Sign in to follow this  
Ragnar_Deerslayer

[Ninjago] What are the best sets?

This isn't really a "which set should I buy?" question, since I'm not faced with a concrete decision between two sets. It's really that I normally build fantasy/historical, and I got to thinking, "Hey! I don't have nearly enough ninjas." I took a look look at the review index, and many of the current Ninjago sets aren't reviewed. So, what are the best two or three sets, in your opinion, that the Ninjago line currently offers? And why?

Thanks,

Ragnar

I'm a fan of the Epic Dragon Battle set since you get amazing minifigures, a 4 headed dragon, a giant snake and a decent tower/prison.

For some reason I also like Garmatrons tank.

The best set was the smallest with Cole for £4. It had a properly coloured ninja and came with a nice amount of weapons. It may not be availiable anymore though. Sorry for getting hopes up if not!!

I also like the basilisk Snake in the lame looking epic dragon battle set. Personally I would get it though because that dragon is just, well, :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Edited by Mutant Orc

The Fire Temple is an architectural beauty, and has an impressive interior. However, the Epic Dragon Battle Includes one of the largest, and possibly the most beautiful creature Lego has produced. For a vehicle I would say the Ultra Sonic Raider with Garmatron at a close second.

if you're looking for ninjas, the best choice is the ultra sonic rider, it contains all of them in a single set. Also the build of the sonic rider itself is just amazing.

As the best set of the line, my vote goes to... i don't know... i love almost the whole line... my favorites are surely Epic dragon battle, Fire temple and light temple. All ninjago mechs are also amazing.

Best Ninjago sets? Difficult, here are some of my favourites:

Destiny's Bounty (really good looking ship)

Fire Temple (architecture)

Lightning Dragon Battle (the blue one, in fact all dragons are cool)

But things like the snake helicopter, skeleton monster truck, the temple of light. garmatron, samurai mech, are also really good. Heh... perhaps you should read some reviews on brickset?

As far as spinner sets are concerned, the NRG Ninja (9570 NRG Jay, 9572 NRG Cole, 9590 NRG Zane, and 9591 Weapon Pack) are easily the finest. The minifigures are beautiful designs with stunning metallic printing, and are exclusive to these sets. The spinners also have very nice printing — instead of character emblems of similar iconography, there are simply swirling elements that, together with the transparent-colored surfaces, really do a great job representing Spinjitzu powers. Even Chokun's spinner in the Weapon Pack is nice, and can be used as a spinner for Lloyd ZX if you decide not to get his dedicated spinner set. The sets also include some great weapon parts. The one I'd most highly recommend is 9591 Weapon Pack, which gives you the most parts for your money and a great assortment of useful weapon pieces.

2516 Ninja Training Outpost is a great army-builder and parts pack for people who aren't interested in the Ninjago story, since it has the black ninja Cole in his plainest robes. Easily one of the best impulse sets, especially since you stated you're primarily a historic themes builder.

Among more sci-fi sets, 70500 Kai's Fire Mech or 9441 Kai's Blade Cycle would make a lovely first purchase. The former is just a really well-refined and compact mech that is fun to pose and play with, while the latter has an amazing spreading-blades function. Both are nice and sleek in their design.

And regarding the more massive sets, 2507 Fire Temple is a work of art, not just architecturally but in terms of functions. It's got a great selection of minifigures too. The dragon is also a work of art — despite having a lot of joints, it balances curves and sharp angles just about as well as non-brick-built dragons and monsters. It would be a fantastic purchase either as a display piece or a parts pack. The set as a whole has a decent price-per-piece and is a great way to acquire all four of Ninjago's signature golden weapons. It's another set I'm perfectly happy to recommend to a historic themes builder.

I got a couple of the polybags free, and that sparked a brief Ninjago buying frenzy, but the set I wish I'd got more of is the Ninja Training Outpost- cheap, black ninja robes, nice weapons, and the rest is a useful parts pack.

Ultra Sonic Raider. Hands down. It's by far my favorite of all the vehicles LEGO has ever produced.

2011:

Skull Motorbike

2012:

Kai's Blade Cycle

2013:

Golden Dragon

2014:

Kai Fighter

Ultra Sonic Raider. Hands down. It's by far my favorite of all the vehicles LEGO has ever produced.

Not To mention, All four Ninja and their weapons are included.

If you are a Historic builder than Fire Temple. No question. It's the best and most distinctive Asian themed building Lego has ever produced. Plus the Red Fire Dragon is one of the better dragons. Good figures too.

Worthwhile runners up are the Ultrasonic Raider and the Spic Dragon Battle. Which have great Ninja selection.

For the lower priced sets a lot will depend on what you are looking for in terms of set, play value, etc.

My top favourites are:

9448 Samurai Mech - majestic mech, great minifigures, excellent parts selection

2507 Fire Temple - spectacular, aesthetically pleasing model with neat play function, great selection of parts and minifigs

9446 Destiny's Bounty - amazing looking ship, interesting transformation functions, nice minifigs

2508 Blacksmith Shop - nice little model with a moving wall function, good parts and weapons selection making it a nice value pack

I really love the sets from this year. The Golden Dragon and Kai's Fire Mech standout. They're cheap, have some really cool pieces, and nice figures.

I would say that the ultra sonic raider is the best ninjago set. First of all it looks cool, it is two vehicles in one and you get lots of ninjas.

I'm not a huge fan of ninjago, but my little brothers must have spent at least $350 on sets and spinners by now, some of the my favorites I've seen so far are 2505 garmadon's dark fortress, 9449 ultra sonic raider, and 9446 destiny's bounty.

I bought my step son the Ultra Sonic Raider and it really is a beautiful set. The vehicle looks impressive, and is 2 vehicles in one. The set also comes with all of the ninjas, plenty of weapons, and cool parts like the tank treads and the gigantic rubber wheels. It's not a "historical" set, but it's loads of fun to build and play with. Very good value if you can find it on sale.

I think the best sets are the temple of light and the ultra sonic raider. Those are the best ones so far. You could also try to get the golden dragon or Kai's fire mech.