just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

They should have included an armored elf in MEA, and then reused that in the BOFA set instead of Legolas. That would have made MEA more accurate, since we have seen no elf wearing a hood in the Hobbit movies so far, and we saw the armored elves in action in DOS at the water gate, and will again in the next movie.

Edited by greenalfonzo

Here are my opinions on the three leaked sets. I cant Im eager to buy them. I liked many of the ideas in this thread suggesting alternate fig placements that would have kept the amount of molds and prints, but here we are. Im kind of counting on official pictures to bring put more of the positives of the sets.

Witch-king Battle: OK set. Not too keen on elves, which dampens my enthusiasm for Elrond and Galadriel. The WK himself looks cool though. And a few nice masonry bricks. Disappointed that the elvish sword is still golden.

Attack on Lake Town: a nice add-on to LTC, or a great parts pack, but not that exciting as a set (maybe Smaug would have helped). I dont mind a second old Bard, the print is useful for a generic civilian. And Tauriel is also understandable, since she last appeared in the first wave. At least she is a new variant. Bains hair is weird, I wonder whether the skywalker hair is retired or why they didnt use that. Not to mention a darker color. I hope his torso is nice (the one reason Im not calling for his replacement or exclusion). The Orc hairpieces are nice too, it will be easier to make Narzug. I cant help thinking Bolg would fit right in this set instead of one of the Orcs.

TBot5A: Well.. at least we get all five armies as PJ defined them (I insist the wargs are the fifth army in the book). What we see of the structure is underwhelming, but Ill reserve final judgement until we see all of it - we might still be looking at a nice ruined house. The ballista looks like a weird and nonsensical addition at this point, but if it is in the movie, I wont complain.

As for the figs, Im as disappointed as anybody about not getting any generic soldiers. That said, Thorin looks great and Dain looks OK so far, though Im not keen on his trans-red axe and I hope the plume is detachable from his helmet. His hair at least appears to be lighter than Dwalins dark brown. I think the addition of Legolas is kind of undestandable, as he wasnt in the 2nd wave of Hobbit sets, and it makes sets to put him in this wave as one of the main heroes. Shame he couldnt have another print though. Azog is also understandable, to make him available in a cheaper set than DGB. And he has to have his showdown with Thorin, though i would have put them both into the Erebor set, canon or not. At least he has an alt face. Orcs could have had hair, but i guess thats to draw the buyers to the lake town set. I dont think theres another creature in the set, though there still might be something brick-built, like a spider or a giant bat or whatever creature PJ will add to the Orc army. But I think the rest of the box just has Bard and Legolas aiming their bow in a kooky action pose, or running to Thorins and Dains aid or falling through a trap door or something.

Interesting that a lot of people do not like the inclusion of Bain. At least he is a new main character, and he may very well have a role to play in the movie. Since the sets are made for kids, would they not want to have him? After reading many of the posts, it makes sense that Lego would go with main characters rather than to give you a generic army type. Although, I think there is still no excuse to have 2 Bards in this wave. And Legolas in BOFA, that is just plain terrible. My worst case scenario included mains for the good guys and Azog bumping out Bolg, but even I was not pessimistic enough to predict the Legolas thing. It just seems like Thranduil is going to be more memorable among the elf faction unless PJ really screws that up somehow.

Definitely wasn't expecting Legolas in BoFA especially in his inaccurate attire. I had a suspicion we would get a new print legolas or reused LOTR print. Just so disappointing no Armored Thranduil, no Mirkwood Palace Guards, no Mirkwood Elf Silver Knights (seen in trailer), no Mirkwood Elf Golden Soldiers who we have seen since the very beginning prologue of AuJ. A true travesty because certainly Thranduil will have a hero moment.

The saddest part will be seeing literally thousands of Mirkwood Soliders adorn in glittering mail and tall elegant helms and knowing I'll never see their kind in Lego form. Amazingly the Elves as we have seen in pics and trailers will outnumber the men of Dale, Thorin's folk and Dain's Dwarves of the Iron Hills and yet somehow the Iron Hills are more important in the story to some.

My thoughts:

Witch-King Battle:

The rock thingy goes with the rest of Dol Guldur, which is quite good.

Of all of them except for Erebor, this one has the best selection of minifigures. Elrond looks amazing, at least as good as the Prologue version. Galadriel is also incredible, even if she didn't get a new hair piece. I'm also glad we finally get a twilight Nazgul, it looks great. My only complaint is that his sword isn't glow in the dark. :cry_sad:

Lake Town:

Like everyone else, I wish we had gotten Bolg with this set. The structure will go well with the rest of Lake Town.

I expected this version of Bard to be the one we already have, but we ended getting a new face print. Tauriel also looks good, as does Bain's torso. I'll be giving him longer legs, as the short ones look kinda stupid. I also might swap out the hair piece. The orcs: I don't mind them using the mordor orcs, and although the hair looks good, TLG probably could have found a better piece to make.

