Sign in to follow this  
kabel

Thorshaven II - Storage and Merchant House

I sense a little hostitlity from GravGunner- chill-out man!

I always envision Mitgardia being so much more Norse-ish. Interesting that Northern Germany is where you draw inspiration, that is totally where I would draw stuff from for Avalonia. Painted half-timbers everywhere!

I always envision Mitgardia being so much more Norse-ish. Interesting that Northern Germany is where you draw inspiration, that is totally where I would draw stuff from for Avalonia. Painted half-timbers everywhere!

I agree, in my mind Mitgardia is more like the Nordic in the Viking ages/early middle ages (I'm thinking architecture like stave churches) or maybe Rohan in LotR (but less horses). But of course there can be cities of more "civilized" nature, for example like there were cities belonging to the Hanseatic league in the Nordic during the middle ages.

Regardless, your builds are stellar. Keep it up!

+Half-Timbered+House.JPG

I don't know, ^that^ half-timber house seems pretty Mitgardian to me... :wink: Plus, much of southern Mitgardia is heavily forested, so half-timber structures make sense in that region to me!

Half-timber definitely fits Mitgardia, especially with snow-covered roofs ;)

Interesting discussion, I think we should do this more often when commenting on builds.

Anyway, this for instance is a picture of Ystad, an old Hanseatic city in the south of Sweden, as you can see, bricks and halftimber frames. Very similar to the style in my home town:

3031997_web.jpg?1348404868

as a contrast, british halftimber houses, as I would think of in Avalonia, can you see the differences?

stock-photo-fachwerk-construction-house-in-england-stratford-upon-avon-60925609.jpg

sigbertgeorgi_797619.jpg

Edited by kabel

Zcerberus: not at all meant that way! Sorry if I came across as such, just wanted to have a discussion as above :classic:

And intrrestingly, I think all are correct. The guilds are(in my eyes) big countries(as in bigger then germany or france) and as such, the style can vary from region to region. Houses back in the day were often made from the most readily available building material, only rich persons could afford otherwise. And since nature laughs at our petty lines scribbled on some map, styles tend to be pretty cross-country

Only half true.

There are distinct styles in half timber structures that vary from region to region. As Scandinavia and Germany were mere united than devided by the Baltic Sea (and parts of Northern Germany even belongend to the Swedish Empire for a while) the style of architecture looks rather similar. On the other hand, there is a clear line in Germany that in many ways differenciates the North from the South. Be it language (I can't understand most southern dialects, but have no problem with the northern ones), beverages (wine vs. beer), food (noodles vs. potatos), religion (protestant vs. catholic) and half timber architecture.

So as we said in the beginning of GoH that we refer to late middles ages (ca. 1450) the Hanseatic League always served as my role model for southern Mitgardia and that's how I came up with the red colored plate technique in the first place. And that's also why I started getting into Medieval ships and such. So most of what I've freebuild for GoH so far centers around this idea.

Anyway, there are more modules to come, and you'll see what I mean.

When I think Mitgardia, I think of this....

220px-Borgund_stavkirke.JPG

That's not to say different regions can't look more like something else, I guess I just wasn't picturing Northern Germany.

Interesting discussion, I think we should do this more often when commenting on builds.

I agree. Being American I learn quite a bit from all you Europeans about history, architecture, way of life, etc. when these discussions come up. As long as they're civil (this one certainly is) I think they're very good for everyone.

very nice! Figures look like they actually living. The brick work on red building is awesome. I think this moc is modular I will wait the additions with curiosity.

Edited by kbcakir