Geki Brick

Are AFOLs Lego Zombies

I get it. Lego brings you joy, and perhaps meaning to life. I was a brickhead from 2010-2012. I'm still kind-of one after seeing the truth behind Lego's market strategy especialy for licensed Lego sets. There's a little rumor going around that Legos are no longer the bricks they used to be. Now they are marketed as playsets with specific building instructions to appeal to people who want movie memoribilia like their most lucrative licenses: Star Wars and Harry Potter when it used to be up to our imagination what we built. However, we know that licensing is a lucrative business decision. Heck, we even have a "Dream Licenses" thread on the forums itself. Along with a pile of colored plastic bricks, Lego is also attempting to sell the emotional connection that comes with our favorite Star Wars vehicles, battles and events. Lego can only charge $300 for the Death Star if it has the instruction booklets to back up the fact that the 3000+ elements in the box when put together, will form a fuzzy likelihood of the Death Star. Otherwise, the "Death Star" set is simply a 3000 elements with infinite possibility. However, because we call it the Death Star, it deserves the $300 price tag. Don't fall for it SW junkies. The same goes for HP. They limit important minifigures like Yoda or Voldemort for a reason and throw them into the expensive sets so that they can sell on eBay for so much more. This is quite greedy from my point of view. Please don't go make a comment like "This is capitalism. Lego wants to maximize profits." I'm only saying this so that AFOL addicts can view Legos in a more objective light.

Why are AFOLs so excited about spoilers. This is especially prevalent in the Star Wars sets. Why must Lego officially make a set for you to own it. Why can't AFOLs MOC their sets and call it a day? We all know however, that forumers make the "This season is gonna break my wallet" or "Lego take my money" remark when they can alternatively, MOC the set they want.

This thread was really for myself as I was shrouded by the pretty colors of Lego spoilers. Unless what I'm saying is old news, and AFOLs voluntarily become Legos' zombie fans, let me know. But if not, I hope I've helped you think outside the box. Btw, I like that they're going green with smaller boxes.

Wow, you figured out the secret to monetary gain and marketing.

Congratulations. :classic:

The company only cares about money, it's all any company cares about and don't pretend to think otherwise because it's true. That being said, I don't think negatively about LEGOs' marketing practices, or their prices, just their quality control. I think the latter shouldn't fall below standard, but it's not like my opinion matters.

I also do wish LEGO would go back to showing alternate models and allowing more creativity to blossom in their manuals, but kids are still mocing and adults too, of course. So, it can't be too bad.

Well, I'm a LEGO-zombie then :laugh: I've got most of the SW sets and I try to collect all the SW-figs , build a Clone army , buy as many sets possible, hoard loads of pieces, get mad when the term "LEGOS" falls , and I try to infect as many people in my area as I can !! :laugh:

On the other hand I plan and build a lot of other stuff , do have a job and sorts of a social live besides LEGO :classic: . I'm quite happy :laugh: !!

I see your point , trying to give us a "eye opener" , and , I know that LEGO makes a lot of profit per set, that said, they use a lot of that money to give us more sets and parts :wub: !!

For a fact , LEGO is not the only option open to me, I buy cheap when I can , Bricklink a lot ( and try to limit myself ) . ( Has anyone seen the trend on Bricklink that you want more of a certain part , it's getting more expensive ?? ) , and actively search rummage sale, bootsale's , hoarders anonymous :laugh: and fleamarkets here in the Netherlands.

So, as a LZ ( LEGO-Zombie :laugh: ) I try not to spend as much as I can , but try to get the best for my buck ( Dutch preferb : Voor een dubbeltje op de eerste rang zitten . = as cheap as possible ) .

I do hate the " themed licenced part " in sets, that is what makes them expensive ! In the whole of the USC- MF there perhaps 3 parts that are exclusive to the set, not counting the figs , the rest is availible , but sellers take those parts and make them more expensive from the minimum quantities !! ( IMHO :wacko: )

Grtz Saint

Edited by Saint

Nope, sorry but your post has totally failed to make me "think outside the box".

I was going to write more but then I realized it would a) accomplish nothing, and b) probably result in me getting in trouble for being "negative".

Wow, you figured out the secret to monetary gain and marketing.

