Sign in to follow this  
lone_buffalo

Give Bionicle a Break

Lone BUffalo, sometimes criticizing BIONICLE with constructive criticism is what can help the line. It's not good to just 'wave away' anything you don't like. Granted, BIONICLE is doing better than ever, but for how long? Where do we draw the line on where designs like the Toa Mahri will stop working?

My tastes on the Toa Mahri are similar to everyone else's here. The chaingun is growing on me, although I still don't get why it's so big. THey could have made a three-shot small little streamlined chaingun. This will weigh them down, I think. What we should be complaining about is the look of the chaingun. Just too big, IMO. What we can't really complain about is that the chaingun is not BIONICLE, because chainguns are not that far from biomechanical bodies such as the Toa Nuva possess.

Dinobot, Greg Farshtey has nothing to do with set design. IF fact, if anyone suffers from poor set design, it's him, because he's got to work a STORY around that poor set. Inika; the blobs were not so good. How does Greg Farshtey explain in the story that he has to write, that the Inika have blobs for heads? The best way is to have the heads hidden in the story by blinding light. (THe blobs were supposed to glow in the dark, hence the light.) Now, Greg has to explain why Kongu has two Cordak blasters, why Nuparu has an underwater shield, why Hahli has wings, why Matoro has a large pump coming out of his back. The only year in which story dictated set was 2005, and we all know how that turned out. *coughHordikacough*

Greg Farshtey wants mask packs back, he didn't want Vakama to go bad in Web of Shadows, and he wanted to put the Piraka's eventual fate in Bionicle Legends 7. The focus groups don't want mask packs, the head of story team wanted Vakama to go bad, and the Bionicle Legends 7 book got cut.

A lot of the time, Greg Farshtey wants what we want, but you have to remember that in BIONICLE he is the freelance writer, and a minor part of the story team. His opinion is overruled by sets and higher up brand managers.

So, yes, if you dislike the books (not the major storyline itself), then blame Greg. He writes them. But to blame him for covering up for the set's flaws or for having a part in set-making, that's wrong. He has no control over that. In fact, his ONLY connection with BIONICLE is the LEGO Magazine and the books, which places him as part of the story team.

Hey, you know something interesting. I was on BZP the other day, and some member asked Greg what he thought of the Toa Mahri. Normally, he likes sets. He thought Piraka were the coolest villains ever, and the Barraki were excellent non-clone sets. His reply? "I work for LEGO--so you pretty much need to expect a positive answer here?"

Heh. Maybe he shares our views on the Mahri?

Hey, Lord Admiral, that picture from Deathmatch looks like a BIONICLE in itself. Coincidence?

(Still thinking over whether he should get one of the other five Mahri. Jaller is a must-buy.)

VK

How about instead of giving bionicle a break we give everything a break and focus on building something we like instead of just complaining about what we don't.

MOC on!

I hear ya, and that's I'm doing! After I heard the Toa of 2006 were actually just a bunch of matoran transformed, I decided to create my own universe and go with that instead. LEGO is about imagination, and storylines are no exception. For years, I've also made up my own storylines, but I never expected I had to do so for Bionicle. Guess times change!

Guys where darkness shrouds the worlds in mysteries, the light unravels them, which means:if you don't like this years Bionicle sets they'll get better just have faith.

Someone say FAITH?

faithemblempkprofinaljt2.jpg

Anyways, every time I give them faith, SOMETHING goes horribly wrong. Here, let's look at this:

I give the storyline faith. They plunge the ENTIRE saga UNDERWATER.

I give their minifig sets faith. They give us Spybotics, only without the -botics.

I give their weapons faith. We get CHAINGUNS.

I give their Toa design team faith. And Matoro turned into the Hunchback of Notre Dame with FEMALE THIGHS.

Everytime I give them faith, it just seems to go wrong faster and faster. I didn't used to be superstitious, but after actually giving them faith in the designs for 2007, well, let's just say I've become a fan of psychics and ESP.

As for the above post, I highly recommend reading VK's post. If not, well, that's your loss.

