We need UV joints that dont slip off the axles and that dont crack. I dont know if LEGO will make something, a CV joint is too long and does not have much flex. Also a UV joint with a fixed 3 L axle on one side instead of an axle hole would be cool because it can fit in tight spaces, the 3L axle just goes to the diferential.

Edited by SNIPE

We need UV joints that dont slip off the axles and that dont crack.

Maybe one machined out of metal? How much do you think it would cost to have a standard 3L U-joint made that way? Does Shapeways do machining/milling of metal? Made of for example stainless steel, it would be strong enough to withstand a LOT of punishment :thumbup::classic:

Or does anyone on this forum have access to a high end mill or machining center? :grin:

Dont forget that you have to assemble the u joints.

Snipe, a crossaxle instead of the crosshole. This i have tried and it is not solid enough

Dont forget that you have to assemble the u joints.

Very true, didn't think that far ahead :blush: But do you know how they do their metal work? I know you can order custom jewelry and stuff, but I imagine they are cast in one way or another.. Do you know if they do machining?

I am very impressed by the work you do for the Lego community and I thank you.

Currently, the maximum size of the racks is 13M. It would be great is there was a rack of 26 M.

The same as the 64781. Do you think it could be possible to do this rack ?

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Edited by oracid

Hi Efferman

Friend of mine pointed me in the direction of thompson coupling

have you tried doing that with the 3D printing Its a great alternative to U Joints or even CV joints. Just don't know how doable it is. It looks to be a complex mechanism.

CV joints on Wiki has a section and some technical pics of it also of course Google produces tons.

Just a thought I know lots of the trail truck guys would love it.

it's the holes in the UV joints that break, the centre bit is fine. some axle holes on lego pieces are quite hard to push an axle in so maybe a UV joint can have this too, though it means having an accurate milling machine.

For example this piece: 57585.gif is harder to push an axle into, and i'm sure ive seen harder pieces as well., the outsites of the UV joint should not be like a double bush but more like the very old red UV joints or the CV joints.

Edited by SNIPE

Sorry for not answering, but iam actually on the dark side of the moon. And there is absolutely no internet in next three weeks.

Oracid, theoreticly this is absolutely no problem, unfortunately i have actually only 24 hours at home per week. i will look what i can do.

Dafgek, you are speculating for a rim like this?

6704820795_d331b1ca9a_m.jpg

alien, the small balls are not successfully printable in lego scale.

Snipe, my heavy duty u joints are like the old red ones

Edited by efferman

Efferman....is it possible to make flat tiles with a curve on each end?

Same type of curve seen in a Technic beam:

32524.jpg?0

Flat tile:

2431.jpg?1

So a flat tile with a curve on both ends, and another version with a curve on one end.

In lengths 1x2 - 1x16.....is it possible?

like the old steering plates?

If you mean these old parts then no:

32124.jpg?0

I mean....kinda....the old steering plates have the curve at each end....but i just want them 100% flat on the top surface.

The reason i want them is as you can see with modern Technic beams there is a curve on each end, wheni add a flat tile each end is square not curved to match the Techanic beam.

Hi

Since I have seen your topic, I Am very interested in 3D printing.

I was wondering, in Shapeways site, I don't see nylon material.

I Can see Detailed Plastic, Elasto Plastic, Frosted Detail Plastic etc... but nothing about nylon.

I guess the real name is not nylon. Can you tell me what is the exactly name of the material you are using.

Thank you in advance.

Ah, the trilex wheel system. I love the looks of the trilex rims on old trucks. Makes them look so tough.

TRILEX_Wheelspider_with_TRILEX_Rim.jpg

I was thinking of something like this

53533.jpg

but shorter. This way I can fit it into a small LA to use with a U-joint.

Something to this effect....

concept%202.JPG

OR

concept%201.JPG