Sign in to follow this  
JP911

Hi - New to the forum and a story with a somewhat sad ending.

Hi,

This is a reflection on how this community has changed - I used to be a huge Train nut back in the day!

I have a pretty big collection right now, I started collecting back in 2001. It was much harder to find others who were into lego (No forums I knew of, slow computer, ect) But I remember using Brickshelf a lot. Browsed a lot for inspiration. Once I moved to my new place, I never unpacked the lego - to be honest I pretty much just lost interest because of how much I was working. Recently, I found the old boxes and wow, the memories that it brought back. But the passion left. I opened it up and sorted through everything - and after doing some research I have decided to put it up for sale. It would help with my current financial situation, and I feel like letting these beautiful trains collect dust is a crime. It would be better to put it back into the community and have others enjoy what I did.

Anyway long story short, its crazy how much the internet has grown and how it has brought people much closer together in a way not possible before. I only found you guys because of my research of what the lego market is like.

I have listed some of my trains on Ebay already - some I know that are rare and close to my heart! (10020 with a custom B unit!) but it breaks my heart more seeing them covered in dust.

This isn't a for sale ad, but just wanted to say goodbye to a community I never really met and wish I had back then. Now on to my question-

Here are some of the following I have. It is all 9v

Straight track -36

curved track - 52

Switch 4

Cross 1

Couplers (old style 9v) 14

Boogie Plates 11

End rails (6 wide ones from train sets) 10

Motor (no side pieces) 1

side pieces for motor black6 grey2

wheels black24 grey7

base plates 7

Also have random parts from 10020 and some 2x1 metallic grill bricks from santa fe cars

I also have quite a lot of sets including a complete Santa Fe collection, Myowntrain, ect. but those are easier to find prices for. If people are interested I can post everything or PM after I get to 10 posts but I don't want this to be a forsale ad. I just want to know the market value and I can react accordingly!

Heres a link to images for your viewing pleasure :) http://imgur.com/a/otujP

And reading up on the 10027 Train Shed - people mentioned something about Grey and Bluy Grey. What is everyone freaking out about, I only remember one color of grey.

My main question is how much is this stuff worth? Is 9v still popular? Or has the new system improved?

Hope this post didn't offend any mods - like I said I am and will not be posting any for sale stuff here. Hope you guys can help me out.

Great collection, bricklink will still tell you what it's worth (expensive?) and for serious train builders 9v track still seems superior (even if those around here probably already have gathered a lot)

Sets like the Maersk train probably brought in new people into trains and this summer there ate new train sets so there will always be someone new looking forolder sets...

Greetings! I don't collect trains, nor do I know much about them, however, I can tell you a few things. Firstly, to answer your question about colour, Lego changed the colours of grey and brown in 2004, I think. At the time, it was met with extreme hostility, and the colours are widely known as bley or rown. Nowadays, people are fine, more or less, with the colour change. What it sounds like, not to get your hopes up, is that you've got a gold mine, particularly the Santa fe. 9V is held in high regard among AFOLS (Adult Fans Of Lego), the new Power Functions is good, but a lot of people love 9V and, if I remember correctly, anything that has "9V" in the title adds a lot, and I mean a lot, of money to the original set. Here's Bricklink's price guide for the straight track, ( http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=2865&colorID=10), and the curved track, (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=2867&colorID=10). In addition, just the windows on the Santa Fe cost between $15 to $33, each, for the whole train, if its the limited edition, between $215+ according to bricklink. As for your sets, here's a link to all 9V sets on Brickset. (http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Trains&subtheme=9%20V), from there you can figure out what they're worth, they have loads of features to show what the going price is, instructions, lots for sale on eBay etc. Other than that, I'll leave it to the professionals, they know a lot more than I, I'm sure somebody I'll post some better info, however, I hope that helped.

Howdy and welcome to Eurobricks! I'm sorry to hear you're selling you LEGO trains. :sad:

You may want to lower the price on the regulator and 10025 sets on eBay though; you can purchase the regulator and 10025 'new' for less.

Definitely check out BrickLink if you've not done so; you can get some great historical pricing.

Your 10027 Train Shed (great set!) looks to be the 'classic' Gray and Dark Gray. If you've recently purchased any LEGO, the new colors are Medium Stone Gray and Dark Stone Gray, respectively. To some the new colors appear to have a bluish hue which is why some call the colors light bluish gray and dark bluish gray.

I'm interested in your Santa Fe cars, My Own Train rolling stock, and track if you'd like to get in touch.

Good luck with your auctions!

