sheo

[MOC] Terex RH400 Mining Excavator (Obsolete)

Unfortunately i have some problems with the start Up System. I think there is to much friction! The M Motor struggles there! but i can live without this Function ;)

Do you mean the fake motors and fans? Could you post some photos? In any case, try switching the polarity on the manual switch.

Edited by sheo

Sorry Sheepo! It was my fault! If you turn up the rechargeable battery box everything works perfect ;)

80 Pages to go.....

Hello!

sheo Terrific job, thank you for your efforts and for providing instructions, reading the comments and looking at the reviews I flashed this excavator and want to build it.

But I have a question for sheo or those who already owns this beautiful creation. I've heard and read that this model is so equipped tightly that there's even a hair nowhere to fall, and so I would like to know whether it is possible in this model to replace 4 infrared receiver on two SBrick, will there be enough space?? Did someone? Is this possible? So I think such a model would be convenient to operate the gadget, and want to save it for the shelf, as it is a wonderful model.

Hello!

sheo Terrific job, thank you for your efforts and for providing instructions, reading the comments and looking at the reviews I flashed this excavator and want to build it.

But I have a question for sheo or those who already owns this beautiful creation. I've heard and read that this model is so equipped tightly that there's even a hair nowhere to fall, and so I would like to know whether it is possible in this model to replace 4 infrared receiver on two SBrick, will there be enough space?? Did someone? Is this possible? So I think such a model would be convenient to operate the gadget, and want to save it for the shelf, as it is a wonderful model.

I think it is probably possible because you only need 2 Sbricks instead of 4 IR receivers. This would be an awesome model to control with SBrick.

I think it is probably possible because you only need 2 Sbricks instead of 4 IR receivers. This would be an awesome model to control with SBrick.

Yes I agree with you completely! But since I've heard a lot of comments about the fact that there is so little space,I'm afraid that may not be enough length of cable to connect 4re of the motor to one SBrick, so I would like to understand, there are some stock, or it is so compact that even at such manipulation is not enough space and the length of the cable.

I have to admit that I have only built an LDD version. Has anyone given any thought to making the track frames and boom a bit 'lighter/hollow'. I think we the use of the new t-bone part and other frames, there is room/opportunity to make the structure lighter and reduce friction. Don't get me wrong, this is a very 'solid' build (structure/design/functionality) but I'm tempted to make use of newer parts. Any thoughts on this?

I have to admit that I have only built an LDD version. Has anyone given any thought to making the track frames and boom a bit 'lighter/hollow'. I think we the use of the new t-bone part and other frames, there is room/opportunity to make the structure lighter and reduce friction. Don't get me wrong, this is a very 'solid' build (structure/design/functionality) but I'm tempted to make use of newer parts. Any thoughts on this?

The model already uses the most modern parts all over the place. Yes, it is possible to make it lighter, but only by completely changing the whole model.

I'm thinking few of these (below) in the track frame (they're exactly 5L wide) may alleviate the need for so many thin liftarms and pins, but again, just a thought.

14720.jpg?1

I guess I'm just trying to 'adapt' the build to parts I have on hand (got so many of those T-bones)

Edited by DrJB

I can't say this often enough, this is a 'phenomenal' build. The more I do in LDD, the more I appreciate how intricate the design is. It's taking several hours to do the virtual build, and that's a bit 'deceptive' (non representative) compared to the number of hours (or maybe weeks) the author invested into this.

That said, and for those of you who have built the actual/physical model, what is the function of two turntables stacked together?. As I'm only 'playing' with LDD, I can't figure out yet what they're for.

Edit: Never mind, I found it. On page 826 onward, only the turntable is shown for 'clarity'. The superstructure is built on top of the track frame. I was used to two parts built separately then assembled together in the final step, but here it's not the case.

Edited by DrJB

Thought I would share my built of this great model.

I opted to use 3 x SBricks for the control of all functions (I eliminated the two PF switches used to control lighting & incorporated with SBrick), Note: the clean exterior where the IR receivers are normally positioned.

This has been the most complex build I have undertaken plus fitting SBricks required several partial tear-downs & rebuilds to get right.

Now that it is completed I am 100% satisfied & proud of this build.

It was shown publicly for the first time last weekend at the Sydney Brick Show (Australia) & received a wonderful reception from those who are Technic fans.

Cheers - OneMoreRobot

17269667515_93234f21f1.jpgMining Shovel.2 by OneMoreRobot_NZ, on Flickr

17269663185_34ccb1ec05.jpgMining Shovel.3 by OneMoreRobot_NZ, on Flickr

17083437939_95b7f4067a.jpgMining Shovel.5 by OneMoreRobot_NZ, on Flickr

17269618055_0224793704.jpgMining Shovel.9 by OneMoreRobot_NZ, on Flickr

Edited by OneMoreRobot

How many SBricks do you have? Because all the other things you have shown have got them! Lucky person

How many SBricks do you have? Because all the other things you have shown have got them! Lucky person

Bought a bunch during the Kickstarter for a good price - won't see these three again, they are well & truely buried deep inside.

