Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a set from Lego S@H due to the double VIP points offer and free delivery starting tomorrow. I am deciding between 10197 Fire Brigade and 10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van, but I am not sure which one to get. I am predominantly a City collector, but I don't own any other modular buildings and I'm not sure if I would get any more in the future. Thank you in advance for any answers. :classic:

~buddy~

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a set from Lego S@H due to the double VIP points offer and free delivery starting tomorrow. I am deciding between 10197 Fire Brigade and 10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van, but I am not sure which one to get. I am predominantly a City collector, but I don't own any other modular buildings and I'm not sure if I would get any more in the future. Thank you in advance for any answers. :classic:

~buddy~

I have the Fire Brigade and no other modulars, so I know the kind of scenario you'd get into. This decision is likely also to be the one that determines whether you'll get any of other modulars; if you get the FB, it's unlikely that you won't want more buildings to connect with it, and if not, you'll have missed out on it and perhaps not buy any other modulars because you'd feel that you'd missed out on the Fire Brigade.

Anyway, I can verify that the FB is indeed a glorious piece in anyone's collection. I don't have the Van, so I can't speak for that (although I certainly think it looks nice).

=)

Thanks for the advice Multiverse :classic: . I see what you're saying, the Fire Brigade does seem to look very good indeed. I now think that getting the Fire Brigade does seem like a good option. Thank you again for your advice. :thumbup:

~buddy~

Get the FB. And it Will Not be the last Modular you get. Trust me on this one ;)

Hey folks.

I recently re-watched Star Wars: Episode II on telly, and now I'm afraid to say that I'm in a serious Star Wars mood at the moment. Immeadiately, I dug out my LEGO Star Wars collection, but realised that I have an alarming lack of any good vehicles to play with admire. My question is, which Star Wars vehicle set would be a good buy for me right now? Preferably Prequel Trilogy, and within my budget of about £30 maximum.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Scorpiox

Yeah, get the Geonosian Starfighter, or Anakin's Fighter. Both a great sets, I've review them both too. :grin:

Get the FB. And it Will Not be the last Modular you get. Trust me on this one ;)

Thanks for the reply Faefrost, I think I will get the Fire Brigade. :classic:

~buddy~

I haven't bought a single Star Wars Set since the first wave as I entered the dark ages around that time, but now I will be getting the Star Wars Calendar from S@H as a gift and I thought I should take the opportunity to get back into Star Wars.

And now I want to get over the 55€ and get a free TC-14.

So I need a Star Wars set worth around 25-30€ but which one?

Edited by Delta_02_Cat

Delta 02 Cat,

I would go with either the Desert Skiff or Luke's Landspeeder (Landspeeder has been around for awhile so it may not be around much longer). If you're into the Prequel movies and battle droids, The Battle of Naboo is cool.

Is the Republic Striker Starfighter worth the huge amount of money?

Honestly? Not really. The Minifigs are decent. Especially if you are a fan of SwTOR. But the ship itself is not overly exciting. It's not bad. In many ways it is a nice design. But it is neither iconic, nor particularly attention grabbing. ( the Sith Fury is a much better looking ship, but also grossly overpriced.)

The Striker would be great if you can get it on sale. But it is a so so value at full price.

Honestly? Not really. The Minifigs are decent. Especially if you are a fan of SwTOR. But the ship itself is not overly exciting. It's not bad. In many ways it is a nice design. But it is neither iconic, nor particularly attention grabbing. ( the Sith Fury is a much better looking ship, but also grossly overpriced.)

The Striker would be great if you can get it on sale. But it is a so so value at full price.

Alright thanks, I'll probably just hold my money till a sale or just get something at a cheaper price.

I haven't bought a single Star Wars Set since the first wave as I entered the dark ages around that time, but now I will be getting the Star Wars Calendar from S@H as a gift and I thought I should take the opportunity to get back into Star Wars.

And now I want to get over the 55€ and get a free TC-14.

So I need a Star Wars set worth around 25-30€ but which one?

I would also recommend Luke's Landspeeder, primarily for the minifigures - they're a great start to a Star Wars collection. I'd also suggest the Ewok Attack set, as it's very well done - the new Ewoks are great.

I will be going to my first LEGO brand retail store next week when I visit Kansas City and I am torn. I definitely want to pick up the Haunted House and the Winter Village Set, but I am contemplating the Tower Bridge. I assume it will be out of production sooner than later, so I am aware of the urgency to pick it up, but does anyone own it? What are everyone's thoughts? I like the overall detail and I don't own any of those big display pieces like that, but I can't help but wonder maybe the money could be spent elsewhere, like the Joust or Pet Shop or both! My mom told me to spend $500 for Christmas, so I'm sure I'll end up spending a bit out of pocket, not a problem. Any thoughts?? Thanks

I just spent tons on Lego recently (Maersk train x2, Emerald Night, etc), and I thought I was done for the year. However, I have have been eyeing the Kingdom Joust and Medieval Market lately, especially with double points and free shipping. I mainly collect modulars, some city vehicles, architecture, minifigures, and (now) trains. So, I don't have any castle. Do I pull the trigger, or do I just save money for the 2013 sets? I know this is more opinion, but I am so on the fence.

I just spent tons on Lego recently (Maersk train x2, Emerald Night, etc), and I thought I was done for the year. However, I have have been eyeing the Kingdom Joust and Medieval Market lately, especially with double points and free shipping. I mainly collect modulars, some city vehicles, architecture, minifigures, and (now) trains. So, I don't have any castle. Do I pull the trigger, or do I just save money for the 2013 sets? I know this is more opinion, but I am so on the fence.

Your choice as always depends on your budget and your preferences. With that said MMV is among the absolute finest sets that Lego has ever made.

