Sign in to follow this  
InvincibleEagle

My name is Zack, I'm 22 years old, and I'm an AFOL

When I was a kid in the mid-late 90s, Lego practically occupied all my thoughts and time, so I guess it was only a matter of time before it pulled me back in.

As a kid, my favorite theme was by far Aquazone. I had almost all the Aquanaut and Aquashark sets, a few Hydronaut and String Ray sets, but no Aquaraiders. Luckily, times were a lot better for my family back then, so my parents were able to provide them for me. Everything about 90s Lego makes me deeply nostalgic. The deep colors, the mesh bags, the box flaps (what happened to those?), and those commercials mean so much to me.

However, I hold less endearing memories of the 90s in Lego when it comes to the last years of the decade. I'm of course talking about juniorization. After a bit of lurking before finally making this account, I've gotten the idea that the community isn't too fond of that term, but bare with me here. I'm talking mostly about Town Jr. and Knight's Kingdom I here. While I did play with these sets and enjoy them well enough, I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed after looking through old Lego catalogues.

For example, while I was playing with this:

6554.jpg

the slightly older generation got to play with this:

6571-1.jpg?0

Just look at the difference. The older set has garage doors and a truck with a roof! The 97 version just looks like geometric shapes stacked on top of one another in comparisson. I've since noticed Lego skyrocket in quality since then, and I regret not being there for Fantasy Era Castle and Kingdoms among other themes.

Anyway, as I went through junior high and high school, my interest in Lego naturally dropped as I became interested in video games.

How did I get back into Lego? It was a very slippery slope that brought me back. Just last August, I was looking at Lego at Walmart and saw a few Lord of the Rings sets on sale. I've known the theme existed for a while, but they were just out of the question for me, but this time was different since I had some disposable income. I bought one Uruk-Hai army set thinking, "Lego and Lord of the Rings, two of my all time favorite things. This is a nice treat; I deserve it." But that once nice treat quickly turned into an obsession. I soon bought Weathertop, and before I knew it, I had all the sets that provided me with all 9 Fellowship members and all 13 dwarves plus a few more.

I'm now looking forward to everything Lego has in store for us in the future in the way of Castle and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit. While I do not have nearly the collection most of you have, I now consider myself a full fledged AFOL.

Welcome to EB! LOTR fanatic eh, have you seen the Tower of Orthanc yet? :drool:

I saw the designer video around the time it came out. I was immediately blown away by its sheer size escpecially compared to the people sitting next to it. I'd love to buy it, but I'm afraid I just don't have anywhere to put it.

Hi Zack. Zack, are you too young to be a Lego Maniac? I don't recall the timing of that, in my memories, terrible ad campaign - but I couldn't resist.

But I do enjoy the tale of your journey - and yes, you suffered greatly under the pale yoke of Juniorization. But that you recognize it allows you to overcome. Here's to many years more in the obsession and I'm sure you'll be happy. The only advice I give you, in your youthful prime, is to enjoy life and LEGO but remember - it's okay if you have another dark ages, or miniature version of (Some things may take priority) - but for now, welcome back to the fold and build on.