Yes, give it a break. Bashing it isn't gonna help improve it. And it annoys me too.

-ZotS

Well, if it annoys you, I'll stop.

I hear ya, and that's I'm doing! After I heard the Toa of 2006 were actually just a bunch of matoran transformed, I decided to create my own universe and go with that instead. LEGO is about imagination, and storylines are no exception. For years, I've also made up my own storylines, but I never expected I had to do so for Bionicle. Guess times change!

Someone say FAITH?

Anyways, every time I give them faith, SOMETHING goes horribly wrong. Here, let's look at this:

I give their minifig sets faith. They give us Spybotics, only without the -botics.

I give their Toa design team faith. And Matoro turned into the Hunchback of Notre Dame with FEMALE THIGHS.

Everytime I give them faith, it just seems to go wrong faster and faster. I didn't used to be superstitious, but after actually giving them faith in the designs for 2007, well, let's just say I've become a fan of psychics and ESP.

As for the above post, I highly recommend reading VK's post. If not, well, that's your loss.

OY! Matoro's construction is one of the most unique, and I like it. However, for a Toa, it may not look right, but otherwise, very cool.

Anyways, I think the main gripe about this year is the horrible (can you even call them)collectibles. They have no variations anymore, and... eh. I'm done.

I think it's more this photo here that scarred my mind permanently.

matoromahri.jpg

Unique, not so much. The "mask" looks like the Insectoid mask. See the resemblance?

yyc23023221wm8.jpg

Anyhoo, the legs look really rushed. The Toa foot piece looks too small and the Inika shoulder pad on his thighs looks out of place. The hunch-back look is nice, but it just doesn't fit Matoro's personality. Would work great for Nuparu, but guess they want the ice Toa to be the short and stumpy ones now. Also, the CLAWS. Couldn't they have made it a tad larger? Just look at Neo-Reidak. Now THOSE are claws.

Someone say FAITH?

KMOI, have faith, jeez!!!I got beaten up 1000 times by a poular kid named Ross Tizes, I had faith and he left my school, hows that for faith for ya'??? >:-(

KMOI, have faith, jeez!!!I got beaten up 1000 times by a poular kid named Ross Tizes, I had faith and he left my school, hows that for faith for ya'???

:-|

I absolutely hate the Mahri. And I will give BIONICLE a break. I'm off the stuff till the sets don't suck (forever).

Agreed entirely. The story is the massive glaring problem this year, from the way I see it. They had a good thing (kinda iffy to me at first, but I warmed up) going and they dragged it through the dark side of the moon.

I also agree with Darth Vader about articulation. So what if a model has a gazillion points of articulation? To me, it's ALWAYS about useful articulation and honestly, articulation will NOT save a storyline. For all those fans of articulation, I suggest the Marvel Legends line. It's got more articulation and grit than Bionicle will *ever* have. And why not try this:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/356/200...chmovie2tu2.jpg

67 points of articulation, not bad, huh? And it's got an awesome story too! Afterall, Spider-Man has got a stellar run of stories, ranging from the movies to the new comic books. (No sarcasm here, by the way)

As for "don't bang it", well, these are message boards. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how weak or strong. Regardless of whether it's baseless critisism or a critical analysis, anything goes as long as it's within the confines of the rules and regulations. To be quite frank, I'm quite sick and tired of how some fawn over some of the Mahiri like starving, improvished children (refering to the official LEGO boards). But I don't attack them based on their irrational love. I present my view from my perspective, from the way I see it. I'm sorry if I sometimes come over as blunt, but I always try to show reason behind my choices. Besides, there's always the real Bionicle fanboard of a plus 50,000 population just left of here. They always welcome praise!

Well, I think. They usually love all the sets and storylines. (Nothing wrong with that, by the way. Everyone has different tastes)

I agree to your agreeance. The only good story was the begining, but after the first and half of the first wave, I hated it and stopped buying.

KMOI, have faith, jeez!!!I got beaten up 1000 times by a poular kid named Ross Tizes, I had faith and he left my school, hows that for faith for ya'??? >:-(

Hahaha, I'm with you.

