Ayrow

MOC: Minifig Oak display

Wasn't really sure where to place this, but it turned out pretty cool. Figured I'd show it off a little.

lego-shelf-9-2013--4(sm).jpg

lego-shelf-9-2013--5(sm).jpg

lego-shelf-9-2013--7(sm).jpg

lego-shelf-9-2013--6(sm).jpg

Nice display rack! Are the plates glued/stuck to the shelving?

Yes. The are permanently glued down.

:-)

I was going to say

"Nice rack! (:classic:)"

but that would be crass. So I'll compliment you on your woodworking and joinery skills. It's does look really good.

Edited by eurotrash

Yes, very nice - can you give us some more specifics, like total cost or dimensions or anything? Is there any finish on the wood and, if so, "wood" you share it? (so bad). I like the way the tan works with the color of the wood. Did you try any other combos?

This looks great. My dad is really into woodworking and I thought about having him build me one. This is a great example of what I'd be looking for, only I'd have one shelf a little larger to allow more room for the big figs. I also wanted to have glass/plexi-glass in a door on the front to keep out dust. My dad did that with other display shelves he has built.

But this looks great! I hope you have a lot of fun with this. It seems like it would fit in well with any LEGO room.

Please share dimensions if you can. I'd love to copy it in overall size.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like them.

I've had a few people ask me to make them one and they've been coming out pretty nice.

Currently I'm working on a black one with LED's along the shelves to illuminate the minifigs. Pretty excited about making it. I'll post photos of it here when I get it done.

The size is 4 ft wide x 2ft high

You can see more photos on my website Ayrow.com

Stay tumed

Edited by Ayrow

Ok, so I've had the chance to make several of these for people, but the coolest one (by far) has been the case with lighted shelves.

The LED's are embedded into the undersides of the shelves.

A toy store in New York ordered it for his Star Wars Lego minfigs.

Here are some photos before I put the black Lego plates on.

lighted--5(sm).jpg

lighted--6(sm).jpg

10-27-2013--2.jpg

This is very nice, if I were to build one I think I'd go with the natural color plus LED lighting. I bet it looks amazing and impressive in real life and keeps everything accessable but safe. I'm thinking if you router a tight enough groove for the plates they wouldn't need to be ruined glued down and colors could be played with. I'd love something like this for my CMF series figs with color coded plates :wink:

Awesome work. :thumbup:

This does look great. I would add a sheet of plastic/glass to keep out dust.

I actually make them with a front. Been experimenting with different ways to do this, but regardless, a 4ft x 2ft piece of glass or acrylic is cumbersome, expensive, and heavy - especially when it comes time to ship one of these to somebody (!).

I am currently building one where the glass/acrylic will be split in the middle and open like French doors. Hopefully it will come out nice. I'll Post some pics when it is done.

glass-shelf--2(sm).jpg

. I'm thinking if you router a tight enough groove for the plates they wouldn't need to be ruined glued down and colors could be played with.

Holy cow, that's a great idea. I never considered embedding the plates into the wood. That would look really nice and wouldn't be hard to do.

More importantly, it would give just a little more room between the shelves.

Thanks for the input.

Some of my latest creations. Having a lot of fun making these.

Some people have some really creative ideas.

2-10-2014--13(sm).jpg

jeff-lighted--3.jpg

jeff-lighted--4.jpg

5-26-2014--1.jpg

andy--1(sm).jpg

7-31-2014--1.jpg

8-18--2014--4(sm).jpg

Red oak is my favorite wood, and it looks like that's what you used. Mind if I ask how you finished it?

I use red oak and poplar on my cases. It just depends on whether or not they are painted.

I finish all of my oak cases in several coats of protective lacquer.

:-)