Lance

Ninjago: Masters Of Spinjitsu TV Show Thread

Thanks. I listened to sample clips on iTunes, but hard to tell since they seem to play just the beginning, so I didn't recognize the Lego Dimensions Ninjago medley songs. They picked some good songs for the game and they should give them credit by showing the credits so I can find the songs on iTunes.

The relationship between Lloyd and Garmadon in the movie is a little different than here.

In the movie, Garmadon's just going "meh, oh yeah" to his son. But in the show Garmadon loves Lloyd so much he does everything in his power to stop his progress, and tries to stop the battle even after that.

I guess it's a nice contrast, it's something new. Or maybe Garmadon's just hiding his feelings?

6 minutes ago, gamejutzu said:

The relationship between Lloyd and Garmadon in the movie is a little different than here.

In the movie, Garmadon's just going "meh, oh yeah" to his son. But in the show Garmadon loves Lloyd so much he does everything in his power to stop his progress, and tries to stop the battle even after that.

I guess it's a nice contrast, it's something new. Or maybe Garmadon's just hiding his feelings?

This is for the movie thread, but I think there's going to be a shift on the very end, and an emotional scene when something happens and Garmadon shows love to Lloyd, and the world is safe... yes it's a cliche, but I can't imagine it ending any other way.

After skipping around and watching most of 4 different seasons, I feel like Ninjago the TV show's stories are better than the average cartoon and could be adapted to a non-Lego live action show or movie without problems.

On 2/8/2017 at 5:27 PM, Cagast said:

This is for the movie thread, but I think there's going to be a shift on the very end, and an emotional scene when something happens and Garmadon shows love to Lloyd, and the world is safe... yes it's a cliche, but I can't imagine it ending any other way.

Because of the song they used in the trailer, I've been thinking that that the aesop of the movie is that it's sometimes it's best to cut toxic people out of your life, and that Garmadon would never be redeemed. I'd prefer to get a LEGO Movie!Good Garmadon, but it'd be an interesting development. After Lord Business, making him a good guy would probably feel like a re-thread to anyone only familiar with the movies. i.e. most critics. 

Edited by GarmaFan

8 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

Because of the song they used in the trailer, I've been thinking that that the aesop of the movie is that it's sometimes it's best to cut toxic people out of your life, and that Garmadon would never be redeemed. I'd prefer to get a LEGO Movie!Good Garmadon, but it'd be an interesting development. After Lord Business, making him a good guy would probably feel like a re-thread to anyone only familiar with the movies. i.e. most critics. 

This article about the LEGO Ninjago movie seems to tell a very different story. According to Justin Theroux (movie!Garmadon's VA), “It’s about a son having to live with this father who’s a threat to Lego-manity (but) more about the son’s journey of forgiving him and learning to accept him for who he is." That does still seem to diverge considerably from the cartoon, but definitely doesn't seem to jibe with the idea that movie!Garmadon is toxic or irredeemable.

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

This article about the LEGO Ninjago movie seems to tell a very different story. According to Justin Theroux (movie!Garmadon's VA), “It’s about a son having to live with this father who’s a threat to Lego-manity (but) more about the son’s journey of forgiving him and learning to accept him for who he is." That does still seem to diverge considerably from the cartoon, but definitely doesn't seem to jibe with the idea that movie!Garmadon is toxic or irredeemable.

Oh, good.. I completely forgot about that somehow. 

18 hours ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

After skipping around and watching most of 4 different seasons, I feel like Ninjago the TV show's stories are better than the average cartoon and could be adapted to a non-Lego live action show or movie without problems.

I personally think anime would be better, but hey your opinion :wink: It can even be 2D Lego anime

Would Cartoon Network or whoever have the kind of budget to keep the Ninjago environments and creatures look they way they do without any appearance downgrade? Unless you mean if any network picked it up, even if they made it not aimed primarily for kids. 

I do feel like the reason not many people like or are interested in Ninjago is because of the Lego aesthetic of characters. I want the show to stick with the Lego and CGI style, but I'd say the show would probably get more attention (or at least less negative attention) if it wasn't Lego-esque.

Edited by gamejutzu

Oh god, no. Live action Ninjago would be so silly and cheesy. Just think about it. Try to visualize an army of goofy skeletons attacking spinning colorful ninjas... riding giant dragons, in a city... that would be worse than live action Power Rangers (the tv show).

12 minutes ago, gamejutzu said:

I do feel like the reason not many people like or are interested in Ninjago is because of the Lego aesthetic of characters. I want the show to stick with the Lego and CGI style, but I'd say the show would probably get more attention (or at least less negative attention) if it wasn't Lego-esque.

Which is quite ironic, as the case is completely opposite with the movie. The movie would get extremely negative attention, or even worse, very little to no attention at all, if it wasn't Lego.

Just now, Cagast said:

Which is quite ironic, as the case is completely opposite with the movie. The movie would get extremely negative attention, or even worse, very little to no attention at all, if it wasn't Lego.

I understand that. I was really talking about the show in people's eyes pre-Ninjago movie. The show has terrible scores and reviews on a lot of sites and the main reason is the Lego aesthetic from what I can tell.

Tons of people are gonna at least look into the source material and the show. People coming from the movie would have no reason to dislike the show because "it's Lego", since the movie was too. 

Pre-movie, Ninjago didn't really have a kickstand or anything. People would judge it simply for what it is; a Lego show.

2 minutes ago, gamejutzu said:

I understand that. I was really talking about the show in people's eyes pre-Ninjago movie. The show has terrible scores and reviews on a lot of sites and the main reason is the Lego aesthetic from what I can tell.