Same story, except it was about 8 rich-boy jocks on metabolic steroids and other drugs.

I realized after a few years of hell that "pitying" them for being the way they were, by using "faith" was literally the act of doing nothing at all.... no, the act of making them worse.

By the time I caught on that asskicking and fighting back was the best for all parties involved, (and the fun the act of THAT brings, when justified) ...it was a few months before graduation. >__<

Faith... it's something that people who can afford to have it have.

For the rest of us, break out the guns.

Hahaha, I'm with you.

Same story, except it was about 8 rich-boy jocks on metabolic steroids and other drugs.

I realized after a few years of hell that "pitying" them for being the way they were, by using "faith" was literally the act of doing nothing at all.... no, the act of making them worse.

By the time I caught on that asskicking and fighting back was the best for all parties involved, (and the fun the act of THAT brings, when justified) ...it was a few months before graduation. >__<

Faith... it's something that people who can afford to have it have.

For the rest of us, break out the guns.

Exactly.Guys lets not forget Lego is not about storyline, looks and playability, thats all optional, its about:fun, building and imagination.

Than just kick his megablocks .Thats what I woulda done, instead of waiting around ;-)

-l2k-

Than just kick his megablocks .Thats what I woulda done, instead of waiting around ;-)

-l2k-

Ross, was...well tricky, I tried to do that, he responded by logic and brawn!

Ross, was...well tricky, I tried to do that, he responded by logic and brawn!

Now by beat up, do you mean punched in the face beat up?

-l2k-

No, I can't, teachers were watching and hes good at dodging, but this is my story, not yours so lets get on with this topic.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally believe in faith! Faith is what keeps me going every day, believe it or not. Without it, I would simply be nothing. I think you cut out the context to what I said, and that is that I have no more faith in Bionicle. As for storyline, I disagree. LEGO is about building, yes, BUT. Bionicle is one of the few lines to actually carry out a consistant storyline. And that's what made it special. Not just because it existed, but because it was intriguing. With all this stuff about SINKING Voya-Nui and chain-guns for sheer kick value, I don't believe in the storyline anymore.

As for the bullying situation, the last one was in Grade 6 because everyone in our grade became friends from Grade 7 onwards. Well, with an exception of a few. But that cleared up after we entered Grade 9. Anyhoo, yeah, mine started out like yours, but it took a complete turn after I got absolutely fed up with the whole thing. Let's just say "people had to restrain me from the bully" is a good way to put it. X-D

I heard next year Bionicles gonna be up in the clouds, we have use for Hahlis wings and for you haters, it should be better and the "Cordak Blasters" I think are cool, sure they can wiegh them down but think how much of a puch it could pack!!!

P.S:It is confirmed from BZpower that Kopeke is gonna be the new choronicler!

And then, guess what! Vakama is really Makuta in disgise, but a lone Vakhi kills him on the way to the moon!

If that happened, I seriously wouldn't be surprised.

Guy, I would disregard those Scholastic book postings, because Book 8 isn't even written yet, nor has Greg Farshtey given any description on the book. (According to his Blog, he intends to give a bland description of Book 8 to fuel suspense.) So this description is probably false. And I wouldn't pay much attention to Press Releases either, they tend to overdo it. Maybe they will sink Voya Nui, maybe they won't, but it seems pretty obvious that Voya Nui (even if it sinks) will NOT end up on its original continent, because the original continent is below the surface like Metru Nui.

These Cordak Blasters a.k.a. Chain-guns are another story. Not too fond of chain-guns in BIONICLE, but then again, if people can be half-biological, half-mechanical, they should be able to invent chain-guns. DOesn't mean we have to like it, but it's not forbidden by the "laws of BIONICLE".

