So apparently there is a live-action movie based on Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers in the works:

http://www.hollywood...p-n-dale-676161

For me, this is unsettling news. All live-action adaptions of any kids shows that were popular in the 80's and 90's have been varying degrees of terrible as of late, no matter how much money they made. I didn't care much for franchises like Transformers, Smurfs, or Scooby Doo when I was a kid, so it was easy for me to dismiss those awful movies. However, the Disney Afternoon is something that is very dear to my heart and I would hate for them to ruin one of my favorite childhood TV shows. Of course there is a lot of potential for a good movie here, but while Walt Disney Animation Studios has been making a return to producing good films, Disney's latest live-action adaptions have unfortunately been passable at best and with Hollywood "raping everyone's childhood" the way I see this movie turning out is as a Alvin and the Chipmunks clone with the usual moronic humor, bad CGI, and pointless celebrity voices. I really, really, really hope I'm wrong and I will try to stay optimistic until I actually see a trailer, but it seems like the most likely outcome.

On the other hand, if this means that I will finally get those Rescue Rangers Lego sets I've been wanting since I was a kid, bring it on! :grin:

If you ask me, Gummy Bears or Gargoyles would have been much better choices for a live-action adaption, especially the latter, but I digress.

What are your thoughts on this?

Oky,

Terrified, eh? Calm down now...have a cuppa tea and a couple of biscuits.

Terrifying is a child killed by a drunken hit and run driver, or 100,000 civilians gassed or gunned down in Syria or starving to death while walking to refugee camps too far away.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, but it does not sound terrifying. You will survive this.

These recent movies based on old cartoons would almost make sense if they weren't live action. :wacko: Seriously, who came up with the idea of live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? :laugh:

I just hope that Fat Cat (if he makes an appearance) is cgi and not some real cat with a costume :P

& I wonder how they'll pull of Zipper the fly...

Edited by Cammo

Yeah, I don't get it either :hmpf_bad: Live-action movies based on cartoons are usually atrocious (Chipmunks, Yogi Bear and especially the Smurfs :sick:) and pretty much universally hated (rightfully so I might add :laugh:). Chipmunks was the first of the bunch IIRC and the others just followed because of the financial success of the former. It might work on that level, but the films themselves are really not worth it most of the times. Cute drawn animated characters don't necessarily look cute when done in CGI :grin: Imagine if Roger Rabbit had the CG abominations that plague the aforementioned movies :iamded_lol: Despite all of this, there's still the slight off-chance that it might work since Disney remain at the helm :wink:

I am so sad this is going to be a hybrid CGI live action. When I first saw the announcement, I was so excited but quickly got bummed out! Why would an animated version not be made? Even an all CGI version would be OK for me.

In any case, here the IGN article on the movie.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/01/disney-picks-up-chip-n-dale-movie-pitch

I thought The Smurfs were really nice until they teleported to the 'real' world...

I thought The Smurfs were really nice until they teleported to the 'real' world...

Amen! The movie started and I was really excited, it looked decent and all but then ...

Oky,

Terrified, eh? Calm down now...have a cuppa tea and a couple of biscuits.

Terrifying is a child killed by a drunken hit and run driver, or 100,000 civilians gassed or gunned down in Syria or starving to death while walking to refugee camps too far away.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, but it does not sound terrifying. You will survive this.

No offense, but I think you're the one who needs to calm down. I never said that I wasn't going to survive this or that this is equal to anything you mentioned. All I wanted to say is that I am afraid that they will screw this movie up. "Terrifying" was obviously an exaggerated expression, but if it bothers you so much, I can reword it for you.

I just hope that Fat Cat (if he makes an appearance) is cgi and not some real cat with a costume :P

& I wonder how they'll pull of Zipper the fly...

Well, his face would be CG either way, but yeah, it would be best if he would be all-CG. However, this being a live-action hybrid, I would imagine that the villain in this movie would be Professor Nimnul à la Gargamel. :sadnew:

As for Zipper, I can easily see them simply making a CG version of him, just like the other characters, and maybe have Dee Bradley Baker provide the "voice" or noises for him. I certainly hope that they don't make him look like an actual fly...

Cute drawn animated characters don't necessarily look cute when done in CGI :grin: Imagine if Roger Rabbit had the CG abominations that plague the aforementioned movies :iamded_lol: Despite all of this, there's still the slight off-chance that it might work since Disney remain at the helm :wink:

I am so sad this is going to be a hybrid CGI live action. When I first saw the announcement, I was so excited but quickly got bummed out! Why would an animated version not be made? Even an all CGI version would be OK for me.

I agree with you all. Trying to make live-action/CG hybrids is one of the main things that kill these kind of movies. Cute cartoon characters just don't work in a modern, realistic world. Smurfs could have been a decent movie if they would have just stayed in the Smurfs world. It's one of the reasons why I was skeptical when it was rumored that the Lego Movie would have live-action elements as well, but they seem to have decided against that, and surprise surprise, it actually looks like a good movie. If they would make a completely CG movie based on Rescue Rangers, I would be completely on board with it, especially if it was done by Disney Animation Studios, but this way I just don't have as much faith in it. While I do think that Disney will treat it with more respect than the likes of Sony and Fox, I hope that Mandeville will do a better job with this than with the new Muppets movie (which was only okay in my opinion).

And speaking of Disney Afternoon shows... Where is the next set of volumes for the DVD releases of these shows?! :sing:

The film that really "invented" the idea of live action + animation was Who Framed Roger Rabbit. That film (unlike pretty much all the attempts that followed) actually pulled it off.

The film that really "invented" the idea of live action + animation was Who Framed Roger Rabbit. That film (unlike pretty much all the attempts that followed) actually pulled it off.

Well, it wasn't the first film to use that technique, but you're right that it is one of the few times it was used successfully, and that's mainly due to the fact that they were actually meant to be cartoons living in the real world instead of being intended to look real, but end up looking like inserted cartoons anyway.

While I totally agree that cartoons turned into live action/CGI movies seldom seem to work, I can understand why Hollywood does it. If they just released a really well done animated version, like the tv shows, how would it have the same impact? It would be little more than the direct to video movies we use to get. I think making them live action with CGI gives people the idea it's a bigger deal.

@deathleech

Yea, I believe thats what happened with Tintin, people saw it as an animation and don't seem to care about it. Tintin would've worked well inlive action though :P

Wouldn't it be great to see a rescue rangers movie in the style of the Tintin movie?