just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

I think the one thing thats throwing me off most about this set is Dwalin's axe. Why is it green and gold? It just seems too colourful and magical, and doesn't feel right within the rest of the set.

I also can't think of any Middle Earth-material it could be made of as an excuse.

But hey: Trans-Dark Green Axe pieces, so we got that going for us. I will use that for Fantasy figures and make an enchanted axe.

Does this mean that we're going to get all of the dwarves again in the third wave (just like in the first wave), or just the more important ones? It's kind of funny... of all of the 13 dwarves available, LEGO chose to put Fili and Kili in this set even though they were two of the only dwarves who weren't in this scene in the movie. You'd expect them to be put in the upcoming $30 Lake Town set.

Will I be buying this set? Probably not. Smaug looks great, but I don't like the new printings on the minifigures, plus it's about $30 too expensive. It's interesting how they used Chi to make the Arkenstone, though.

The figs do look a lot better now that I can see them close up. I'm sort of disappointed that Bilbo's legs don't have Hobbit feet, as LEGO has shown that they could've done with a few figures, such as Rocket here: BN-DS092_rocket_GR_20140715173809.jpg

Still, it's a decent set and I'll probably end up getting it when it goes on sale.

I think the one thing thats throwing me off most about this set is Dwalin's axe. Why is it green and gold? It just seems too colourful and magical, and doesn't feel right within the rest of the set.

As I said earlier, could the axe be made from a special mineral, so it is green in the movie? i don't know, but that is the only reasonable explanation I have.

After seeing the video I think Smaug is fantastic with the ball jointed head and base of the neck plus the wings makes this a very pose able figure but I do think we need the gate with the huge stone dwarves as it is such an iconic scene whether gets in a UCS set or normal set we have to have it as would complete Erebor in my opinion.

Or the fact it looks like transgreen, is it something preliminary that will still change! Hopefuly.

Or the fact it looks like transgreen, is it something preliminary that will still change! Hopefuly.

There is a 0% chance of any of this still being prelim. I have no issue with the green axe, I actually quite like it. I'm just curious what it will be like in the film, and why trans green was the choice LEGO made.

Edited by Fives

There is a 0% chance of any of this still being prelim. I have no issue with the green axe, I actually quite like it. I'm just curious what it will be like in the film, and why trans green was the choice LEGO made.

It might have been based on some artwork? We've seen it before, countless times... I, personally, quite like it. What was good about the first wave was that the majority of the dwarves got their own personal weapons. Again, this sort've reiterates that point.

It might have been based on some artwork? We've seen it before, countless times... I, personally, quite like it. What was good about the first wave was that the majority of the dwarves got their own personal weapons. Again, this sort've reiterates that point.

Not only that, but it seems that both Balin and Dwalin have matching weapons and armour, meaning they must've found these sets of weaponry while rummaging through the armouries while preparing for the battle, like in the book. So it could just be that the axe was crafted to match the armour its meant to go with, same with Balin's big red mace.

Not only that, but it seems that both Balin and Dwalin have matching weapons and armour, meaning they must've found these sets of weaponry while rummaging through the armouries while preparing for the battle, like in the book. So it could just be that the axe was crafted to match the armour its meant to go with, same with Balin's big red mace.

That is probably so and I have no big problem with it (I superlike their outfits and Balins mace looks like a killer as dark red) but there is other green colors to be used then transgreen.

But we have to wait for the movie (or trailer and images were we would see that axe) and see what it looks like and what kind of axe it is suppose to be.

Does this mean that we're going to get all of the dwarves again in the third wave (just like in the first wave), or just the more important ones? It's kind of funny... of all of the 13 dwarves available, LEGO chose to put Fili and Kili in this set even though they were two of the only dwarves who weren't in this scene in the movie. You'd expect them to be put in the upcoming $30 Lake Town set.

We're just getting the important ones this time. Thorin aside this is probably the only set thats going to feature any dwarves which is why we're getting Kili and Fili here rather than Lake-Town. That set is already going to feature Bard and Bain - probably the new Tauriel from the video game as well. Then you have all the other characters to consider between Lake-Town and the Battle of Five Armies like Thorin, Dain, Gandalf, Bear Beorn, Bolg, Thranduil, Legolas etc. It doesn't leave much room for the other dwarves.

