Hey y'all! Today I am going to start building an RC trophy truck, I will post WIP photos and updates here.

First things first, should it be 4WD or RWD, I'm not sure what real trophy trucks use. I just got some universal joints in the mail which means that I have 8 all together, so 4WD would be possible.

I look forward to your replies. :)

Hi,

Wikipedia says they are usually only two wheel drive which surprises me. Looking at some of the images via google i'm only seeing two wheel drive. When I complete my little rally car I will do a trophy truck also.

I look forward to seeing the completed model.

H

Yes, most trophy trucks are 2WD with rear trailing arm suspension and front independent suspension, so theoretically you should only need 1 u-joint.

And MrNumbskull13, what happened to your profile pic? It doesn't show up for me.

Yes, most trophy trucks are 2WD with rear trailing arm suspension and front independent suspension, so theoretically you should only need 1 u-joint.

And MrNumbskull13, what happened to your profile pic? It doesn't show up for me.

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually don't know what happened to my profile pic, I haven't tried to change it or anything. :/

There are two classes of trophy truck one with 2wd and the other with 4wd. v/r Andy

Okay, thanks for the feedback everyone! I have decided to go with RWD.

Now my only problem is the independent suspension for the front. I tried making a prototype this morning and it has too many flaws, have any of you seen any MOCs with good independent suspension? (I'm using 81.4 tires)

What's the problem? Does the standard mini wishbone suspension not work for you?

I have the mini wishbones, I haven't tried them yet because I wasn't sure if they'd be strong enough. :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually don't know what happened to my profile pic, I haven't tried to change it or anything. :/

Maybe your profile pic is too large.

H

You can see some suspension on these brickshelf images from a fellow member on this forum. This is my favourite Trophy Truck model.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=523538

H

The standard wishbone control arm suspension may be more in tune with what you need. The level of power applied will determine to a great extent how strong you need everything to be. The more power, the harder the crashes will be, the stronger you need stuff to be to prevent breakage. A real full scale trophy truck breaks when they crash into immoveable objects, why would a model be any different. v/r Andy

I would suggest adding a slight caster angle, as that will make the suspension more responsive. Also what kind of suspension are you planning on having in the rear of the car?

I would suggest adding a slight caster angle, as that will make the suspension more responsive. Also what kind of suspension are you planning on having in the rear of the car?

Ok I'll try adding caster when I have another go at front suspension. In the rear I'm gonna try and make a triangulated 4 link live axle. :)

[edit] here is a pic of my first 4 link prototype, it seems to work well and is very strong.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/92293857@N05/9644923574/

Edited by MrNumbskull13

Hi,

How big is your truck going to be? Sounds like it's going to be a large one. Are we talking about unimog size?

H

Hi,

How big is your truck going to be? Sounds like it's going to be a large one. Are we talking about unimog size?

H

A bit smaller than unimog, I'm using 81.4 tires and I'm trying so keep it as small and light as possible

Hey y'all! Today I am going to start building an RC trophy truck, I will post WIP photos and updates here.

First things first, should it be 4WD or RWD, I'm not sure what real trophy trucks use. I just got some universal joints in the mail which means that I have 8 all together, so 4WD would be possible.

I look forward to your replies. :)

Sounds very awesome :)

I think so, but if you don't you could mount the arms sideways if you're planning on ramming into walls. :laugh: I don't recommend the 2-speed tho, especially if you're using RC motors. Doesn't offsetting the links put stress on the u-joints?