Cheers from Claremore, OK USA! :classic:

Dave

DaveBey not sure how Id get in contact with you, I do not have full forum privileges so maybe wait until I have 10 posts under my belt. Or message me through the Ebay.

Greetings! I don't collect trains, nor do I know much about them, however, I can tell you a few things. Firstly, to answer your question about colour, Lego changed the colours of grey and brown in 2004, I think. At the time, it was met with extreme hostility, and the colours are widely known as bley or rown. Nowadays, people are fine, more or less, with the colour change. What it sounds like, not to get your hopes up, is that you've got a gold mine, particularly the Santa fe. 9V is held in high regard among AFOLS (Adult Fans Of Lego), the new Power Functions is good, but a lot of people love 9V and, if I remember correctly, anything that has "9V" in the title adds a lot, and I mean a lot, of money to the original set. Here's Bricklink's price guide for the straight track, ( http://www.bricklink...2865&colorID=10), and the curved track, (http://www.bricklink...2867&colorID=10). In addition, just the windows on the Santa Fe cost between $15 to $33, each, for the whole train, if its the limited edition, between $215+ according to bricklink. As for your sets, here's a link to all 9V sets on Brickset. (http://www.brickset....ns&subtheme=9 V), from there you can figure out what they're worth, they have loads of features to show what the going price is, instructions, lots for sale on eBay etc. Other than that, I'll leave it to the professionals, they know a lot more than I, I'm sure somebody I'll post some better info, however, I hope that helped.

Very helpful thanks.

Thanks for the information people! Very helpful.

After doing a bit more research Ive found that a few of the pieces from the Santa fe sets are quite rare. Here is a picture of what is left of the Santa Fes after I assembled the B unit.

As far as I know I have 3 of the rare circle windows (One is still floating around...), a few 2x3 grey piece with the radius found on top of all Santa Fe sets and two front windows which may be rare but the newer set has the same window with the darker tint.

http://imgur.com/a/QwBBh

Anyone who could expand on this information with prices would be very helpful - that is just from my own research.

And regarding My set 4561 Its not very complete so would it be better off parting out the motor (I see on ebay worth a lot) and parting out the cars and pieces? Or keep it all together and just sit on it for a while?

The Trans-Clear Panel 1 x 2 x 2 with Porthole Red Pattern are rare but not worth very much. The Light Gray ones (used in your B-Unit) are worth much more. The Red Windscreen 2 x 6 x 2 Train with Trans-Clear Glass is rare and worth a decent amount of money but I wouldn't say in high demand. The Light Gray Brick, Modified 2 x 3 with Curved Top appear to be in demand if the price is right.

9V train motors are always in demand. 4561 doesn't really command a premium but if everything's there and in good shape, you'll obviously get more than just the cost of the motor. The Black Train Base 6 x 34 Split-Level with Bottom Tubes are also worth something and are somewhat in demand.

Dave

Edited by DaveBey

Beautiful, you have all of the SantaFe stuff. The SantaFe train is on my wishlist, right after being able to afford it :laugh: . If in good condition, could be worth a small fortune.

Hello there!

I'm a fellow 9V/Santa Fe fan and and very interested in your collection as well as the 9V straight tracks and crossing. Can you email me at cmwcampbell-at-gmail-dot-com?

Best,

Chris

train shed will get you about 3-400 maybe more in old dark gray as parts are rare.

10027 Train Shed is $300 USD or under. I've seen 'new' on eBay for just over $300 USD but that was a last year or so; I've not looked recently.

Dave

Nine volt is not popular, no-one likes it, everybody above is lying about being fans, it's not worth it's weight in plastic, you should just give it to me :devil:

But like others have said, browsing Bricklink can give you a good idea of average retails for your parts. Some obviously list them at a very high premium, but probably have little to no bites. Best of luck with your venture, sorry to hear the your passion was lost. Nice Santa Fe collection, BTW. Personally, I'd at least hold on to your Santa Fe engine and B-Unit, for sentimental reasons. There have been many on here who decided to sell their collection, for whatever reason, only to regret selling all of it, or a few particular sets :classic:

Hehe thanks again guys.

The train shed is a tricky one. I dont know how Id ship something like that too... assembled? Or not?

I would not ship it assembled or at least completely assembled. Don't think it will survive (I have experience bringing a modified (and stronger) version to exhibitions and it also seems to be hard keeping it from falling apart.

The train shed is a tricky one. I dont know how Id ship something like that too... assembled? Or not?

Shipping it unassembled will be easier and, more importantly, cheaper! Here in the States, you could probably fit it (unassembled) in a flat-rate mailer and not have to worry about the weight. Shipping internationally is probably a whole different story!

Dave