Note on Bain's height: In the video game, he is given short legs and Sigrid is given long legs, when he is the same height as older sister. Wierd.

BoFA

The ballista looks really wicked. I'll save my judgement on the structure till we see all of it.

Dain's head looks massive! I'm glad we're getting blue coat Bard, and Snarling Azog and King Thorin are also quite welcome. As much as I would have liked to see a new Legolas, the minifigure might just be accurate to the scene. If you watch the trailer, there are some shots of him is his guard uniform.

If anyone listened, thanks for doing so.

I doubt many AFOLs are going to purchase an expensive $60 set multiple times for army building

- the current price of " urukai army " = 45.5 $ , and this is for a set costing 29.99 at start

army builders sell , of course they need soldiers to army build , u cannot make a Legolas army , or a Bard army , or Azog army ... well maybe a Gandalf army :)

Edited by agent76484

I feel exactly the same. Unthinkable before An Unexpected Journey, the non-dwarf action has become my favourite part of the movie. To me, these segments represent a much-needed break from the fast-paced onslaught of dwarven silliness. I'm simply a fan of the darker, more serious tone. It's almost as if a glimpse of the Lord of the Rings shines into the Hobbit movies.

Funny, I felt the same as both of you. "This Smaug chase is boring, get back to the intrigue of Dol Guldur!"

The saddest part will be seeing literally thousands of Mirkwood Soliders adorn in glittering mail and tall elegant helms and knowing I'll never see their kind in Lego form.

Maybe some yellow skinned ones, in time.

Despite only getting the ranger type of generic elf in MEA, that was better than anything else non-orcish provided for army building. 1 generic Rohan soldier. 1 generic Laketown soldier.

I doubt many AFOLs are going to purchase an expensive $60 set multiple times for army building when over two thirds of the set is named characters. And really this is my issue with everyone wishing the Bo5A set was an army builder, or at least had more generic troops. What's it matter if it did? So we get one generic dwarf soldier and/or one generic elf soldier in a $60 set with four or five named characters? Army building them would be near impossible for cheap (they would easily fetch $8+ on Bricklink.. the Rohan Soldier in a set half that price was $4 at it's cheapest). I dunno about you guys, but I don't think there's much you can do with one soldier. Sure they might look cool, but I would rather get a main character given the choice between one generic dwarf soldier or Dain.

The Mirkwood Elf Army set is where I think Lego really missed their opportunity. They finally give us a primarily good guy army build, but it's loaded with boring soldiers. Lego could/should have given us at least one armored elf in the MEA set, but preferably two. It would of made the set SO much more appealing than loading it with those green hooded elves. Would it be movie accurate? Maybe not, but the whole set is based on scenes and characters not even in the movie so who cares? I know personally the only big selling feature of MEA for me was the brown warg. If it hadn't had that, I probably would of only bought two or three tops. Lego should have definitely given us an armored elf soldier or two and some orc hair/ear pieces and that set would of been a knock out. Then the could of had more room in wave three to focus on the Iron Hill Dwarf soldiers and maybe the armored orcs and humans.

And that my friend, is why Bricklink excists

Smaug seems to be an exact replica of the one in the video game, so for children and for me as well I think that is perfect.

Interesting that a lot of people do not like the inclusion of Bain. At least he is a new main character, and he may very well have a role to play in the movie. Since the sets are made for kids, would they not want to have him? After reading many of the posts, it makes sense that Lego would go with main characters rather than to give you a generic army type. Although, I think there is still no excuse to have 2 Bards in this wave. And Legolas in BOFA, that is just plain terrible. My worst case scenario included mains for the good guys and Azog bumping out Bolg, but even I was not pessimistic enough to predict the Legolas thing. It just seems like Thranduil is going to be more memorable among the elf faction unless PJ really screws that up somehow.

We also saw Bain fight in the BTS, i think he will play a good role in 3

And 2 Bard's they are different. Bard in Lake-Town is burned and Bard in Bo5a has new armour

Definitely wasn't expecting Legolas in BoFA especially in his inaccurate attire. I had a suspicion we would get a new print legolas or reused LOTR print. Just so disappointing no Armored Thranduil, no Mirkwood Palace Guards, no Mirkwood Elf Silver Knights (seen in trailer), no Mirkwood Elf Golden Soldiers who we have seen since the very beginning prologue of AuJ. A true travesty because certainly Thranduil will have a hero moment.

The saddest part will be seeing literally thousands of Mirkwood Soliders adorn in glittering mail and tall elegant helms and knowing I'll never see their kind in Lego form. Amazingly the Elves as we have seen in pics and trailers will outnumber the men of Dale, Thorin's folk and Dain's Dwarves of the Iron Hills and yet somehow the Iron Hills are more important in the story to some.

Can the dwarves have their special moment? Elves had enough. :grin:

Bard is fine, we don't need his family.

They'll die anyway :snicker:

So i was wondering, is Thorin's hair the same hair he always had just with a crown? or is it a new mold?

