Tkavan01

LEGO Mindstorms and Robotics General Discussion

Must be frustating sometimes.

And you don't take everything home during Holidays? :wink:

Another issue: when I put a microSD into EV3 Brick, at the end I'd like to remove it...but it's very diffucult! I've to extract it using tweezers!!! The real problem is that when I insert a microSD it doesn't make the "click" sound...!

Is it normal???

Not sure about the microSD card, but I had a little trouble inserting the USB WiFi dongle as well. I had to use a slight angle inserting the dongle.

Not sure about the microSD card, but I had a little trouble inserting the USB WiFi dongle as well. I had to use a slight angle inserting the dongle.

Can you try to insert and remove a microSD, please? Let me know...!

About the USB WiFi dongle, which do you use? I tried with a D-Link DWA-140, but it didn't work... :(

Edited by alfredone78

I haven't got a microSD at my disposal right now. And my brick is pretty built-in a WIP robot right now. When I get the chance I will do so.

Maybe one of the other members can reply to this matter.

About the USB WiFi dongle, which do you use? I tried with a D-Link DWA-140, but it didn't work... :(

Similarly to what happened with BT dongles for NXT, there is a very limited choice regarding working WiFi dongles for EV3.

Until someone changes something in the firmware/VM executable there is only one WiFi dongle that will work with the EV3. It is the NetGear WNA1100 with USB ID 0846:9030.

Any other dongle will not work!

You can find these dongles at the moment at several sources, and eventually at your local retailer too.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...netgear wna1100

LEGO Education: http://www.legoeduca..._fi_dongle/2555 (as it looks, LE charges a premium price for reselling this...)

Unfortunately none of the small sized WiFi dongles or even any other large one like the NetGear dongle, will work!

It has to use a specific Atheros chipset (one supported by the ath9k_htc linux drivers, which limits us to around 20 or fewer devices) and then the VM executable checks for a specific USB device (unique to the NetGear dongle) before loading the atheros drivers so no other atheros-based dongle works either.

Dongles that use Ralink or Realtek chipsets do not even have driver support in the standard firmware image.

PS: I've gathered this information from an MCP expert with the firmware topics.

I really hope that other firmware or other programming environments will support the NetGear (or other) mini dongles.

Do you have any insights in why TLG didn't choose the NetGear mini dongle?

Do you have any insights in why TLG didn't choose the NetGear mini dongle?

I'm sorry! No, I don't have.

Anyone on here got the Voice Command to work on the iPad EV3 Commander? Somehow I always get the error: We're sorry, there seems to be a problem recognizing your voice command. Please try again. Or is this another flaky option?

Can you try to insert and remove a microSD, please? Let me know...!

MICRO SD

The microSD-slot as no spring mechanism...and the housing mold of the EV3 seemed to be created for children fingers...so yes - it's not perfect for AFOLs :hmpf_bad:

WIFI

The mentioned ath9k_htc linux driver supports dongles with chipset AR7010 and AR9271.

Here is a list of known devices: wireless.kernel.org

And here is the wiki-entry about that driver which shows this list of know ( and hopefully working ) devices:

USB: 040D:3801 VIA Technologies, Inc. (Device name unknown)

USB: 0411:017F BUFFALO INC. (formerly MelCo., Inc.) Sony UWA-BR100 802.11abgn Wireless Adapter [Atheros AR7010+AR9280]

USB: 04CA:4605 Lite-On Technology Corp. (Device name unknown)

USB: 057C:8403 AVM GmbH Fritz!WLAN N v2 [Atheros AR9271]

USB: 07D1:3A10 D-Link System DWA-126 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Atheros AR9271]

USB: 083A:A704 Accton Technology Corp. (Device name unknown)

USB: 0846:9018 NetGear, Inc. WNDA3200 802.11abgn Wireless Adapter [Atheros AR7010+AR9280]

USB: 0846:9030 NetGear, Inc. WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 [Atheros AR9271]

USB: 0CF3:1006 Atheros Communications, Inc. TP-Link TL-WN322G v3 / TL-WN422G v2 802.11g [Atheros AR9271]

USB: 0CF3:20FF Atheros Communications, Inc. AR7010 (no firmware)

