Hello to all. I'd like to build this fantastic model, is on my list for some time.

Only one thing stops me, I seemed to have read that there are mechanical problems, some kind of friction or some gear / link is not working properly.

Someone who built it can tell me if it is true? And if it were true, this thing affect the operation?

Thank you very much!

Sorry for my bad english

Only one thing stops me, I seemed to have read that there are mechanical problems, some kind of friction or some gear / link is not working properly.

Someone who built it can tell me if it is true? And if it were true, this thing affect the operation?

I built it and brought it to BrickCon and drove it around all weekend. I had no problems. The design is solid.

Hi, and thanks for taking the interest! From the responses I have got, I get the impression things are working like intended. Someone noted something about the geometry of the arm, but I'm not sure about the details... The geometry might not be *perfect*, but it does the job :wink: Else, maybe they made a mistake during the build process? :look:

Good luck building it, and I hope it lives up to expectations! :thumbup:

So, I finally got a around building this model. And, as I expected it is an amazing model, both in playability and building experience. I always like to keep using 100% pure lego parts and although it is possible here, I decided to cut a diff. It's the first time in my life I cut a Lego piece (on purpose) :laugh:

I really like the model, and all your other models D3K. If I get the time, I'd love to make instructions for your mark 3 version :classic:

Btw, D3K, it seems like you use these panels in yellow in almost every one of your mocs. But, they are actually quite rare and only came in 1 set. Quite annoying for the people who want to keep their models assembled (I don't so I don't really mind). :wink:

People who keep all their sets and MOCs assembled shouldn't complain about rare parts really, they're the ones creating scarcity and driving prices up.

Edited by jantjeuh

Hi! Great that you liked the model! :thumbup: I really hope you will find the time to build and make the Mk III instructions, as it is - in my opinion - a superior model to the Mk II.. at least until the Mk IV comes along :laugh: I might eventually get around to building it in MLcad myself, but I'm currently making a smaller model in that software, and I'm remembering all the small annoyances when making instructions! :tongue:

Regarding the cut gear: good for you to overcome the mental barrier of not modifying parts! I too am pretty much a purist, and this is the only time I have done something like this! :grin:

As for the panels, I automatically think that any parts I have in my inventory are not rare :laugh: And you are right, I use them a lot, as I too never keep models built! I'll at least keep it in mind, and I wasn't that pleased with the rear of the Mk III anyway, so I might redesign it :thumbup:

People who keep all their sets and MOCs assembled shouldn't complain about rare parts really, they're the ones creating scarcity and driving prices up.

Hear hear! :laugh:

Edited by D3K

On 8/1/2013 at 6:52 PM, D3K said:

dsc_0222.jpg

The transmission of power to the lower axle here, as you can see, happens via a part that doesn't exist. That is the 24 tooth end of a 4L differential, that I had to sever from the rest of its body, to keep the lowermost gear from coming ever so slightly in contact with the small LA's when the loader is turning to either extreme. The setup works almost as smoothly with these replaced by 16 tooth gears, but just not quite... :blush:

With the new gear from the Chiron I slightly modified the gears so one does not have to damage Lego parts:

800x600.jpg