Or better box view...Maybe on the back of the box there is Thorin turning his back to us? I hope Djordje made new one! :laugh:

Been gone for a while, out of curiosity is there a link to the pictures everyone's talking about, or have they since been taken down?

So i was wondering, is Thorin's hair the same hair he always had just with a crown? or is it a new mold?

Hard to tell. Looks like a new hair design mold too. Makes sense since the crown keeps the hair in place.

Just realized Aragorn, King of Gondor didn't even get a crown mold in LOTR Lego but Thorin does. Definitely proves that Hobbit had better resources.

Been gone for a while, out of curiosity is there a link to the pictures everyone's talking about, or have they since been taken down?

My Flickr :wink:

Or better box view...Maybe on the back of the box there is Thorin turning his back to us? I hope Djordje made new one! :laugh:

I hope too!

Hard to tell. Looks like a new hair design mold too. Makes sense since the crown keeps the hair in place.

Just realized Aragorn, King of Gondor didn't even get a crown mold in LOTR Lego but Thorin does. Definitely proves that Hobbit had better resources.

It looks very very awesome, and indeed i think it's a new mold too. sweet since i always loved Thorin's hair mold!

I'm so excited :grin_wub:

Oh and i think this really points to a new LOTR wave, new Orc Hair, Crowned hairpiece's, a witch king, Galadriel?

I think LEGO want's to tell us something...

Or just lucky situation...I bet on that, even if I want to have another wave...

Maybe Thorin has some grey hair on his mold? That would be great! :laugh:

There was no reason for Aragorn to have a crown mold though. The only time he ever wore one was at the end of ROTK during the coronation, and the only chance we'd have of seeing a minifigure in that costume would be in a Minas Tirith set.

I don't think Bards family will die, because after Bards death Bain becomes king of Dale.

And people wouldn't like it if the sisters died.

Edited by Jason7189

- the current price of " urukai army " = 45.5 $ , and this is for a set costing 29.99 at start

army builders sell , of course they need soldiers to army build , u cannot make a Legolas army , or a Bard army , or Azog army ... well maybe a Gandalf army :)

Yes but UHA was $29.99 MSRP when it was first released. It included 6 minifigures and 5 of them (all but one), were grunt soldiers. The Bo5A set is $60, only has 1 more minifigure, and it has 5 named characters and only 2 soldiers. Even if Legolas was replaced with a Mirkwood Elf Soldier, and Bard with an Iron Hill Dwarf Soldier, that would still be only 4 soldiers and 3 named characters. There isn't much multi-purchase appeal to the set with that many named characters. It should have 1, maybe 2 named characters tops if it were to be any sort of army builder.

Amazingly the Elves as we have seen in pics and trailers will outnumber the men of Dale, Thorin's folk and Dain's Dwarves of the Iron Hills and yet somehow the Iron Hills are more important in the story to some.

The Hobbit is mainly about the dwarves so it makes sense people are most concerned with getting Iron Hill soldiers. Also, there are several sets which could have include armored elves... a DoS Mirkwood set, a LotR prologue set, Lothlorien Elves at Helm's Deep, etc. There really aren't any dwarven armies ever shown in PJs versions though. LotR is nearly void of any dwarves, much less armies, except dead ones and Gimli (and Gloin at the Council). There were SUPPOSED to be dwarves in the prologue, but PJ chose not to show them. Really the only time we have or will see a dwarven army is in the Bo5A.

And that my friend, is why Bricklink excists

Yes, but as I said the soldiers would easily fetch $8 a pop on BrickLink. That's almost triple what a normal minifigure cost. That makes building any sort of substantial army nearly impossible unless you have LOADs of cash. I would want at least 20-30 of each soldier but that would cost me almost $500 bucks. I could buy the entire third Hobbit wave two times over for that price. Army building them wouldn't be practical at all.

Edited by Deathleech

I don't think Bards family will die, because after Bards death Bain becomes king of Dale.

And people wouldn't like it if the sisters died.

We also didn't like that *spoiler* *spoiler* and *spoiler* died :sceptic:

Yes, but as I said the soldiers would easily fetch $8 a pop on BrickLink. That's almost triple what a normal minifigure cost. That makes building any sort of substantial army nearly impossible unless you have LOADs of cash. I would want at least 20-30 of each soldier but that would cost me almost $500 bucks. I could buy the entire third Hobbit wave two times over for that price. Army building them wouldn't be practical at all.

Can't you be happy with at least 10 of them?

I'll be gettin the Bo5A set later this day, I know we are not allowed to post pictures, however I'll let you know a few details as soon as I have it in my hands

I'll be gettin the Bo5A set later this day, I know we are not allowed to post pictures, however I'll let you know a few details as soon as I have it in my hands

Are you only getting Bo5A? Thanks in advance for the details!

Wait, so you are getting the set, and can open it? If you can, say if there is something on back of instruction...And, say what are Legolas and Bard doing up there...Details please! :grin: (just joking, tell us everything you can, but take your time). And you dont have to tell us every detail if its hard for you, if we waited 5 months, we can wait anther month...