USB: 0CF3:7010 Atheros Communications, Inc. (Device name unknown)

USB: 0CF3:7015 Atheros Communications, Inc. TP-Link TL-WN821N v3 / TL-WN822N v2 802.11n [Atheros AR7010+AR9287]

USB: 0CF3:9271 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271 802.11n

USB: 0CF3:B003 Atheros Communications, Inc. Ubiquiti WiFiStationEXT 802.11n [Atheros AR9271]

USB: 13D3:3327 IMC Networks (Device name unknown)

USB: 13D3:3328 IMC Networks (Device name unknown)

USB: 13D3:3346 IMC Networks (Device name unknown)

USB: 13D3:3348 IMC Networks (Device name unknown)

USB: 13D3:3349 IMC Networks (Device name unknown)

USB: 13D3:3350 IMC Networks (Device name unknown)

USB: 1668:1200 Actiontec Electronics, Inc. [hex] 802AIN Wireless N Network Adapter [Atheros AR9170+AR9101]

Edited by gerkenz

Same chipset doesn't mean it will work. Check the message Chongas posted

Similarly to what happened with BT dongles for NXT, there is a very limited choice regarding working WiFi dongles for EV3.

Until someone changes something in the firmware/VM executable there is only one WiFi dongle that will work with the EV3. It is the NetGear WNA1100 with USB ID 0846:9030.

Any other dongle will not work!

Same chipset doesn't mean it will work. Check the message Chongas posted

Yes - I read Conchas post... :wink: Just wanted to give some information about where to start because unsing the same chipset could be easier than using a different linux driver.

But as far as I checked the dongles they are all not very small either, so the Netgear Mini or Edimax with a different driver needs to be added.

Ahhh okay. In that case, it was a bit confusing :wink:

Regardless of the chipset, the most important thing is indeed to get the Mini Netgear or Edimax operational. And storing WiFi settings, because you have to enter these everytime you start the brick.

Is there an option for wifi control that is smoother than bluetooth and android combo?

I don't want to fork out for a particular dongle if it is a laggy as bluetooth. Also a program with progressive power control would be great.

I am a bit disappointed my older version of PS2 controller isn't EV3 compatible.

Cheers,

Surly

Great news: there is new firmware coming that should solve the BlueTooth problems on Android! :thumbup:

I just got a call from Lego Consumer Service in the UK. This morning, I emailed them back to let them know how my issue with the BlueTooth connection problems on Android had developed to a stand still, with none of the second tier support teams willing to accept the case or follow up (I'll leave out the details).

The Consumer Service rep said they were aware of these connection problems, they had had reports of several other people experiencing the same thing. He confirmed that it was an issue that only occurs with the retail version of the brick. The educational version is built on exactly the same hardware, but has a slightly different firmware and does not have any problems connecting with Android apps over BlueTooth. So my problem is identified, confirmed, and they are working on a solution now.

No time table for release yet. The new firmware might be released as soon as the end of this week, but it could also take a couple of weeks. I can wait for that!

The whole experience so far was becoming very "un-Lego"-like for me. I know I should not let minor things like this creep up on you, but to be honest, I was somewhat disappointed and it took part of the fun out. So I am very glad they called me. The whole thing has switched back to the positive side again! :laugh:

Great news from TLG regarding the educational models.

"We can't and we won't stop the interesting development happening all around the world. So if you can extract BIs you are welcome to share these."

With special thanks to Xander Soldaat for asking it :thumbup:

So I will create packages for every model with the images (building instructions) and the project file.

Very nice of them :) Thank you for your work also Jim.

Indeed very nice!

In a couple of hours I will have some stuff online.

"Another cool thing is that they will implement a sharing feature in the software by the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014."

So I will create packages for every model with the images (building instructions) and the project file.

Thanks Jim, much appreciated. After you make all this data available, it seems then that the only difference between the $99 educational software and the free retail EV3 software is data logging?

(note: the free software doesn't come with gyro support, but the gyro support can be added for free with drivers that can be freely downloaded from lego's website).

The Education software also has some extra options for teachers to manage projects and lessons. These have nothing to do with programming the brick.

Thanks! Saves me some work :wink: