Hello everyone,

recently I've decided to give a try to 3d printed custom Lego parts from Efferman. I would like to share my opinion about them.

Wheelholders in 8880 supercar style: They looked very promising in terms of durability for bigger torque. This occured to be true, the idea for hubs is very good, they can take quite big stress. But if you think of making realy strong semi-axis in independent suspension system, you need to use also this part on the other end of the swivel. Without using it, the hole semi-axis durability is dependent on CV joint :( Another disadventeges of this part are: smaller turning radius compered to Lego hubs and incompatibility with lego Technic Racing Small Wheel 43.2mm x 26mm :(

29007442096_24d38e11d4_q.jpg

Wheelholders touch the rims in 4 points, also when you put the wishbone. I suggest to make whole part wider, to match with Racing Small Rims.

Diff 3m 28Z 4 Bevel gears: For now it is working very good, I think it can take more torque than standard Lego differential.

Male Cv Joint 2,5 M: I was hoping them to be more durable than standard CV joint, but they proved to be less durable. They snap very easily, in the point where the head is joining the axle :( But they fit better between the hubs and female joints.

I hope my opinions are helpfull :)

Hey Efferman, would it be possible to get these two gears made for Technic with the larger one as like a digger wheel with gear teeth on the back of each bucket.

gears_by_lxblack-daebyg4.png

why not just make the small gear and a custom toothed bucket that would fit on the 42055 gear wheel thing

@Never - I'm no expert on custom printed part pricing but I'd expect such huge part to be really pricy. I'm not sure if this is the way to cut down the cost.

I would agree with krisandkris12 - printing would cost a lot. If the surface needs to be flat maybe you could look into cutting the pieces from plastic sheet?

Where do you even get plastic sheet?

If It's broken up so that the piece is one bucket then that's affordable but then there'd be no way to attach it to the bar. Resolve that problem for me and I'll just do that ok?

Maybe I don't get correctly what you are trying to achieve, but trying to make such complicated gear contraption from buckets seems crazy. It would be interesting and effective if it worked eventually, but it is neither logical nor efficient solution if you just want functional bucket wheel. As such, I would recommend copying the gear rack pieces from the new BWE set and printing these, plus maybe the buckets (or use some older lego buckets).

glad to be of service! good luck!

also in response to kris, you may be right in a sense, but sometimes it's fun to try something unique, even if there are much more efficient ways to go about it. personally I actually agree with you, and I would look for a mechanical solution, but if everyone thought like that, we wouldn't have cool unique stuff like this! also, someone has to empty their wallet for our entertainment :wink:

See this thread for how a built up bucket wheel can be constructed using standard non modified lego parts except for the 8 hole wheel hub from Efferman, he designed for me.

http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=130443

Maybe it can be enlarged to use larger buckets.

Edited by Doug72

sometimes it's fun to try something unique, even if there are much more efficient ways to go about it. personally I actually agree with you, and I would look for a mechanical solution, but if everyone thought like that, we wouldn't have cool unique stuff like this! also, someone has to empty their wallet for our entertainment :wink:

Completely true :) Only I thought that @Never seeked for cheap and efficient way rather than some unique contraption :) But if it's not the case, I have nothing but thumbs up for the non-standard solution! :D I wouldn't personally attempt this, as I'd expect to much trouble having such crazy gears to mesh properly, but if anyone would, it's great.

I have a gear generator these gears do mesh and work. And it's a mix of reasons. I don't think I can afford a set that big if I'm only using some parts, I want this specific version, I like the color options on Shapeways etc. But the amount of debating about whether or not I should get this part made is going to put me off getting the part. So maybe I'll just stick with designing custom droid parts.

But the amount of debating about whether or not I should get this part made is going to put me off getting the part. So maybe I'll just stick with designing custom droid parts.

Really? Was the amount of debating actually that disgusting? I just shared my opinion about this, so did others. That's what you should expect on the forum right? :) I'm curious about what Efferman would think, I hope he will check this soon. Though by any mean I didn't mean to discourage you. I just said I didn't think it's beneficial but hey, you may know better than I do, that's actually quite likely since you have custom part experience - I do not :) So don't let yourself be put off just because there were few skeptical comments :D

well maybe now that it's here, someone else might try it? who knows...

Hi guys! Sorry if writing in a wrong theme, but can't find any better.

Does anybody know how to eject http://rebrickable.com/parts/92909 hub from this http://rebrickable.com/parts/11950 portal?

Use a butter knife from the external part of the hub ( put the knife between the two pieces and gently push util it pops out ) Edited by LXF

Use a butter knife from the external part of the hub ( put the knife between the two pieces and gently push util it pops out )

Thanks for your advice but I can't cope with that. Maybe you have a video?

Thanks for your advice but I can't cope with that. Maybe you have a video?

By Crowkillers :

this part was printed with a method which works like an inkjet. you should search for laser sintered nylon. then the Quality will be better. but its nice to see that the leaf spring works

Hi efferman

I am building a Land-Rover Series IIa (a copy of my real life car). For that project I need some leaf springs that should be larger. The Land-Rover has different sizes front and back. For my project I need two springs 13 L and two springs 19 L.

I would love to get your design in those sizes. :-)

Best regards

Per Møller Olsen, Denmark