Then take the pallette joe to bring the goods into the store.
  • Imagine you are a bridal pair. Take the rickshaw to the city hall. In the left room downstairs you meet the registrar in the registry office and you marriage.
  • Imagine you are the city's mayor. Go the the city hall. Downstairs in the room on the right side your read in the library what a good mayor has to do. Then you go upstairs into the big meeting room and prepair for the municipal council meeting.
  • Imagine you are a pilot. Steer the small propeller plane and fly around the huge Lego ad so that everyone in Lego City sees how big and cool Lego is.
  • This set contains a 16x16 corner-base skyscraper with five floors, a 16x32 base emporium with three floors and a 16x32 base city hall with two floors.
  • There are nine vehicles: a civilian car, a big delivery truck, a small propeller plane, a handicapped accessible taxi, a rickshaw with place for the driver in the front and two passengers in the back, a candy tricycle, a bicycle, a wheelchair and a longboard.
  • A toal number of 25 minifigs is included: longboarder male teen, bicycle female teen, handicapped old man, taxi driver, street organ player, window cleaner, supplier, city's mayor, civilian car driver, rickshaw driver, bride, groom, city's mayor, pilot, registrar, mother, father, baby, Octan boss, officer, doctor, candy vendor, two emporium vendors and a kid.
  • There are many new elements: a completely new molded longboard, a monkey in black, a brick-built baby carriage, a brick-built street organ, a brick-built rider's statue with a compelte black horse and minifig, a male duck, a female duck and a bicycle in dark blue.
  • Simply have a lot of fun in Downtown Lego City!

What do you think?

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

8 minutes ago, Greenstar said:

That's indeed a great MOC, Greenstar! :thumbup:

But 1. the busses are imo too old style for the regular Lego City theme. And 2. I don't like the CC series style buildings because of their closed backs of the buildings.

3 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

I think I prefer the TV 6+ news station as a standalone building with LCA character, Gabby DeCamera. 

Everything else is perfect. 

Thanks. :classic:

4 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

But 1. the busses are imo too old style for the regular Lego City theme. And 2. I don't like the CC series style buildings because of their closed backs of the buildings.

I don't mind the old school looking buses. Adds sorta a classy look to it. If it gets accepted, this would be my first modular. 

1 hour ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

That's indeed a great MOC, Greenstar! :thumbup:

Thanks. :classic:

It’s not really modular as in the current lego modular series, modular in this case refers to the way the vehicles are built as well as being able to connect the bigger terminals together for a bigger bus stop and possible other transit stations in my planned subtheme, the bus set is just the first of many, I will post others when it passes 100 supporters

Also, I prefer the old school style for an articulated bus

Those sound like some great ideas, @Klaus-Dieter!

I've been thinking of a museum subtheme for City. The sets could be 8x8 modules, each representing an exhibit from a different time period. These could include historical minifigs to fill a similar niche as CMFs, but with more accessories and side builds. The modules could connect together to expand the museum display.

22 minutes ago, Pdaitabird said:

I've been thinking of a museum subtheme for City. 

I don't think that's going to work. Lego City subthemes are mostly comprised of vehicles. So they'd need to be mostly vehicle related. 

5 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Those sound like some great ideas, @Klaus-Dieter!

I've been thinking of a museum subtheme for City. The sets could be 8x8 modules, each representing an exhibit from a different time period. These could include historical minifigs to fill a similar niche as CMFs, but with more accessories and side builds. The modules could connect together to expand the museum display.

4 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

I don't think that's going to work. Lego City subthemes are mostly comprised of vehicles. So they'd need to be mostly vehicle related. 

Thanks and that's a nice idea, Pdaitabird, but I regrettably have to agree with Brandon Pea that in Lego City all is centered around vehicles and so a building-only-theme would never be released. But I could very well see a huge museum in the Ideas range.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

@Brandon Pea @Klaus-Dieter Hmmm, I'd never paid enough attention to TLG's City theme to notice that! Where would a series of historical vignettes belong? Creator, perhaps?

Edit: Just found this topic with some cool museum ideas for the modular line!

Edited by Pdaitabird
Added link

1 hour ago, Pdaitabird said:

@Brandon Pea @Klaus-Dieter Hmmm, I'd never paid enough attention to TLG's City theme to notice that! Where would a series of historical vignettes belong? Creator, perhaps?

Edit: Just found this topic with some cool museum ideas for the modular line!

Creator would make more sense. Maybe expert can put all those ideas together to make a big museum modular. 

On 5/28/2020 at 2:18 PM, Greenstar said:

a railway museum could be an idea

Hah, we're lucky to get an real train ever 4+ years, a whole musuem is never gonna happen! 

Would make a fantastic (but enormous) MOC. 

4 hours ago, Merlict said:

Hah, we're lucky to get an real train ever 4+ years, a whole musuem is never gonna happen! 

Would make a fantastic (but enormous) MOC. 

The closest Coty has ever gotten to a museum was in 2013. 

This would be a harder set type to do, but what about an urban cable car system with intermediate and end stations

the basic set would include two end stations and some cable length as well as two cabins with the ability to purchase intermediate stations and extra cabins