Yes, I know you got that, I was just pointing out the irony. :classic:

2 minutes ago, gamejutzu said:

People coming from the movie would have no reason to dislike the show because "it's Lego", since the movie was too. 

...Not true. The only reason why the trailer for Ninjago movie is getting so much positive reception is because the Lego cinematic universe is an already established series, and both movies have a distinct sense of humor and animation which is liked by majority of people and critics whether they are hardcore lego fans or not lego fans at all. Seeing the same humor style, exciting and unique animation, and that special "lego feeling" with everything being built from lego pieces (well, almost everything, but I won't nitpick now, you get the point), people instantly like Ninjago. Now imagine all these people seeing an episode from the tv show. It lacks literally all that. 

I'm not suggesting a live action Ninjago. I'm saying from what I've watched so far, the stories and characters have me where I can't wait to see what happens next and it's not feeling like nonsense kiddie fluff cartoon stories. It seems like the stories can be appreciated by viewers of any age.

I, for one, would actually really be into a live action spinoff of Ninjago. Yes, it could end up being really cheesy (think Spy Kids), but if they did it in a similar style as the new Power Rangers movie, I could see it working 

19 hours ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

23 minutes ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

I'm not suggesting a live action Ninjago. I'm saying from what I've watched so far, the stories and characters have me where I can't wait to see what happens next and it's not feeling like nonsense kiddie fluff cartoon stories. It seems like the stories can be appreciated by viewers of any age.

If you read your own words you did suggest a live action Ninjago. Even though you referred only to the stories that is like saying you want the script of the live action movie be taken and adapted from Ninjago animated TV show. As others have stated it is going to be silly. However, I know where you are coming from because as an AFOL, I do enjoy watching Ninjago and the story fluctuates from mildly silly to outrageously non-sense but that is always applicable to any LEGO movie anyway.

The Ninjago universe is still expanding that if TLG decided to market this to grown ups in the future, like how Hollywood is reviving old franchises for nostalgic factor, I think that they it may work. Not this decade though.

1 hour ago, Cagast said:

Now imagine all these people seeing an episode from the tv show. It lacks literally all that. 

Well, to the people that dislike the show it's basically the same thing. They see anything (in this case Ninjago) that resembles Lego and they dislike it and brand it as a childish marketing ploy to sell toys.

I'm talking about these people, who saw the Ninjago movie and liked it. Will they still see the show as just Lego now that they saw the movie? Who knows. But that's what I meant.

Edited by gamejutzu

Again, I did not suggest live action Ninjago. I meant they could copy and paste a Ninjago TV story into a non-Lego live action show or movie and it'd be normal sci-fi/fantasy and probably better than some live action garbage I've watched. I'm saying Ninjago doesn't seem dumbed down for 1st graders to watch.

8 hours ago, gamejutzu said:

Tons of people are gonna at least look into the source material and the show. People coming from the movie would have no reason to dislike the show because "it's Lego", since the movie was too. 

Pre-movie, Ninjago didn't really have a kickstand or anything. People would judge it simply for what it is; a Lego show.

It's not great, but the reviews are still passing. There aren't many of them, since the show never really made it big with the adult audience. Honestly, while the whole "22 minute commercial" thing may have had some influence, I think the very few critic scores that exist are pretty fair. And keep in mind, it hasn't really been looked at by critics since 2012.

Edited by GarmaFan

Unrelated to what is discussed above, but this week the rest of HoT airs in France (Eps 70-74). This means that we will most likely have the entire season online in a foreign language by the end of the week, so be weary of spoilers if you are choosing to wait for an English release. Ep. 70 airs on Monday, with each new episode airing the following day.

3 minutes ago, MasterofElements said:

Unrelated to what is discussed above, but this week the rest of HoT airs in France (Eps 70-74). This means that we will most likely have the entire season online in a foreign language by the end of the week, so be weary of spoilers if you are choosing to wait for an English release. Ep. 70 airs on Monday, with each new episode airing the following day.

Nice! Do you know when the English episodes will air?

1 hour ago, Ninja of Fire said:

Rule of thumb in fanbases is that if you have to ask, no one will be able to give you the answer.

1 minute ago, GarmaFan said:

Rule of thumb in fanbases is that if you have to ask, no one will be able to give you the answer.

Ah, thanks for letting me know :p

11 hours ago, Ninja of Fire said:

Funny you ask, as even Lego themselves don't know. They already seem to be dodging questions or giving vague answers. 

2 hours ago, MasterofElements said:

Funny you ask, as even Lego themselves don't know. They already seem to be dodging questions or giving vague answers. 

Negotiations with Cartoon Network? Or do they leave the scheduling entirely to CN?

Okay guys, here it is. Hands of Time has now aired in its entirety in France. If you want to watch the episodes, it seems as if this is the link to do so: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxB4q3MIE7obd2RqOGlYYXRMQzA

SPOILERS HERE!

Okay, so there is a lot to talk about. First of all, Zane DOES get his normal skin back... for about 10 seconds. This happens in the finale, where the time twins successfully rid Ninjago of all of its technology. That of course, leaves Zane as a "normal" robot, who just lays on the ground, deactivated. He does go back to his titanium form at the end of the episode when the timeline is restored. I'd say that the best episode is 73, the penultimate episode. Here we get the fusion dragon, and boy is it ugly (IMO). We also get introduced to Iron Doom, where the ninja, along with the samurai, try to shut it down. It gives for an awesome action scene. Also, the parents! They are really cool here and useful, too. Just a heads up, the identity of the Samurai is... not revealed. And finally, Wu's fate. The season ends with Wu, the Twins, Iron Doom, and nearly all of the Vermillion getting lost in that time portal thing. I'll wait until the English airings to give my full judgement.

Edited by MasterofElements