I really wish that other building they show in the lego.com movie from LakeTown was a set. Really good, but no way it fits in with the pricing structure of the upcoming sets :/

Edited by dranguish

We're just getting the important ones this time. Thorin aside this is probably the only set thats going to feature any dwarves which is why we're getting Kili and Fili here rather than Lake-Town. That set is already going to feature Bard and Bain - probably the new Tauriel from the video game as well. Then you have all the other characters to consider between Lake-Town and the Battle of Five Armies like Thorin, Dain, Gandalf, Bear Beorn, Bolg, Thranduil, Legolas etc. It doesn't leave much room for the other dwarves.

I really don't expect to see Legolas or Tauriel again. And I hope we don't.

I really don't expect to see Legolas or Tauriel again. And I hope we don't.

Legolas could go either way depending on whether Lego wants to include a fan favourite for casual consumers much like we see with Gandalf all the time. But Tauriel I think there's a strong chance based on her alternate costume in the game, which looks a lot more authentic as a minifigure than the other Lake-Town characters.

Tauriel_lk.png

After seeing the video I think Smaug is fantastic with the ball jointed head and base of the neck plus the wings makes this a very pose able figure but I do think we need the gate with the huge stone dwarves as it is such an iconic scene whether gets in a UCS set or normal set we have to have it as would complete Erebor in my opinion.

I agree big time with the gate and dwarf statues! I don't get why they weren't included.

I agree big time with the gate and dwarf statues! I don't get why they weren't included.

Maybe we could see those in the Five Armies set. It would give a substantial build to a heavy figure focused concept.

If you have read the book you would know Fili and Kili play a pretty big role in the Battle of Five Armies. It seems Lego was trying to cover two scenes with this set.. the fight against Smaug and the dwarves preparing for the Bo5A, hence their "battle gear".

As I said earlier, could the axe be made from a special mineral, so it is green in the movie? i don't know, but that is the only reasonable explanation I have.

I'm guessing it's some kind of with emerald blades or something that they found in the treasure? It definetly is something Peter Jackson made up.

FBTB is reporting that Bard is indeed a preview figure from someone who got him. Nobody run off to Ebay yet.

http://www.fbtb.net/...ive-minifigure/

You are like the third or fourth person to link this in the past two pages. Yes, Bard is almost certainly not an exclusive. There is the different stamp on his packaging that doesn't say exclusive like the other exclusives do, the report before the comic con not listing him as an exclusive, and now the insider reports he will be released later in a set. I think it's pretty much safe to say at this point Bard is NOT an exclusive in any way. He is little more than a preview figure like last years Azog.

Edited by Deathleech

Maybe we could see those in the Five Armies set. It would give a substantial build to a heavy figure focused concept.

I never thought of that, that's a great idea, and I think a possible one as well. Hopefully you are right!

Anyone have any ideas when we may see the other sets? If they are out in October we shouldn't have to wait too long right?

Edited by coolguy2323

I never thought of that, that's a great idea, and I think a possible one as well. Hopefully you are right!

Anyone have any ideas when we may see the other sets? If they are out in October we shouldn't have to wait too long right?

I'd say next month at some point.

I just don't know what to think of this set. I like Smaug and Bilbo (even though he doesn't have a new face print. I mean come on.), but i'm just so disappointed about the build. It had so much promise back when we first heard descriptions. I expected a huge set, so the price point was like a dream for me. Now I see it, and ugh. It doesn't even have enough sand green to make anything better out of it.

Mid August :) like 19-20

If Smaug is only going to be in a $130 set, I wonder what sort of conflict they're going to put in the Lake Town set (which I originally thought was going to be based on the scene where Bard kills Smaug, but that probably won't be the case). Depending on how the movie is going to play out, they might add some orcs, or even just a Lake Town guard or two (I doubt that we'll be seeing the Master again).