Your choice as always depends on your budget and your preferences. With that said MMV is among the absolute finest sets that Lego has ever made.

It is *Extremely* likely that the MMV is in it's twight time, it's 'place' in the lineup has been 'taken' by the Medevil Joust. In a over on Brickset, in a unconfirmable post but from a good source the MMV is on the list of End Of Life sets, aka it has already ceased production or will soon do so(in this case by the end of the year). Considering how long it's been out already I would not suprised if this is true.

I'm a big fan of the MMV and would reccomend it to just about anyone to start with but I believe that if you want one at (or near) RRP you should consider it now before they're gone.

It is *Extremely* likely that the MMV is in it's twight time, it's 'place' in the lineup has been 'taken' by the Medevil Joust. In a over on Brickset, in a unconfirmable post but from a good source the MMV is on the list of End Of Life sets, aka it has already ceased production or will soon do so(in this case by the end of the year). Considering how long it's been out already I would not suprised if this is true.

I'm a big fan of the MMV and would reccomend it to just about anyone to start with but I believe that if you want one at (or near) RRP you should consider it now before they're gone.

Both of your comments have made me decide to pull the trigger. I didn't realize (since I just got back into Lego about a year ago and since I don't have castle items) that the MMV was so old. Hmm. Now I guess I just have to decide whether I want one or two ...lol (the wife is going to kill me)!

I would like to get a modular, but cannot decide between Town Hall or Grand Emporium. I really like both, but am torn.

I would like to get a modular, but cannot decide between Town Hall or Grand Emporium. I really like both, but am torn.

I have all of the modulars besides Market Street, and I think Town Hall is one of my least favorites. The columns are nice, and it does come with a lot of pieces (if you are looking for a piece count to later build a MOC); however, I don't care for some of the interior decorations, and I really think the elevator and bell could have been handled differently. I also think something is just missing from the overall look. It's big (and impressive in that way), but in some ways, it's rather plain. I think GE has more texture and interesting aspects on the outside (SHOP sign, window washer, billboard, etc.); I think it has more eye candy. I also like the inside chandelier and escalators. Now, I will agree with some critiques that the inside is rather empty for being an emperium, but a few additions will take care of that.

Like I said, I have all of the modulars except MS, and I like TH in the row of buildings; however, if I had to choose one, I would pick GE, definitely. All in all though, it's a matter of preference.

Both of your comments have made me decide to pull the trigger. I didn't realize (since I just got back into Lego about a year ago and since I don't have castle items) that the MMV was so old. Hmm. Now I guess I just have to decide whether I want one or two ...lol (the wife is going to kill me)!

If you can still find them on the shelf the 7189 Mill Village Raid is a very good compliment to the MMV. As a city AFOL you will appreciate that these are the rarest of things. Civilian and commerce themed sets in the Castle line. These aren't the sets of the army builders. These are the sets of the town builders. Good stuff!

Oh and only one comment rewarding the age of the MMV set. It is extremely well designed. But it is from the deep dark times of the 2007's, before we learned to number our bags of parts.

Edited by Faefrost

If you can still find them on the shelf the 7189 Mill Village Raid is a very good compliment to the MMV. As a city AFOL you will appreciate that these are the rarest of things. Civilian and commerce themed sets in the Castle line. These aren't the sets of the army builders. These are the sets of the town builders. Good stuff!

Oh and only one comment rewarding the age of the MMV set. It is extremely well designed. But it is from the deep dark times of the 2007's, before we learned to number our bags of parts.

It's funny that you mention that set. As I was looking at reviews of the MMV and Joust, I was looking on BL to see if there was anything else that would fall into the same category as MMV (giving me more reason to pick it up). I came across that set, but I never really heard anyone talking about it. I am not entirely sold on that one as is, but I think it can easily be molded into something I would like (then again, I am always suprised once I build the set - they usually always look so much better in person).

Regarding the lack of numbers on the bags, I would actually look forward to it. In fact, I miss the days of small instruction booklets - when pieces weren't laid out, and you actually had to think to follow and build the sets.

please help to chose.

I can not decide between diagon alley, pet shop, grand emporium and kingdoms joust. I don't own any HP set or Modular buildings. I have almost all the kingdoms sets and sooner or later I will buy the joust. Now the price is around 110 EUR, but who knows for tomorrow.

I would also love to have 1 or 2 modulars. I can find the 2 mentioned for abour 123 EUR. It is obvious that the GE will soon be out of stock and therefore much expensive, so maybe this is the last chance for that price.

The same as for the GE goes with DA. I can buy one here on sale for 138 EUR. This is probably the last chance to get it.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

please help to chose.

If it were me, I'd go with Diagon Alley; but I'm a HP fan. I just get the impression that some of these last HP sets are going to be harder to find once they finally leave stores. Sets like the Joust are great, but once LOTR/Hobbit ends, I think Lego will go back to a classic medieval line and we'll see something similiar to the Joust again.

I will be going to my first LEGO brand retail store next week when I visit Kansas City and I am torn. I definitely want to pick up the Haunted House and the Winter Village Set, but I am contemplating the Tower Bridge. I assume it will be out of production sooner than later, so I am aware of the urgency to pick it up, but does anyone own it? What are everyone's thoughts? I like the overall detail and I don't own any of those big display pieces like that, but I can't help but wonder maybe the money could be spent elsewhere, like the Joust or Pet Shop or both! My mom told me to spend $500 for Christmas, so I'm sure I'll end up spending a bit out of pocket, not a problem. Any thoughts?? Thanks

I have the Tower Bridge and I love it. It's one of my wont-disassemble sets that sits in my living room permanently. But then I do have a bond with London and TB personally so that helps, but the build is really very impressive. If you have any specific questions about it or want to see certain details, let me know.