As promised, some images of the U500 covers, painted and mounted.

cacKNty.png

A short review:

- As mentioned, the size of the axle hole needed to be increased slightly to fit on an axle. You will need a set of small hand files for this.

- The texture of the surface is grainy, typical for a 3D printed part made with this particular technique. I sanded them lightly with 400 grit sandpaper.

- I spray painted the covers, but I'm not too happy with the finish: 2 came out matte (as intended), two ended up glossy. I blame the spray paint, which was a left-over.

- They fit perfect on the 8110, I played around with the offset (as shown in the image) and settled with a 1 stud offset to get as close to the look of a real U500 as possible.

- Compared to the real deal, the covers could get some more definition: the ring could stick out a bit more, slightly curved background would be nice and a recess in the centre of the cover. Google some images, you will see what I mean. That said, my 8110 look much better with the covers (ignore the WIP tilting bed).

- The covers are 1/2 stud thick, I would prefer the mounting point to be 1 stud thick, similar to the Lego covers.

The verdict:

These covers are a really nice addition to anyone's 8110 if your not scared of a little bit of handy work. Worth buying!

Edited by Cumulonimbus

Thanks for the review...

The covers look great. Hmmm, maybe I have to order them, too...

I painted my U406 covers today. I think that I'm able to post some pictures tomorrow...

Pat

thanks for the pictures, i have made black material available so that pinting is not neccesarry for black rims. the thickness of a half stud i want hold, to let the adjusting be possible, for the overall look i will look what you mean.

edit: i know what you want say

Edited by efferman

Hi Efferman, yes, that could work. I'm not really sure if all my suggestions even fit in a separate cover. The image below shows a bit what I have in mind:

1709_1.jpg

The centre of the rim is deeper than the ring which protects the bolts. There seems to be some details inside this recess as well, but I can't find good images, anyone here has an U500 at home? :wink:

As said, I can image that this isn't feasible in a cover, since you need room for the axle hole. My guess is that a cover with these features could become 1 and 1/2 stud thick, three times the current version. This might reduce the flexibility you want. I could draw you a cross-section if you want.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

you should keep in mind that the rim in your post is for a narrow tire, the 8110 rim is more a wide tire. whats the opinion of other people?

Hi folks and best efferman,

here you go. The painted covers for the U406.

There's nothing to add to the review of cumulonimbus. I mounted the covers with one half stud bush, so they come a little more out. Compared to the "old" version with the 6x6 dishes it looks way better.

Here are pictures:

U406_cover_mounted_efferman_01.JPG

U406_cover_mounted_efferman_02.JPG

U406_cover_mounted_efferman_03.JPG

Pat

For the quick connector, is the spacing enough on the end that an axle will slide in? I would love to have this part if it works out.

tim

The cutout is exaktly 4,8mm. It should fit without problems. But wait with an order, i havevan idea to make coupling easier

Edited by efferman

someone, polo-freak to be exact, has asked about a countach style wheel cover

Many Thanks efferman, Dreams come true :thumbup:

Order now, and my Technic Countach is happy :wub:

Hi stefan,

here are pictures with black rims...

U406_cover_mounted_black_rim_efferman_01.JPG

U406_cover_mounted_black_rim_efferman_02.JPG

U406_cover_mounted_black_rim_efferman_03.JPG

But I prefer the grey ones... Or maybe I'll paint the whole rims red.

@efferman: is it possible that the parts on shapeways are also available in polished black?

Thanks

Pat

Edited by Pat-Ard

polished black is unfortunately not in the visible options. maybe when you contact them during the ordering process they can throw them into the polishing machine.

edit: i have made black detail available. the surface should more smooth, but the price is roundabout the double of the white and strong unpolished.

Edited by efferman

How could we use this new ,from efferman, rim for the 49.5x20 wheels in combine with the part of 42000 steeringhub and insert for a steering mechanism in a model like the 42024?

I could need som help with this.

Edited by scooby136

i dont have ordered this colours, so i dont know how good they match.

edit, how about a panel like the curved 3x2x11 panels but in 5x3x5 ?

What about 3x2x5 ? Those small panels will be good for small models

Edited by rm8

rm8, no problem

scooby this is how it looks mounted, ok, its a raw sketch of the 42000 wheel hub

13188389405_fac6d0f4c1_z.jpg

495x20 sixhole sketch von efferman auf Flickr

edit:

done:

674x501_1787513_2368110_1394973031.jpg

btw: the medium turntable is now available for shopping. needs some rotations, then it works smooth

Edited by efferman

should be possible, but first at next weekend. i have to go on the way.

the new steering part of 42021 snowmobile has unfortunately a bad steering angle, so i have designed this

674x501_1787694_2368569_1394981701.jpg

what do you think about it?

edit:

a different angle

13192694763_a8ccab8549_z.jpg

steering hub von efferman auf Flickr

Edited by efferman