Sign in to follow this  
pocketmego

MOC - Scratch Build

The torso seems quite messy. The colorscheme is good, however.

Its a first try. I hope to refine thee build and improve my skills.

I'd recommend editing your previous post to add the photos instead of double-posting...

Anyway, what do you mean by scratch build? Scratch-and-sniff?

I'd recommend editing your previous post to add the photos instead of double-posting...

Anyway, what do you mean by scratch build? Scratch-and-sniff?

My first, and admittedly weak attempt to build body parts instead of using system parts. in this case the torso and parts of the legs and arms are utilizing Bionicle and HF parts. Obviously I'm no where near your level, but I'm trying to grow.

Ah, you mean a custom Technic build... well, the torso is a good start. :)

Ah, you mean a custom Technic build... well, the torso is a good start. :)

Yeah, thus I didn't really call it a custom technic build, because its most a custom torso and custom knees.

I quite like that torso design. It has a substantial amount of bulk and is nicely constructed from scratch without being excessively complex. The main area I have issue with is the area under the arms, which leaves very conspicuous gaps. I imagine the shoulders might also droop if this fellow sat on a shelf for a very long time, but it helps that he doesn't carry any particularly heavy weapons.

I quite like that torso design. It has a substantial amount of bulk and is nicely constructed from scratch without being excessively complex. The main area I have issue with is the area under the arms, which leaves very conspicuous gaps. I imagine the shoulders might also droop if this fellow sat on a shelf for a very long time, but it helps that he doesn't carry any particularly heavy weapons.

Thanks. Those gaps have been the bane of this model since I began. :)

Thanks. Those gaps have been the bane of this model since I began. :)

I hear you! That's a tough space to fill on a custom torso for sure. I've been wanting to build a male figure roughly Stormer XL's size but better-proportioned for a while now, but that's just one of the problems that keeps setting me back. Even Kit Martello (one of the most solidly-built models I've managed) has a gap under the arms visible from the back, plus the other armor on her sides is held in by friction.

If you have the pieces I'd recomend replacing that double knee piece (the two ball joint claws held together by cross bars) with a short doubled ended ball joint claw with a single in the middle. That'll make the legs a bit more tidy and maybe give you the option to add extra armor or bulking to the knees.

If you have the pieces I'd recomend replacing that double knee piece (the two ball joint claws held together by cross bars) with a short doubled ended ball joint claw with a single in the middle. That'll make the legs a bit more tidy and maybe give you the option to add extra armor or bulking to the knees.

Good idea. Thanks

I hear you! That's a tough space to fill on a custom torso for sure. I've been wanting to build a male figure roughly Stormer XL's size but better-proportioned for a while now, but that's just one of the problems that keeps setting me back. Even Kit Martello (one of the most solidly-built models I've managed) has a gap under the arms visible from the back, plus the other armor on her sides is held in by friction.

Still, you did a lot to cover that. Very solid model. I suspect the already tough difficulty of creating a lithe figure at standard size for a female would be all but TRIPLED at XL size. When I first got into HF, I bought BREEZE with no idea it was a female until I learned about her later.

In a line that has always basically said, "Its female because we say it is", this problem may well be forever. I know that currently no one has suffered more from this than Chi ERIS, who looks like Sam Eagle.

Edited by pocketmego