Cheers OMR

I can't say this often enough, this is a 'phenomenal' build. The more I do in LDD, the more I appreciate how intricate the design is. It's taking several hours to do the virtual build, and that's a bit 'deceptive' (non representative) compared to the number of hours (or maybe weeks) the author invested into this.

That said, and for those of you who have built the actual/physical model, what is the function of two turntables stacked together?. As I'm only 'playing' with LDD, I can't figure out yet what they're for.

Edit: Never mind, I found it. On page 826 onward, only the turntable is shown for 'clarity'. The superstructure is built on top of the track frame. I was used to two parts built separately then assembled together in the final step, but here it's not the case.

I just come to finish the LDRAW file for the excavator, I'll upload it in the next days. A quick'n dirty build stepping I've already made. So in next future time, I'll build the model, so I can go on to create the instructions with LPUB. But that will be a real challenge, there are so many submodels to integrate, so complex building steps, that I know that I'll not finish the inetructions before summer end.

Greetings

Alex

Thought I would share my built of this great model.

I opted to use 3 x SBricks for the control of all functions

Wow, it's so much better with SBricks hidden inside! :thumbup:

I'm building this incredible Moc, but I am having big problems with the wiring. The interior space is scarce and many parts does not connect well. I'm in a good place with the superstructure, but I realized that some functions are not to be. I must have detached something when I entered the back of Terex (refused to go).

Now unmount the superstructure and start again from scratch.

However I want to thank Sheo for this fantastic work and for having created and shared with us all the instructions!

Edited by Scapuc

Congratulations, Alex! :thumbup:

Only one remark: the 5.5L axle on the boom seems to protrude a little further than it should.

Scapuc, maybe you should wait for Alex's instructions?

Congratulations, Alex! :thumbup:

Only one remark: the 5.5L axle on the boom seems to protrude a little further than it should.

Hi sheo,

Thanks, it was a massive effort to create the LDRAW file. You're right, the 5.5 axles were placed one stud too far outside. I've made the correction.

But I'm sure that the file needs some more corrections. That's I need to build to create the instructions. And maybe I'll not finish them before autumn.

The LDRAW file you can download here: http://www.bricksafe.../TerexTH400.mpd

Do you still have the LFX file? It would be fine if I have it to compare and find out some errors.

And if somebody want to support the instruction generation - you're welcome. :sweet:

Greetings

Edited by afol1969

Thanks, it was a massive effort to create the LDRAW file.

Did you have to create this whole file from scratch or were you able to start with my LDraw file? My file should have had all the parts in the right places but no steps or submodels.

I was just paging through your file and the amount of work you put into subdividing the model into logical parts is staggering. Thanks!

Hi blakbird,

I created it from scratch. That gave me the occasion to make an provisional build stepping to work for the later instructions. The most difficult part was setting the correct rotating points for the boom sections and the actuators.

Greetings

Alex

You had me with the title! The O&K RH400 is my favorite shovel excavator and this is the second fully-functioning Lego design I've seen (the first was on MOCpages several years ago). It looks incredible even if it isn't built strictly according to the real design. I'm surprised there's been no talk of specs on the previous pages, so if you'll allow I'll fill the void. It was engineered by O&K in 1995 just before they were bought by Terex. Syncrude in Canada bought the first four machines which were red and white and had approx. 85 ton payload capacity. The design was thoroughly redone, increasing the size, weight, power, and capacity of the machines. By the time Terex sold its Mining Division to Bucyrus International in 2010 the machines were equipped with 68 cubic yard shovels rated for just over 103 tons payload! The two 16-cylinder, 60-L Cummins QSK60 engines produced a total of 4500 hp (3360 kW) and the optional twin electric motors produced 3200 kW, good for almost 270 tons of breakout force and more than 360 tons of crowd force. The machines weigh some 1080 tons (980 metric tonnes) and were the biggest in the world. Cat bought Bucyrus in 2011 and renamed the machine 6090 FS before announcing that it was developing a bigger, 1400-ton, 85-yd monster with hybrid tech called the 6120B FS (120 metric tonne payload, or approx. 130 tons for 3-pass loading 400 ton trucks). But back to the Lego models - just incredible! It looks great in these colors too. Oh, I might add that the full name was "Terex O&K RH400." Terex always kept purchased names alive. Great job everyone! Now someone needs to build a Unit Rig MT6300 or Cat 797F 400-ton haul truck to match!

Great job everyone! Now someone needs to build a Unit Rig MT6300 or Cat 797F 400-ton haul truck to match!

Agreed - Sheo, the challenge has been laid down

Scapuc, maybe you should wait for Alex's instructions?

Surely I will wait the new instructions of Alex, but in the meantime I want to be able to finish this model. In many have done and I have to be able too! ;)

Again, thank you for sharing this fantastic building.