Faith? I've got faith in BIONICLE, because I like the direction the story is going; complex, interesting. I wasn't 100% happy that Jaller & Co. became Toa, but that was basically a set decision. New heroes have to be releaesed every year, because they sell way better than villains, and stores won't re-order revamped Toa Nuva because the Nuva were just released 4 years ago, and that's not a lot in terms of retail time. Granted, a lot of the mystique is gone; it happens. I see it like this; BIONICLE is the best it can be right now. It will NEVER be the ideal story, because it lives for set sales, not story. Now, we can criticize all we like; maybe our ideas will be heard.

I've still got faith in BIONICLE, because in my humble opinon, its the best it can be at this point, and the storyline and sets are still awesome. (Granted, not Bahrag or Exo-Toa level awesome, but still awesome.)

P.S. Reserving judgement on the Toa Mahri for now. :-D And Ecto, not quite sure what you mean by that? I guess you're upset about the sky thing. :-/

VK

I heard next year Bionicles gonna be up in the clouds, we have use for Hahlis wings and for you haters, it should be better and the "Cordak Blasters" I think are cool, sure they can wiegh them down but think how much of a puch it could pack!!!

P.S:It is confirmed from BZpower that Kopeke is gonna be the new choronicler!

Kopeke is an issue that should be left alone.

Matoran: Kopeke would like to tell us a story.

Kopeke: ...

Sorry for DPing

I just re-read your post CT. "What a punch the Cordak will pack!" Of course. But doesn't that take the fun out of the Toa encountering problems? And if they run out of ammo? I'm sure Greg will have Jaller melt Pridak's head and make more bullets from that...

Chainguns belong in GI Joe, NOT Bionicle. As much as the squids are made of cruddy material and don't launch, they're original...

Next year, the end of the 3 year story arc might as well be the end of Bionicle. And LEGO will end it with a bang I'm sure...

With a freaking RPG mounted on Jaller's shoulders... :-X

That's the path Bionicle is on and all because of some measly Cordak Launchers. *n*

Kopeke is an issue that should be left alone.

Matoran: Kopeke would like to tell us a story.

Kopeke: ...

Sorry for DPing

I just re-read your post CT. "What a punch the Cordak will pack!" Of course. But doesn't that take the fun out of the Toa encountering problems? And if they run out of ammo? I'm sure Greg will have Jaller melt Pridak's head and make more bullets from that...

Chainguns belong in GI Joe, NOT Bionicle. As much as the squids are made of cruddy material and don't launch, they're original...

Next year, the end of the 3 year story arc might as well be the end of Bionicle. And LEGO will end it with a bang I'm sure...

With a freaking RPG mounted on Jaller's shoulders... :-X

That's the path Bionicle is on and all because of some measly Cordak Launchers. *n*

Good point. The squid launchers were original. But they actually shoot pretty good, you just need to experiment around. And you're probably right about Bionicle ending next year. :'-( NOO!!! I only started getting Bionicle in 2006!

"And if they run out of ammo? I'm sure Greg will have Jaller melt Pridak's head and make more bullets from that..." :-D

Maybe melting a Barraki's head is a little out of whack, but Hydraxon will probably say "Hey, look at the golden cavern of endless bullets! Axxon told me about this!"

For me this is next year-

Toa ruin Barraki by blasting them to bits with their Cordak Launchers.

Hydraxon finds six conveinientley located pods.

Pods take the Toa to a city in the sky where theyemerge as flying Toa.

Six evil guards who escaped the Oomn decide they want the Moli which flew up to the city and dissapeared.

The Moli creates a monsterous toucan as a guard.

The new collectables will be-Elemental Rockets for the Toa, and Shadow Grenades for the guards.

The toucan goes power mad.

The Toa seek help from a giant being who once ran the city.

The Toa blast the guards and then find that the toucan has become a blob of radioactive goo.

Toa kill blob and get the Moli.

Toa find Mata-Nui asleep and get the Nuva to wake him.

Bionicle goes out with a floop when Lego releases Mata-Nui as a set that includes a cheep plastic mask and looks like an enlarged Lhikan and makes it exclusive to K-Mart. No one ever finds this set and Lego begins a downwards spiral.

The Moli creates a monsterous toucan as a guard.
A giant toucan? Awesome!

Shakar