Congratulations. :classic:

The company only cares about money, it's all any company cares about and don't pretend to think otherwise because it's true. That being said, I don't think negatively about LEGOs' marketing practices, or their prices, just their quality control. I think the latter shouldn't fall below standard, but it's not like my opinion matters.

I also do wish LEGO would go back to showing alternate models and allowing more creativity to blossom in their manuals, but kids are still mocing and adults too, of course. So, it can't be too bad.

Have to agree with you here. TLG of course cares about money. Everyone does. But yeah, like you said, there's still a ton of creativity out there. MOCs are made everyday :classic:

I don't see the point of buying a whole set for one rare brick/fig, and I imagine not to many people can afford this/do this.

I guess we're all sort of "zombies" in a way, and I do see your post as a bit of an eye opener.

Congradulations! You've woken up and smelled the coffee as it were. :grin:

Now, go build something and enjoy what you have!

Joe

Hmm...interesting.

LEGOhas no control over secondary market prices. Nor do they put certain figs in big sets because they'll sell for more on eBay...

Now, as for 'to Death Star or not to Death Star', not everyone, myself included, are into MOCing. I definitely prefer the designers to make the sets, because for me personally, they can do it better.

It's not like having a set model is something new. Sure, they had alternate models on the back of the box, but the front still had the primary build with instructions. I think it's great to have the Licensed themes around as well, they certainly helped TLG rise to the top. I still prefer the original themes.

As for spoilers, I can take them or leave them. Of course, knowing what's coming helps in planning out the years purchases.

I get it. Lego brings you joy, and perhaps meaning to life. I was a brickhead from 2010-2012. I'm still kind-of one after seeing the truth behind Lego's market strategy especialy for licensed Lego sets. There's a little rumor going around that Legos are no longer the bricks they used to be. Now they are marketed as playsets with specific building instructions to appeal to people who want movie memoribilia like their most lucrative licenses: Star Wars and Harry Potter when it used to be up to our imagination what we built. However, we know that licensing is a lucrative business decision. Heck, we even have a "Dream Licenses" thread on the forums itself. Along with a pile of colored plastic bricks, Lego is also attempting to sell the emotional connection that comes with our favorite Star Wars vehicles, battles and events. Lego can only charge $300 for the Death Star if it has the instruction booklets to back up the fact that the 3000+ elements in the box when put together, will form a fuzzy likelihood of the Death Star. Otherwise, the "Death Star" set is simply a 3000 elements with infinite possibility. However, because we call it the Death Star, it deserves the $300 price tag. Don't fall for it SW junkies. The same goes for HP. They limit important minifigures like Yoda or Voldemort for a reason and throw them into the expensive sets so that they can sell on eBay for so much more. This is quite greedy from my point of view. Please don't go make a comment like "This is capitalism. Lego wants to maximize profits." I'm only saying this so that AFOL addicts can view Legos in a more objective light.

Why are AFOLs so excited about spoilers. This is especially prevalent in the Star Wars sets. Why must Lego officially make a set for you to own it. Why can't AFOLs MOC their sets and call it a day? We all know however, that forumers make the "This season is gonna break my wallet" or "Lego take my money" remark when they can alternatively, MOC the set they want.

This thread was really for myself as I was shrouded by the pretty colors of Lego spoilers. Unless what I'm saying is old news, and AFOLs voluntarily become Legos' zombie fans, let me know. But if not, I hope I've helped you think outside the box. Btw, I like that they're going green with smaller boxes.

I could not agree with you more on most of these things, especially when it seems that, nowdays, LEGO only cares about money and profits, and much less on quality control, number of minifigures in large sets and morality (i.e., stereotyping the animal warrior tribes in the Legends of Chima theme, which teaches children bad values :damn::thumbdown: ). By the way, I am a supporter of "consumerism" (I made that up as a brand new economic and/or political idealogy) -- not "capitalism" or "communism" -- where the consumer is the number one priority (economic individualism), as oppossed to big business (capitalism) and big government (communism) (both economic collectivism). :wink:

Edited by Good Cragger Fan

The main purpose of any for-profit company is to make money for its owners or shareholders.

Must buy Lego. :classic:

The main purpose of any for-profit company is to make money for its owners or shareholders.

Must buy Lego. :classic:

This is why I dlslike for-profit companies in general and like non-profit organisations (or companies), as they are not greedy in nature like for-profit companies.