when it is this part why design one ? i dont think a printed part will be cheaper. or should it deliver a different functionality?

The original part came only in two sets: Dozer 8275 and Crane Truck 8421 ... Since both are no longer available and quite expensive ... people have been building them with spare parts from bricklink .... all other parts are rather common/cheap except such bracket. Incidentally, yellow wheel sprockets are also rare but one can use orange/black.

Edited by DrJB

Yes, I meant the above mentioned part, used in 8421 and 8275. Ridiculously expensive on bricklink.

Curious to see what you come up with :classic::thumbup:

On a different note, what are the main differences on your design of LA holder, compared to the normal one? I mean, I see they are different, but what are the new part's advantages?

Hi efferman,

that looks promising... Do you have a picture from an other angel?

Thanks.

Pat

in this combination it would cost 10,69€

does anybody know if two parts became one part when they are placed like this?

674x501_1765562_2313853_1394220749.jpg

source

or is it better to make two of these, but these would cost 11,98€

674x501_1765554_2313839_1394220514.jpg

source

Edited by efferman

on one hand that is a good idea to make custom parts. On the other hand that is no Lego solution. In my opinion then you could also build like in normal modelbuilding. :classic:

yes, for purists this thread is senseless. and some things are possible with standard lego, but other things not. and there are custom parts make sense

How about a beam, its like a stud less beam but one has studs and clutches offset to the holes.

but it will be very useful because they can be stacked with no external connections, I'm not sure if offset clutch holes are possible (those would be directly inline with the holes)

Edited by SNIPE

in this combination it would cost 10,69€

does anybody know if two parts became one part when they are placed like this?

674x501_1765562_2313853_1394220749.jpg

While I see (and agree with) the merits of the improvements you've made, I think MORE people would be more inclined to purchase a design that is very close to the original lego part ... The 'pull' that such parts exerts (imho) is not as much the need to connect two cylinders and increase stroke ... it's more like to get parts and be able to build an 8275. Lastly, I am not sure what Lego's position is regarding replicating parts that are not 'officially' terminated yet. One way around would be a design with a 'small' improvement ... aka ... the 'China' way.

Edited by DrJB

Purists have to know these pieces, to know where they are used if they are not visible and not go crazy with a MOC that does things we can´t do. I see this a lot in the machinery forums and they build impressive metal and plastic things.

I have a question about these custom parts....if you can pretty much create parts to fit the pin holes and axle holes on lego creations, would it be possible to make bodywork for a lego chassis?

I don't know if the software is complex enough, but I think some people would be interested in buying bodywork for certain kinds of vehicles. Of course it would be pretty expensive, though.

The 'pull' that such parts exerts (imho) is not as much the need to connect two cylinders and increase stroke ...

For me, at least, connecting two cylinders end to end is the only reason for me wanting this part. There is no way to do this compactly without those brackets, and lacking longer stroke cylinders, this really is a must for certain medium to large size pneumatic MOCs.

I have a question about these custom parts....if you can pretty much create parts to fit the pin holes and axle holes on lego creations, would it be possible to make bodywork for a lego chassis?

I don't know if the software is complex enough, but I think some people would be interested in buying bodywork for certain kinds of vehicles. Of course it would be pretty expensive, though.

I think 3D printing would be a bit britle for something like that. Vacuum moulding would be more sensible...

I might be the only one, but i think the current cylinder holding design is too bulky. I think it would be a lot more useful if the beams did not extend past the end of the circle. Looks spectacular otherwise!

tim

Here is a rough drawing with the holes, studs and clutches at the right scale to each other, the lines don't take up any space since the gap between lego bricks is so small. holes and studs are the same space as each other but half space round the edge of the liftarm.

Red is the studs and the bottom gaps guide where the clutches would roughly be, round recesses for the stud clutches would be best as it takes up the least area which makes it stronger. the bottom picture of the lift arm is more like a real side view since the clutches are centered

Note tht this is a 6 L but is not a thin liftarm, I say 8L would be more useful though

n2y0m0.jpg

This enables you to stack liftarms without using the holes with more connections but still allows for each stud hole to be 0L apart instead of 1 plate apart like on the old technic beams

Edited by SNIPE

Could you define bodywork more specific? Mudguards, bumpers, wings or full bodys?

Well I guess full bodies would be a bit unreasonable, so I guess spoilers, splitters, mudguards, bumpers, and especially rollcages would be great.

n2y0m0.jpg

If I may oversimplify this ... you're essentially asking for the old technic beams, but with 'rounded' ends, and possibly a smaller height ... correct?